It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Making a B.O.B.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Right now im in the process of making my first BOB, the bag is a Army surplus back_pack. 3 deep snap button closure pockets on front, large deep interior storage(can stick my whole arm in to the bottom), with interior pocket helf the depth of main pocket with cloth closure. the seals via rip cord and sicnhes, ties off and wear on back. (if i can find a good pic ill post)

So far i have packed,
1 full roll of duct tape
sure girp camo work gloves
4 flashlights
2 flannel shirts longsleave
3 t-shirts
2 pair woodland camo fatigues
5 pairs of socks
5 pairs of underwear
3 wool stocking caps
2 lock blade knives
2 lighters
5 books of matches
1 dual layer cotton/polyester jacket with hood
9-10 packets of powder drink mix
1 bottle of asprin
1 bottle of fishing hooks/bobber
1 1000 yrd line of mono filament fishing line
1 ruger .22 pistol
6 15 rd clips
1000 rds of .22LR ammo.

Please help me out with any items i need to add or subtract and let me know your thoughts, thanks.

[edit on 21-11-2008 by Psyclon9]

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Water purifier or water purification pills.
Heavily stripped MRE parts.
Baby wipes.
Antisceptic and bandages.
Compass and Map.
A large cup.
Soap.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 08:15 PM
link   
P-cord. You always can use 550 cord. Really comes in handy for everyday sort of problems, too.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I would add the following:

Heavy duty slingshot with extra parts (less noise)

magnifying glass or flint stone

Cloves (there good as an antiseptic and numbing agent ie for toothaches and such)

vitamin c and or a good multi-vitamin

a thin but reasonably strong nylon rope

and if you've got the room a folding saw with extra blades

[edit on 21-11-2008 by The Utopian Penguin]

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by SuperSecretSquirrel
Water purifier or water purification pills.
Heavily stripped MRE parts.
Baby wipes.
Antisceptic and bandages.
Compass and Map.
A large cup.
Soap.

Im getting both tablets and a purification filter but im trying to find the best of each i can. MRES are good but i dont know how to look for them, as to say how do i know how long they will last un seald, do i look for air tight seald or what. baby wipes, antispeptic and bandages are in my first aide kit(still putting it together) have a compass but am looking for a good map of the area im bugging out to. have soap just havent added yet and have cups laying around the house. many thanks

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by The Utopian Penguin

im looking at a crossbow rather than a sling shot, i have a magnesium fire starter.
any specific cloves you would recomend IE: garlic or what
have tons of vitamin c, the drink power i have has tons of vitamins
im pricing good rope/cord
and for a saw im getting a commando pocket saw and a good folding trench shovel with a sarated edge.
thanks

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Psyclon9

Slingshots are small quiet and ammo = rocks

the cloves I mentioned are in the link

en.wikipedia.org...

you might want a small sewing kit as well ...they come in handy

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   
You can buy a box of MREs off of Ebay. If memory serves, there are 20 meals in there but you will want to strip them all to the bare essentials, like the actual meal. By doing this you will save a ton of weight and bulk. I would make sure that a headlamp is one of your flashlights. If you don't have one, they are great. Try to get one with the optional red bulb so you aren't seen as easily. Wind-up AM Radio. You can never have enough 550 cord. Bring a green or camo water-proof tarp.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 08:57 PM
link   
One thing I would include for fire starting is Dryer Lint, that stuff takes a spark really well, burns hot and instantly (don't hold it to light it). Incredible fire starter, just don't breathe the smoke if you use synthetic clothes or fabric softeners.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   

thanks for the link, i can probly find some at a local erbal shop. A good slingshot may be a bit difficult, never seen one in any of the catalogs i get or the shops i go to but nonetheless i will look into them.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by SuperSecretSquirrel

I have a clip on LED light that has normal, green, blue and red filters. Im pricing actual headlamps. the lights i have are 3 normal flashlights and a 3_D cell mag lite. I will most definetly look for the MRE'S on ebay, saw a few today in a army navy store, will have to go back.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by twitchy

thanks, i was planing to use cotton balls dipped in vasoline, now will probly use both

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Have a good supply of Vitamin E as well. It's more potent in fighting infections.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Most of the wind up radios have flashlight built in as well...
if you get one, some will even charge a cell phone and have solar cells.

a windup flashlight maybe ?

4 seems a little extreme.

[edit on 21-11-2008 by The Utopian Penguin]

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 11:01 PM
link   

2 of the lighs are just reguar flashlights, 1 of them is smaller and runs on AA's, the other is a LED light. I have seen many different models of hand crank and solar radios but i dont know what would be the most efficient for use VS cost VS weight.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I would suggest a good hatchet/hammer. Doesn't need to be too big, and it'll make cutting firewood a lot easier. The hammer end can be used to drive anchor stakes fopr a makeshift lean-to or teepee for shelter.

I'll still second the idea of a good folding handsaw.

Consider a pair of tungsten shears, like the ones sold for gardening. The set I have is small and light, and will chop through a 1" diameter branch like a hot knife through butter.

If you have any McGyver-style skills, consider a Swiss army knife, one that has a flathead and phillips screwdriver built in. It's amazing what you can do with a screwdriver (and a pair of pliers, which they also usually have) to scavenge garbage for useful parts of old machinery/appliances.

I have a similar arrangement to the knife, but it is a hatchet with a hammer end, a catch that turns it into pliers when unlocked, and all the basic tools. It cost $15 and weighs maybe 2 pounds.

Oh, yes, a good bastard file. You might need to sharpen a blade.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 12:17 AM
link   
A great firestarter is a small bottle of alcohol hand sanitizer.
This is not a one line post anymore.

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Psyclon9

2 of the lighs are just regular flashlights, 1 of them is smaller and runs on AA's, the other is a LED light. I have seen many different models of hand crank and solar radios but i dont know what would be the most efficient for use VS cost VS weight.

I don't care to promote any particular company that makes "wind up radios and flashlights" but a google search with the word wind up radio or flashlights will get you what you need.
they have them at circuit city and places like that as well

batteries are only useful if they can be rechargable after they die there useless

oh and you can get cloves at the grocery store in the spice section
the ground up clove is the best and more useful.
...and sparingly used makes meat yummy and helps with the change in diet

you also need salt

many of the little woodland creatures carry ticks and flea's therefore can make you sick. there is alot of info out there and in this forum.

don't forget to study "all the ways to make potable water" that's paramount

In times of stress our bodies use up water soluble vitamins at accelerated levels. that's why I suggested the vitamins. they can keep you in top form during the transition.

Going to the dentist and making sure the choppers are in good health is a good idea...nothing worse than fighting a toothache in the bush.

and finally considering the caliber of your weapon, I would get bear spray if there's a chance of larger predators being around.

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 01:57 AM
link   

thanks for the tips friend. the .22 is just my multitask weapon, i will be carrying a 12 guage pump and a .308 rifle for big games/self defense. Im looking at 4 wind up radio/FL combos at the moment and seeing what folks are saying. I will keep an eye out for the cloves next time i go to the store as well as vitamins. but the damn batteries are going to cost an arm and a leg to have enough.

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Psyclon9

Garbage bags. If it gets real cold climb on in and stay warm. Sounds dumb but it works, they can be used for a number of other things also. I'd consider a pistol in a substantial caliber as well. Possibly a revolver. Maps of the area you plan to stay in. Radio. Man there is so much stuff! Medical stuff for every possible issue.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join