It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida Boy Arrested For Gas Attack

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Florida Boy Arrested For Gas Attack

www.thesmokinggun.com

NOVEMBER 21--A 12-year-old Florida student was arrested earlier this month after he "deliberately passed gas to disrupt the class," according to police. The child, who was also accused of shutting off the computers of classmates at Stuart's Spectrum Jr./Sr. High School, was busted November 4 for disruption of a school function. A Martin County Sheriff's Office report, a copy of which you'll find below, notes that the 4' 11" offender admitted that he "continually disrupted his classroom environment by breaking wind and shutting off several computers." The boy, whose name was redacted from the police report released today, was turned over to his mother following the arrest. The young perp turned 13 on November 15.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Well, when we thought we heard it all...then comes this story.

Seems like more and more children are being arrested for absolute non-sense. This story only reinforces the lack of tolerance and common sense practiced by so many school administrators across the nation.

It sounds as though several teachers had become quite frustrated with his antics and decided to "teach him a lesson" after threatening to call the police. Once they realized they had to stick to their word, or look "weak," the police were called.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

www.thesmokinggun.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I've had quite a lot of stomach troubles of late, and on a daily basis I pass gas in a very loud and obnoxious way, sometimes continually.

My point is that, if I were in that school, they'd have to arrest me daily for something that I cannot control, nor do a thing about.

What a shame, and what a stupid reason to arrest someone, "disruption" or not. Funnily enough, I always told my brother that the day would come when people would become so outrageous that they would start arresting people for farting.

Strange to see that prediction come true.

Sigh. Sad state of affairs

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by MOFreemason

It sounds as though several teachers had become quite frustrated with his antics and decided to "teach him a lesson" after threatening to call the police. Once they realized they had to stick to their word, or look "weak," the police were called.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Not stupid at all. Obviously the parents or parent are not able to teach this little brat what is acceptable behavior so others are having to do it. Sense when is a real world lesson stupid. We need more of this. This might actually keep this spoiled little brat out of jail when he gets older.

I make sure my kids know there are real consequences to all actions.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 09:58 PM
link   
With schools these days, I'm just glad it wasn't a poison gas attack, # kids are vicious these days, not to mention he'll learn his lesson when that costs him pussy the rest of his school days.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 10:00 PM
link   
When I was a kid and lived with my grandparents, if I even had the *slightest* clue I might pass gas, I had to excuse myself and head to the bathroom. Passing gas was something you did in private, away from people. That might be a bit extreme, but you gotta have some kind of manners. That kid was farting like that to cause trouble. He knew what he was doing. I don't know that I would have called the police, but I know I would have removed him from the class until his problem went away.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I agree with you on most of the points you had, but just wanted to say, for the offense he was arrested for, that was senseless. To be arrested for breaking wind is absolutely disgusting. Of course the brat is going to claim purposefulness to it, he was out to do a job of disruption.

Here's what it comes down to. You have a snotty kid who wants to make trouble. You have snobby teachers who think that passing gas is a disruption. In this case, that may be, and was intentional.

However.. is it always? People can NOT help some bodily functions, and sometimes it just happens. Are we going to use this kind of thing as a precedent? Because it COULD be used as such.

That was basically my point in my own above post. I can't help what happens when my tum decides that it is going to act up, and frankly if it happens in front of people or not, disruption or not, i'm gonna let it go if it stops the pain i get. lol

Seriously.. this whole arrest is a joke, and it's saddening. If they wanted to stop his troublemaking, they should have done it for his other actions. But frankly, to be arrested for farting is beyond sad.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 10:15 PM
link   
This is why I'm thankful that in my country we can whack our kids with a very hard rattan cane when they misbehave. And no, we don't go to jail for it. And yes, parents are encouraged to do it.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by MOFreemason

It's like Katt Williams said, YOUR CHILD IS SUPPOSED TO LIKE CANDY

seriously though ARRESTING a TWELVE YEAR OLD BOY for being

*gasp*

a twelve year old boy???

What kind of bs is that, if I got arrested every time I thought it would be funny to set off stink bombs in class...hell I'd be serving life.

Absolutely ridiculous, give the kid a friggin break

edit- for clarity haha

[edit on 21-11-2008 by bandaidctrl]

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by bandaidctrl

Absolutely ridiculous, give the kid a friggin break

What would you recommend to a child who purposely disrupts a classroom setting and clearly has no respect of authority because he ignores what he is told and misbehaves?

I'm not saying I think the child should or shouldn't be arrested, but he certainly shouldn't be given a break!

He was handed over to his parents. Maybe that little arrest will shape him up. Maybe it wont. Who knows, but something needed to be done for a disrespectful child!

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 11:03 PM
link   
It wasn't just gas- he was turning off the computers in the class, too. He had done it repeatedly. I think they should have suspended him, and if this didn't work expel him. That is what they do to most kids that misbehave. I don't believe in letting one kid disrupt the education of the other kids. He should be removed from class. I don't like the idea of wasting law enforcements time either.

When I was in school the teachers were allowed to woop our asses with a paddle. Farting was enough to get a paddling if the person was doing it all the time on purpose. Come to think of it- farting out loud in class was very embarrassing and we would be teased mercilessly for doing it.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

The fact that teachers went so far out of their way to get police involved. That is what I'm talking about, I don't disagree with you on the fact that a disruptive child needs to be taught his/her lesson, but also consider his age, their thought process, so the kid turns of computers and annoys the teachers, it isn't RIGHT by any means, but 12 year olds have a habit of doing things they know will annoy the heck out of you JUST BECAUSE THEY CAN.

Detention, expulsion, suspension, those are considered "societal norms" cause and effect, you do this, and this happens, you do this, or something else again, something else will happen, almost always the consequences for repeated offenses become harsher.

What I'm getting at, is the teacher actually called the police...that involves dialing 911 and filing it under some sort of emergency. I can understand if the kid was throwing chairs, using foul language, physically abusing others, but he was doing what all kids do.

Last but not least, this boy might actually have some sort of disability, I haven't read anywhere mentioning this, but a lot of disruptive behavior can be attributed to ADHD, and while many discredit ADD and ADHD and simple scapegoats, I have seen the difference between a so called "normal-child" and one who has been diagnosed but is not being treated for ADHD, as well as one who is just outright cruel. Mind you, I'm not using this as an excuse for his actions, merely another perspective to look from

Either way, I'm not condoning his actions, I'm just saying he's 12, this isn't another Lionel Tate killing his playmate, this is a kid portraying the classical stereotype of the "class clown" disruptive, unconventional, NON-VIOLENT behavior.

-JR
edit-text and junk

[edit on 21-11-2008 by bandaidctrl]

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Some times when you push to far you get pushed back. that is a real world lesson not a politicially correct there are no winners or lossers lesson.

Its a cold world the kid needs to be taught that his bad actions will get a bad response. if you keep escalating the bad actions the bad response will as well.

12 or 120 doesn't matter lessons need to be taught or we will end up paying for this kid to be locked up, or worse then that he kills somebody.

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Better anarchy through baked beans?

Seriously, the police have no business in this. Detention, suspension, expulsion are all options for these kinds of behavioral problems. The police are not.

What's next? Radar detectors and speeding tickets for running in the halls?

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 01:04 AM
link   
What nobody seems to be asking, and it's a very burning question that is on my mind is...

How on earth is that kid farting on command and at will like that? That's what I really want to know. Most people, if they force the issue too far, they end up having a 2-ton poo in their boxers. Sounds like that kid has some unrecognized talent.

On the other hand, I never admit to passing gas. That's why I got a dog. Blame will always go on him.

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

I would recomend a behavior plan for the student. He probably should have had one all along. Sounds like the school was negligent in intervening for this child.

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 11:07 PM
link   
the problem is that today teachers are not allowed to ENFORCE discipline - back when i was at school [ over 30 years ago , in the UK ] we recieved " the ruler " - 1 blow across the palm for minor infractions - and for serious misdemenours it was off to the deputy headmasters study for 1 , 2 , 5 or 10 lashes from the cane .
we were not ` little angels ` - and did some truelly stupid pranks - pouring zylene [ an organic solvent which is higyly inflasmable down the sink at one end of a bench - and stuffing a lit taper down the other end then ` woosh ` got me and my best mate and unprecedented 20 lashes each - ouch

but IIRC the only time the police were called to the school was when one poor lad decided that his grand fathers service revolver wasa the " solution " to the bullying he endured - as it happens he had not cartriges

for all ` internal discipline ` matters staff were allowed to handle it - and if you didnt take your punishment ` like a man ` the sports master [ an ex royal marine ] could and on occasion did drag miscreats to the heads study

nowadays - such practice would never be allowed - but back then it was perfectly normal - and we had a disciplined school - we all survived the experience - i realise that some establishments were guilty of abuses - but at all my schools - to the best of my knowledge - all punishment was warrented , and proportionate

to address this case - it the child in question had recieved one stroke of the cane the first time he sitched off all the computers - would he have done it again in the same lesson ?

i do have to agree - writting up farting as a " gas attack " is assanine

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 07:03 AM
link   
What the?
Did they really need to get the police involved in this? A kid passing gas is natural! What is really the worst that could of happened from this? The other kids would of had a laugh and then been back into their school work. I can understand the teachers getting upset with the boy turning off computers and disrupting class, but come on!
Perhaps the teachers were so afraid of getting sued if they touched the child, they decided to call in the boys in blue to handle a naughty kid! What a sad world! What ever happened to detention?
Only in America!

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 07:22 AM
link   
I am not sure how it is across the rest of the U.S., but as for Florida, all schools have 1-2 school resource officers stationed there at all times. In the case of elementary -juniior high/middle school these officers usually serve as educators about drugs and crime etc. and as external security during incoming and outgoing classes. So as for a leech of law enforcement from thier rounds or from busting "REAL" criminals that point is Non-applicable. And to tell you ythe truth the amount of idiots here that start a police chase and ditch a vehicle to only enter school grounds to hide is becoming the norm. That being said , the child being a disruption for farting could have been handled administartor-wise. Intentional disruption by repeatedly turning off computers even after being told to correct his behavior is more in line with removal from the class. Teachers can't even use harsh language anymore because the PC Monster has bound thier hands and take the stance , the child is ALWYAS right. Thats why we have soooo many little turd-balls running around schools and public just doing what they please becasue of this "do what you want when you want attitude" alot of parents are instilling in thier kids. As long as it doesn't affect them or irritate them at home they turn a blind-eye to what happens to thier kids. I have an 12 year old girl, I may not have been the perfect parent, but I guarantee you she knows what acceptable behavior in public settings is.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by angryamerican
Not stupid at all. Obviously the parents or parent are not able to teach this little brat what is acceptable behavior so others are having to do it. Sense when is a real world lesson stupid. We need more of this. This might actually keep this spoiled little brat out of jail when he gets older.

I make sure my kids know there are real consequences to all actions.

R U BLIND?

So much non sense. Wake up already.

[edit on 8-12-2008 by Scaye]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join