It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this what I think it means?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Good evening everyone. I was reading a very awesome script. I was understanding everything accordingly until I ran into this verse which confuse me in a profound way. can anyone please elaborate?

22Slaves, obey your earthly masters in everything; and do it, not only when their eye is on you and to win their favor, but with sincerity of heart and reverence for the Lord. 23Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men,

Colossians 3:22 NIV

I know the history behind slaves being in ancient times, and the bible being used for world domination. However I feel this is an insert by the catholic church. For this same reason IMHO christian these days aren't what their supposed to be. A lot of Christians, misinterpret the bible because religion establishes a mastership or collection of minds. Which in this case the catholic church inserted these words, as a foundation to make believe one must search within this world for God and not within.

"Search not in outer space, but in inner-space. You shall find worlds."

- Lee

We as humans were created in the creators image. Though the bible might have been tampered with. However it was STILL inspired by man. I think this verse speaks about slaves, like if they were us. We must work. Always. Not only in our jobs or careers. Even in spirituality. Therefore we will always be slaves. Please any thoughts?

Edit- Qoute

[edit on 21-11-2008 by Solo954]

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Could not find a way to really word it, so I searched those particular verses, here is what I found, and it sounds right to me.

The main application is to go beyond simply fulfilling your responsibility. To serve whole-heartedly, as you would also want someone to serve you. A good servant doesn't have to ask his master what he wants him to do, but rather he understands his master's mindset and knows what is best to meet his master's objectives. I think Daniel was a good example in these matters. While serving whole-heartedly, he did not compromise his godly values.

Source

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solo954
Good evening everyone. I was reading a very awesome script. I was understanding everything accordingly until I ran into this verse which confuse me in a profound way. can anyone please elaborate?

22Slaves, obey your earthly masters in everything; and do it, not only when their eye is on you and to win their favor, but with sincerity of heart and reverence for the Lord. 23Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men,

Colossians 3:22 NIV

I know the history behind slaves being in ancient times, and the bible being used for world domination. However I feel this is an insert by the catholic church. For this same reason IMHO christian these days aren't what their supposed to be. A lot of Christians, misinterpret the bible because religion establishes a mastership or collection of minds. Which in this case the catholic church inserted these words, as a foundation to make believe one must search within this world for God and not within.

"Search not in outer space, but in inner-space. You shall find worlds."

- Lee

We as humans were created in the creators image. Though the bible might have been tampered with. However it was STILL inspired by man. I think this verse speaks about slaves, like if they were us. We must work. Always. Not only in our jobs or careers. Even in spirituality. Therefore we will always be slaves. Please any thoughts?

Edit- Quote

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 11:35 PM
link   

However it was STILL inspired by man. I think this verse speaks about slaves, like if they were us. We must work. Always. Not only in our jobs or careers. Even in spirituality. Therefore we will always be slaves. Please any thoughts?

The Bible was inspired by GOD....not by MAN. Man simply wrote what was given to him by God.

And yes, I do not believe that God would have us be lazy.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 11:36 PM
link   
To me a simpler sentiment would be: If something is worth doing, then it's worth doing to the best of your ability.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Well said Resinveins!

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Why are so offended. Why cant I ask? Doesn't the word say seek and you shall find? You both are the same reason I talk about, your slaves to the corruption of other mens thought. Should work to earn YOUR very own ability and become the master of your OWN fate.
Live with your decisions and learn to make better ones.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I am not offended, by all means....express yourself

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by desertdreamer

I believe were not created to become slaves or property to him. We were created to be creative on purpose. However we don't follow that these days because we are forced to believe in religion and not in spirituality.
People may questions his existence or may even question his death. However no one will ever question his teachings. It is not wrong to learn from other people. But it is wrong to not learn from them. What people dont understand is that the bible was created back then, so it is more relevant to ideology back then. More questions surface as more evidence show up as the prophesy comes closer, call it the Illuminati, WWIII or 2012. We all might have differences but we all have one mission. We must save ourselves. The question will always remain, "But what if your wrong?". Sounds like a rebuttal when I do sales for my company. You cant be wrong, when you KNOW your right.

[edit on 22-11-2008 by Solo954]

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 12:19 AM
link   
if you're looking to the bible for inspiration then i suggest you aim a little higher. maybe the label on the back of anything you pull from you cupboard.

we all have masters, we all serve. if you're looking for a point then you're out of luck. if you're looking for an answer just pick one from the millions that are out there. if you're looking for truth then buy a jimi hendrix album.

if you're looking for empathy, get in line.

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Solo954

Originally posted by desertdreamer

I believe were not created to become slaves or property to him. We were created to be creative on purpose. However we don't follow that these days because we are forced to believe in religion and not in spirituality.
People may questions his existence or may even question his death. However no one will ever question his teachings. It is not wrong to learn from other people. But it is wrong to not learn from them. What people dont understand is that the bible was created back then, so it is more relevant to ideology back then. More questions surface as more evidence show up as the prophesy comes closer, call it the Illuminati, WWIII or 2012. We all might have differences but we all have one mission. We must save ourselves. The question will always remain, "But what if your wrong?". Sounds like a rebuttal when I do sales for my company. You cant be wrong, when you KNOW your right.

[edit on 22-11-2008 by Solo954]

Ahhhhh, but we are his.....we are created in his image. Yes, the Bible does seem alot of times to apply to a different time and place, but the teachings are meant to transcend time and are meant for us all. It is a guide book, everything that we need is right there.....it is just that we do not all choose to use it. We have all become too "busy" in life, things got alot more complicated along the way.

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Resinveins

Some of us might respond that being a slave is not "worth doing".

Even when I was a Baptist intent on becoming a minister, I could never really get my head around the cannonization of the Epistles. The argument that God wouldn't let the pen-holders change anything breaks down when you consider that the very last words in the bible are a warning not to add or subtract. Why would god forbid something that could not possibly be done? Likewise the idea that the cannonization process was influenced by divine inspiration breaks down since there actually are multiple cannons in use by faiths that share a common essential doctrine of salvation (not to mention the fact that two of the cannonized books don't even include the word God, and that Jesus made allusion to prophecies from uncannonized books.

I considered them useful historical context for the gospels, but there was no getting around the fact that these are letters between mortal men in positions of worldly leadership, and were not primarily intended to record a prophetic experience. There's just no getting around the fact that the epistles have been tainted by this world and that unquestioning obedience to them is absolutely tantamount to the doctine of papal infallibility that protestants so love to criticize catholics for. The only difference is that Catholics think that in any difference of opinion between two infallible men, the one currently living takes precedence, whereas protestants only acknowledge the infallibility of dead church leaders.

In my opinion, each side is half right. Protestants are right about Catholics being wrong, and Catholics are right about Protestants being wrong- but both sides are wrong about thinking that the words of church leaders are infallible.

If you absolutely insist on living your life by a philosophy that predates (and thus ignores) 99% of Western knowledge (and I'm not saying you should) then just do yourself one favor. Look at the beginning of each book and passage for the attribution.

Because some parts say "God showed me such and such which is to come" and some parts say "Jesus said to his followers...". You can tell those are the good parts because they are clearly marked as being from Jesus to you the follower, or from God to you the guy in the future.

But other parts (the epistles) say "This is a letter from Joe Schmoe at the church in Bumsville, for Jane Doe at the church in Podunk".

And I'm not ready to be a good slave just because Joe Schmoe told Jane Doe that it's worth doing. A lot of people died to end slavery thinking that God was on their side, and since A. They won, and B. It's convenient for me, I'm going to go ahead and assume that God was on their side. And that pretty much means the verse in question here goes right out the window for me.

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 03:32 AM
link   
The verse simply means that the Christian movement was a working class movement. And a working class hero is something to be. The Christian movement consisted of simple workers like fishermen, masons, carpenters and so on. They were in direct oposition to the elite, politically and religiously. I see Jesus as the first Social Democrate, that's why I vote Labours and reject Catholicism. That way the paper-boy can become the editor, and priests can marry and have children like the rest of us. That's a golden middleway for me. Of course had it been up to me, the only perfect system that is better than parliamentarism and democracy, is the rightious and responsible king. Here in Norway I am lucky enough to have the best of both worlds. Sound democracy and a good king. Equality and unity among and across social classes and boundries, and as long as the king is on the throne -- Freedom.

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I couldn't agree with you more. For plenty of reasons I feel God has done a lot for me. Their were times in my life when I wished I would've never met God. But the more I tried not to believe, the more my faith grew. Let's just say that I have a few brothers and sisters that teach me a lot. However I didn't learn from religion, I learned from myself. That's why I believe when Jesus' mentions the church was built for every believer, he symbolizes something unearthly. That's why we must search within ourselves and not within the Earth. Knowledge is food, and righteousness is water for the soul.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by The Vagabond

Simple enough. If something does not seem worth doing, then why do it?By all means don't.

My point was... if you're going to go to the trouble of doing anything... don't half-ass it.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Resinveins

That's the whole point of slavery though: the slave doesn't have a choice. Slavery was the subject of the quote you were interpreting. Your interpretation was inconsistent with the quote, possibly because it attempted to ignore the inescapable moral weakness of the quote.

Halfassing it as a slave was a method of resistance via civil disobedience. The quote instructs the reader not to resist slavery.

I submit to you that if it is evil to tollerate evil, and if slavery is evil, then this quote from the bible instructs the reader to do evil.

I understand your suggestion that this instruction to do evil was accidental, caused by a poorly chosen example which was not integral to the moral, however such a dangerous flaw, even if accidental, casts as much doubt upon the value of the bible for moral instruction as there would be if the flaw were intentional.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond

I understand your suggestion that this instruction to do evil was accidental, caused by a poorly chosen example which was not integral to the moral, however such a dangerous flaw, even if accidental, casts as much doubt upon the value of the bible for moral instruction as there would be if the flaw were intentional.

I agree with you here. That verse sounds like a foundation to establish a method of mass mind control, same way they changed the names to our holidays. That's one reason why bibles don't have copyrights.

Edit - spelling

[edit on 23-11-2008 by Solo954]

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Bibles should also not have a price tag on them either....but they do.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 08:47 AM
link   
All I can think of is that it maybe has something to do with the G20 financial summit that maybe soon become a G21, G22, or G23 or wahtever.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I still believe however it is good to meditate and seek answers. If I chose to "work" as a slave, and in return I have a "master" that I may question and seek unlimited answers, and at the same time he provides me with super-man like powers, then it isn't slavery.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join