It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are rich people so successful?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Why do rich people seem to be in the right place and the right time all the time?

Is it their personality?

What is it?

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   
a combination of intent , mindset , work ethic and sometimes blind luck. Look at Paris Hilton. If she was born Paris Smith She'd be working at wallmart.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 10:13 PM
link   
I think you have it backwards! Successful people are Rich.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

Why do 80% of your threads start by asking a question?

Anyway......I think the most popular answer is going to be hard work.

[edit on 21-11-2008 by RRconservative]

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 10:26 PM
link   
The majority have worked hard for their wealth and deserve every penny of it. Some luck is involved - it always is. Taking advantage of the right situation in the right way at the right time is also involved.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by DarthChrisious

I do agree with this, most of the "rich" people, I do not know what your cutoff for rich is, have just worked for what they have, were tenacious enough to see it through, and smart enough to play their cards well.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

even though I agree with Shystargazer, (maybe you got this backwards)
but...
Money is power. It doesn't take much ingenuity in this world to figure this out. Once you got it, its a matter of time before you discover what you can control, create, and destroy with it. As long as you got money there is no wrong place, no wrong time, you can be a d*** if you like, your not using your words to talk anyway.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 10:46 PM
link   
My grandparents were (they are no longer alive) extremely rich.

They survived the depression and were both raised in very poor families. They built their own business(s) and worked their arses off and were frugal with their money. Nothing was EVER handed to them. They worked, and they worked hard up until their 70s.

That is their success story.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 10:47 PM
link   
I don't know about successful.......

Look around you see much success with the physical shape our oceans, atmosphere and lands are in?

I look at successful people that are ones who are in great shape, honest and ethical, and promote prosperity.

The monetary system is not ethical or of good morals.

So I'd have to say the worlds rich are fairly unsuccessful at providing a stable prosperous existence, as it seems to be failing. So with all thier riches what have they done to? it seems not enough are sucessful.

I know there are some people whom work hard and of good morals and try to play the system to benefit everyone and are rich.....just not nearly enough of those corrupt rich ones now.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 10:57 PM
link   
The reason people are successful and rich is simple. They follow a few simple rules. They live in modest homes, they don't buy new cars every year, and they work their butts off. There's a book out there called "The Millionair Next Door," I'm sorry, but I can't remember the author. He interviewed millioniares all over the country, and found that they all lived the same way. They didn't flaunt their wealth, lived frugaly, and worked hard.
A guy I went to high school with bought a little 7-11 type quick stop. He drove the same truck for 12-15 years. He saved every penney, bought more stores and now I have no idea how much he's worth. (All his friends remember when he finally broke down and bought a new truck. We found out later that he had offically made his !st million)

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 11:42 PM
link   
many people are smart and hardworking but are complacent.

it's the smart hardworking people that are willing to take risks are the ones who become rich.

Of course there also the lucky ones, or the ones who lack morals and become rich the easy way.

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shystargazer

i agree - you have support systems all around you and rich people have better support systems

I know this because I once had to go to a totally new place and try to get established. I knew no one and I was not a tourist and I had to leave my usual every day support systems behind me - things from knowing how to get around the city where i lived to managing every day things - it was very difficult

if you are rich then even if you travel you have those support systems there - you can afford taxis or you can afford chauffers and if you are rich people want to be your friend fast and try and assist you right away hoping to become friends

try getting along without even the simplest things and you really value support systems even if you never had as much going for you as Paris Hilton

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Rich people are so successful because they are rich. Successful people are rich because they are so successful.

Seems pretty simple.

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Money alone doesn't always equal power.

Positions of power are dependent on many things: who you know, what you know, luck, skill, determination, MONEY, etc.

In the case where money is one of the determining factors of rising to power, it is safe to assume that the money was either inherited (or in some cases, the power, sans-money, was inherited), or personally worked for. In either case, work and determination are involved at some point, personally or not. "Money doesn't grow on trees."

Conversely, lottery winners are just lucky, and usually don't rise to positions of power.

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by prototism
Money alone doesn't always equal power.

Positions of power are dependent on many things: who you know, what you know, luck, skill, determination, MONEY, etc.

In the case where money is one of the determining factors of rising to power, it is safe to assume that the money was either inherited (or in some cases, the power, sans-money, was inherited), or personally worked for. In either case, work and determination are involved at some point, personally or not. "Money doesn't grow on trees."

Conversely, lottery winners are just lucky, and usually don't rise to positions of power.

Well as I agree, money alone does not equal power, as anyone with money can easily shoot themselves in the foot and even forget what money is. I say money is a main ingredient. If I win the lottery and I want a position of power, of course I will have to have a plan, I can't just look at my bank account and become a successful entreprenuer. With money the ball is all ready rolling, and it can roll as fast as you push it, the only thing you have to do is guide it in the right direction so you don't hit any walls.

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 10:35 AM
link   
They know the right people. Its the same within a corporation as it is on a global level. Its the unofficial relations that matter.

[edit on 22-11-2008 by Copernicus]

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I put it down to a lack of conscience that allows them to feel less guilt for their actions.

Me....I'm the richest person I know but I'm broke most of the time.

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shystargazer

I agree.

People arent succesfull because they are rich. They are rich because they are succesful.

But then, what of people such as Paris Hilton, She is rich and had done nothing really worth while in her life.

I guess one could argue that her family is rich because as a whole the hilton family has been succesful and Paris is just vasking in the light of their successfulness.

But yeah, in general people arent succesful because they are rich. They are rich because they are succesful.

just think of Bill gates. He was not rich at all as a kid. Middle class I guess. He was so succesful with microsoft he is now a billionaire. His success has brought money to his family for generations to come.

new topics

top topics

join