It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

screening to prevent gays in priesthood

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 12:54 AM
link   

screening to prevent gays in priesthood

www.newsdesk.org

Sex-abuse cases have scandalized the Catholic Church in recent years, costing them hundreds of million dollars in settlements.

Catholic seminaries have been urged to screen the candidates for certain psychological traits -- including "deep-seated homosexual tendencies" -- that could later compromise their roles, the Irish Times reports.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
atheism.about.com
seattletimes.nwsource.com

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Catholic seminaries have been urged to screen the candidates for certain psychological traits -- including "deep-seated homosexual tendencies" -- that could later compromise their roles, the Irish Times reports.

I think that with everything else that is going on in the world between religion and the gay community, this is surely just going to fan the flames. these comments from the vatican are clearly linking homosexuality with pedophilia.

with prop 8 being high in the public arena at the moment this type of announcement can't be good for both sides of the arguement.

Mods: if this needs to be in different forum please move thanks.

www.newsdesk.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 01:46 AM
link   
No one has any comment to make on this issue?

not a one liner a bump up post

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 02:02 AM
link   
I have a comment...

This is from the 1st link:

Sex-abuse cases have scandalized the Catholic Church in recent years, costing them hundreds of million dollars in settlements.

Kinda interesting that the monetary loss is the primary concern here rather than the damage caused to both the victim and the institution of religion itself...

Though any damage to that 'industry' is welcome big time...

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Nothing really needs to be said.

Just observe and you will see.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Last I checked it was the pedarists that were ruining the churches financial gains, not homosexuals. Isn't there a difference between the two?

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Although it is my personal opinion that the Catholic Church has been completely wrong-headed about homosexuality in general and the matter of ordaining as priests men with "deep-seated homosexual tendencies" in addition to sexually active homosexuals, the newsdesk.org summation of the article in the Irish Times is really misleading.

It implies that men with homosexual tendencies will not be permitted to enter seminary, making no mention of:

Speaking at a news conference in the Vatican, however, prefect for Catholic education Cardinal Zenon Grocholewski said the use of psychological tests should become neither "obligatory" nor "ordinary practice".
article in the Irish Times

Moreover, the reference to the financial burden of lawsuits against the Church is added by the NewsDesk reporter, and not found in the Irish Times article.

As far as I can find, the new suggestion makes no connection between homosexuality and pedophilia, but just continues the Church's (in my opinion) misguided belief that homosexuality itself is a matter of dysfunction in personal relationships that may require additional support or a pause in the discernment process:

This new document argues that if seminary students demonstrate areas of grave immaturity, then "the path of formation will have to be interrupted". Such areas of "immaturity" included deep-seated homosexual tendencies, unclear sexual identity, difficulty with the celibate life, excessive rigidity of character and lack of freedom in relations.

So it's not just homosexuals they're targeting, but any men who may have particular difficulty with the celibate life – and in their opinion that includes homosexuals.

And the decision is not based on financial considerations or on the belief that homosexuals are pederasts.

[edit on 11/23/08 by americandingbat]

new topics

top topics

join