It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Social-Networking for the Survivalist!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I got lost watching eyeswideshuts Jungle Marine video, wow that was a trip, think that these are the kinds of people we will have to fight, not the Marines I mean combat ready people that are going to take one look at our sorry pathetic little pop guns and laugh as they tear us to shreds.

Good thing I believe our Military will eventually go rougue and help change the face of politics world wide. They will only take orders to an extent, and then they get their minds right and join the last world war.

Edit to get on topic, wow I need a nap, something I wont get in the near future I bet.

Well, OP I have seen tones of these start em up threads here and especially in the Survival Forum here on ATS, I avoid them because I am paranoid and dont trust anyone. They always seem to fizzle out. Too much information given out blindly is a sure trap. I will not be part of your scheme to get info on members...

[edit on 22-11-2008 by antar]

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   
"They" "Them" - I should've realized it would be hard to look for advice on a conspiracy theory website. Nevertheless, I'm still going to do it. I think if done properly, the militant/survivalist would be the minority; a focus on families, businesses, schools, etc. If we focus on simply creating a database for individuals to research sustainable methods of survival planning, I can't foresee any immediate problem.

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackOps719

Right on BlackOps, well said, I like the way you put it mildly with substancial back up to your claims. It is a good idea, but why hand ourselves over blindly, this Op has not thought this through, just jumped in the waters to test a few fast moving thought processes, cant blame him for that.

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I'm sorry, I think I already said the reason I came here was to get more ideas and rough out the kinks. It's not like a site like this can be constructed in a day - I foresee months of planning at least and it starts here with constructive discussion, no?

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Excellent idea. Top class. If it does go ahead, make sure you're making some green out of it, if there's any green to be had. I know that's not the point, but still. I wouldn't like to see Marrs etc. making out like kings if you were gonna put it under the ATS brand.

Starred&flagged (1st time i ever done that)

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   
It's a good idea in the sense that should something terrible happen, we would have a plan, however, its too, for lack of a better word, open.

How can we vouch for the people viewing/joining the site.

Call it paranoia, but putting any plans on the internet would be a very bad idea...

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Sorry JHathaway....I wasn't trying to rain on your parade or crap on your idea. I was just trying to offer a realistic look at the downside of what you are proposing.

It is sort of similar to how mob bosses and organized crime leaders back in the old days never discussed business over the telephone. They knew that odds were high that somebody was listening in and it was to their benefit to keep things simple...and most of all private.

Having an online forum for the survivalist movement would be a virtual big zapper for thousands of people who would stand a much better chance of success if their plans and their personal information were kept secret. When the time ever came for martial law to be implemented (which many beleve it will) all the police/military/Blackwater intelligence agencies would have to do is use your membership list as a who's who of people to pinpoint and target.

I.E. troublemakers, patriots, those who are armed and would likely resist and or pose a threat. Nothing on the internet is 100% private. I have serious doubts that much of anything can be kept private if the right agency were to become interested in what you are up to.

Either way...I wish you the best. Dont let people like me be a naysayer against something you feel is worthwhile to pursue. In the end everyone has to do what they feel is best for their own survival.

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Jhathaway

I think it's a great idea that me and a handful of people I work with have already implimented a plan of action in case of such a situation would arise. I would love to share idea's with all that read the thread. Good work, we are behind you.

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by LetsPlayFeedTheGater
Where I live, we already have a base set up.

its secluded and easy to defend.
we have drawn up plans for liven off the land., key defense locations.
and plenty of gunz!~
anyways , wen sit its the fan, every one is to go there .

currently working on a hue supply of canned foods, until the farms are set up.

call us crazy , but theres a bunch of us!!!

edit:

apparently my h key didn't work...

[edit on 22-11-2008 by LetsPlayFeedTheGater]

Remember that the "easy to defend" deal is only an allusion. If you think you have an easy to defend place, then its time to find a different place.

You need to ask, easy to defend from what? Everyone else who thinks it too is easy to defend? Roving Gangs? Artillery and Mortars? Airstrike?

How easy to defend do you think your spot is now?

Guaranteed, if you think its easy to defend, dont think someone not in your circle hasnt figured that spot out either, or a way to get around your defenses.

Dont know how useful your gunz are going to be, most people prefer Guns.

Ok, kidding aside. If everyone is going to go their, you have to think, well is that a place I want to really be?
Community support is a great thing, but in the opening salvo of Chaos, that is not some place you want to be. The best place would be either defending your own castle, or if your in the city, OUT of the City in a friend or families house whom you have an agreement of mutual support and trust with your life and families life.
A FRIEND or A FAMILY member. The less people know, the longer you live.

What should you have?
Food and water that is self contained or raw ingredients you are familiar with and can utalize easily.
A way to defend that Food and Water. Scattergun, Rifles, Pistol, a good supply of claymores.

And a Basement, no not for making your wares, but dirt and concrete stop flak a lot better then Paper, which is what your house is made of, unless you have a concrete home with very thick walls. No cinderblock doesnt count, but is better then paper and chalk walls.

Oh, and put some food that is easily found by intruders. Better they leave with something than killing you because they know your holding out.

Living off the land is great! However, make sure you also have seeds of common foods that can easily grow in your bug out area or home and that they are viable and you know how to grow. Think the more color the veggie has, the less vitamin suppliments you will need.

Paper money. Yes, Paper and coin money is still going to be used, even in a barter system, because that is what everyone has available to them, though their worth may be different. Save your gold for large purchases, generators, No One is gonna make change for an ounce of gold on a purchase of a loaf of bread.

Big Stick Theory. Make sure if you are going to let people know that you have a stick, that they are darned sure your stick is bigger then theirs. Otherwise, keep your peace about your piece. Got it!?! Guns and ammo will be a traded commodity during mass Chaos. Buy lots of 22 shells, they have more value then their boom content. Think how much copper is now compared to a while ago.

"bad spelling alert"

[edit on 22-11-2008 by arcnaver]

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I for one think that an integral part of this site could not only be a public listing of natural parks, unique points of interest and such - but offer an extension for publicity to alternative communities and communes across the world. I for one know of three communes that come to mind- ones I have visited in the past, where their inhabitants have already begun living off of the land. After talking with an old friend from one, he said he would be more than pleased to put out a little information; not only about their establishment, but their aspects of cultivation and sustainable living. I think this may be slowly coming together.

International Communities

[edit on 22-11-2008 by Jhathaway]

p.s: Perhaps part of the site could be directed towards offering a free marketplace for people to connect and develop bartering relations?

[edit on 22-11-2008 by Jhathaway]

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 09:21 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by omega007

First, everyone needs their own plan to get out of their location. Second, various meeting areas for each region should be considered. Third, planning activities per groups should start now. Each person should have or make their own survival backpack including extreme survival gear. Learn how to use the gear now. Go off the grid for a few test drives on your gear and your abilities. Everyone must have common sense and basic survival skills in the group (Get some real advice from people were recon in Nam.) Your idea is very sound.

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Not meaning to throw water on the fire, but... having said that. When it hits the fan, the internet will be closed. TV will be propaghanda. Rumors will abound. Dis-information will be given. Freedom will be restricted. My suggestion.

1. Plan to move to a very low population area.
2. Plan your escape routes well, use secondary roads, not hyways.
3. keep a portable radio handy, solar or hand crank powered if possible.
4. keep, aspirin, bleach, iodine, antibiotic cream, vitamins, sugar packets, salt packets, peanut butter, matches, alluminum foil, bars of soap, tooth paste, etc. (fills a duffle bag) Also good outdoor boots, clothing etc.
5. keep you plans secret.

However, if you hear we go to any kind of nuclear alert, get far away from cities and industrial centers. Even then it may be hard to survive if more than a few nukes are employed. Nuclear war will probably be by accident anyway.

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 10:41 PM
link   

I think in spite of the validity of the objections re timewasters and surveillance, the idea for the site is good if it should lead to likeminded folks becoming rolled up in a ball together. I think small group efforts work best. Do keep us informed as you make it real.

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Fromabove - Knowing your options available (where you can go, who you can seek out, where you can turn) WSHTF is key. Of course things are going to be wild. No doubt the internet will be down. Call it 'premitive' civil disaster planning.
While reading your post it sparked another idea -- after establishing 'plans' with your networked friends, perhaps they could be saved in an easy .pdf format/layout for printing and safe keeping.

-Trying to keep the creative juices flowing.

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Just my two cents here but less disclosure equals more protection. While I love learning and the exchange, I wouldn't put it out there on the internet or even over the phone for that matter. Less is better.

And I wouldn't brag or disclose what I would be doing either. I had a friend say to me, "I'll just come to your house" (to avoid making any preparations for her family on her part) but thankfully she lives over a 100 miles away....

Simplify, simplify, simplify. Focus on what you really need to survive and think about (A JUST IN CASE SCENARIO) what if the government did go bankrupt, or your state did - and there was no social security checks or disability checks or unemployment checks or the power was out .....THINK NOW - IN CASE.

There would be long lines for food, gas, etc., IF YOU COULD AFFORD IT. Or maybe there will be "chits" or something, so you could get your ration for the day. There will be blackmarket items for sale sure, but for how much? I would think about how to survive if any of these scenarios were to happen - IN CASE. It may be a bit overwhelming to think about, but planning ahead keeps one from panicking should anything occur.

I think ideally, the safest would be land somewhere to grow food on, you could sleep in a tent if need be until you could build something but if you had the skills to survive - with your family - out of the city where it might become dangerous (people would be pretty mad if the system "broke down" and crime would become rampant) and you could grow your own food, it seems the odds would be with you as opposed to staying in a big city when all h*** breaks loose - or a big depression takes hold (and I do think that is where we are headed), so all I'm saying is THINK NOW, ACT NOW, PREPARE IF YOU CARE but don't depend on or take for granted internet access/cell phones/power being on/the government to save you, etc., if things get tough and it might.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by centrifugal
Primary Skill: Computer Programming
Secondary Skills: Bilingual, Cook, fishing

As mentioned earlier, even an email account can be traced back to an IP, and IP traced back to a location. Since I have some background in computer programming, my first recommendation would be to create an encrypted messaging program of some sort. There would have to be very few developers and the source code must be secured. That doesn't mean i'm volunteering, it is just a suggestion.

[edit on 22-11-2008 by centrifugal]

I disagree.

Ips can only get the authorities an ISP location not the actual house and computer.
In locations with apartment blocks the IP is one big shared connection so cyber recon isn't as easy as it sounds.

A few of us in the UK (about ten at the last count) have our own site we can use if TSHTF. The key is to find out if the persons you want on it are kindred spirits and who you want to be with or work with.
Your suggestion may be well meaning and believe me I've considered it.
But I've chosen for our group to keep it very low-key and the url on a need to know basis from meeting them on ATS etc etc.
So having a low-key website you give out the details on a need to know basis is best.
Don't list your 'skills' or attributes online, besides getting the wannabes and kids wasting your time you don't want the PTB harvesting the info and flagging up the site.
Trust me, I've worked close to the military intelligence section (only briefly thank God) and they have intel boys called 'collators' whose sole job is to screen the internet for 'threats' and pass the info up the chain of command.
After 9/11 kicked off they've been trawling and scooping around like never before.
Now if they are doing that, you can bet your bottom dollar MI5 and all the other spook agencies going about these days are doing the same.
So, good idea, but don't publish the website on open forum, unless you don't mind the PTB from having a good gander and possibly keeping tabs on you.
At best the PTB may realise that survivalists are not really a threat and should be left alone.
But somehow, one thing I've noticed over the years is the 'control' factor of Big Government over the little folk (us) is getting tighter and tighter.

Good luck with the project.

[edit on 23-11-2008 by WatchRider]

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I think you better write how to keep the Internet and website alive after the global collapse and in absence of electricity. If you have this answer - than you can ask about such a social network.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   

I for one am not posting my skills stores weapons tactics or any thing of the like on your or anyone elses web site but thanks for offering such a site ....it will make it easier for the government to pick and choose who is a REAL threat from the posers.......I can only hope that I myself or someone like me gets to their supplies and munitions first....are you by chance "retired" from the military

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   
As I understand it, the website in question is for the dissemination of information BEFORE TSHTF. Elecrticity and internet commo afterwards wouldn't really be an issue, since we'll be up to our necks in alligators at the time - no time to dash off a quick IM at that point anyhow.

For those worried about IP tracing, check out TOR and PRIVOXY proxies. They won't eliminate the possibility, but they sure do make it tougher - possibly not worth the effort if you keep your communications low - key and avoid certain trigger words that would set off a more in-depth search. They're used by various military/human rights/name-your-poison groups worldwide to thwart gov't intrusions already - including in China.

Encryption of commo can be accomplished with PGP, or the likes of it for e-mails/messaging. personally, i prefer TrueCrypt ( www.truecrypt.org ), as it will encrypt pretty much anything with some hyper-strong encryption, and is open source so you can check out the code yourself for any back doors that might be left open. it will encrypt an entire hard drive, including the system drive. A possible drawback to it is that messages have to be encrypted and sent as attachments. I haven't found that to be a problem. If the central server is encrypted with it, and the admin "forgets" the password, well... just don't try that in Britain or a few other interesting places, as I understand "forgetting" your password there is good for 2 years or so in the crossbar hotel.

keep in mind that NO computer is unhackable, not even MINE (although I DO try!) and if a computer is hacked, not amount of encryption will keep it from being ransacked while it's running and the encryption algorithm is in place.

and finally, once again to stress the point, if you're looking for internet based commo, or electricity based ANYTHING after TSHTF, then you've probably already lost, or at the very least made your job FAR more difficult than necessary.

A social networking site sounds like a pretty good idea, if properly fed and cared for. Personally, I'm pretty anti-social, so I don't think I'd do too much networking, but as a repository for information, contacts, and "how-to" type stuff, I think it'd be a good idea. Keep in mind, though, that any location info I give is gonna be 500 to 1000 meters away from where I REALLY am, so that it doesn't rattle my beer glass too much while I'm sitting there watching the explosions I've called down on my position...

nenothtu out

[edit on 23-11-2008 by nenothtu]

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join