It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to build a bunker and various things to consider

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Great sites on building your own bunker

Site #1

This guy goes all out and documents for you everything he's done.

How to Build a Super Top Secret Bunker under Your House.
The Prelude
Step 1
Step 2
Step 3
The PDF
The Video
Removing Soils

Site #2

This guy decided to dig a hole and make it into a shelter thingy

Details with photos here

Site #3

eHow.com ~ How to Build a Bunker

~~~~~*~~~~~

Random story on guy living in bunker for 6 years

News story here

Tom Cruise's $10M Survival Bunker

News story here

~~~~~*~~~~~

Somethings to consider:

• How do you find the location?
  • Do you contract it's construction or build it yourself?
  • What sort of supplies would be needed for such a thing?
  • Would it only have room for you or could someone else come along?
  • What would prevent others from taking it over?

~~~~~*~~~~~

Further Resources

Nuclear Bomb and Natural Disaster Shelters!

UNDERGROUND SHELTER RESOURCES

[edit on 21-11-2008 by warrenb]

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Something to consider in this great thread, if you are using your bunker to hide or hide weapons, don't hire a contractor or get a permit, the agriculteral office will have a copy of it and where it is as well as dimensions. It's won't be a secret.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Jkd Up

thats one of the things in the list above 'Somethings to consider"

Do you contract it's construction or build it yourself?

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

Excellent post. I'm going to check it out. Thanks for sharing.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jkd Up
Something to consider in this great thread, if you are using your bunker to hide or hide weapons, don't hire a contractor or get a permit, the agriculteral office will have a copy of it and where it is as well as dimensions. It's won't be a secret.

Haven't checked out the sites yet but the ideal solution would be to have a friend in the construction industry if you weren't already yourself.

A 'proper' bunker (i.e. one that would protect you from radiation) relies on using mass to shield you, and dense mass at that, such as concrete.

Unless you wanted to live on your hands and knees for weeks on end then this would involve digging down to about 10ft, plus those concrete walls would need foundations.

Not a small undertaking, and not something I would like to do on my own with hand tools.

Anyway, thanks for the links, I'm off to learn.

CS

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 01:32 AM
link   
wow!! this is an awesome forum! im here for suggestions but i will surely be a regular here......im planning to build a shelter on my own...i don't have much construction experience but im very eager to get this project started and doing it right....i do have some worries....if u look at my pic below...
1 starting the main entrance in the house and going under the foundation .....will the house collapse on me? how deep do i have to dig down?
2 making it waterproof without exposing it.....obviously i don't want to ANYONE TO KNOW im building this around my area so no permit....no friends....no one! how can i make something like this safe...secure....and dry?
any replies will be awesome!!!! maybe im being crazy and it cannot be done and have to find out plan B ......

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by culat3r

Well,
There are many things to consider when building a sub grade structure. First of all, when you dig 30 feet or so below grade, your gonna have have some sort of sheeting to support the walls so they dont cave in. that is unless you are digging in solid rock. Also, a big problem would be to start digging and then realize you have a big problem; something that would make things much more difficult would be if you ran into water. Obviously you will have to remove it because you cant work, let alone pour a foundation, in water. If this happens, google "dewatering techniques". The idea there is to lower the subsurface water so you can excavate.

Next,
You are gonna want to pour a foundation if you are gonna be building deep under ground. I would say 30 feet is REALLY deep. A good foundation will be very useful. It will also give you peace of mind knowing your bunker actually will hold up under the weight of the earth above not to mention the reason most people build bunkers- to protect themselves from an attack.

I would say thats the most important thing about building a bunker, Although there are many more steps ahead. this is just a start.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Unless you have access to a backhoe, digging an underground bunker of any mean size will be a time consuming, back-breaking endeavor. I cringe at the thought of digging a simple post hole, much less an underground shelter!

Some things to consider:

• Underground utility lines, pipes, etc.
  • Does your proposed site have good drainage?
  • Ventilation for your bunker
  • Sanitation needs
  • Structural integrity

[edit on 12-2-2009 by LLoyd45]

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I hope this goes here and doesn't sound too stupid but does anyone know anything or have links about building a shelter or reinforced room in an already existing basement? I'm thinking extra layers of ???? would give more more protection than just the basement, especially since its only half underground.
Thanks

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
The best source that I have found is "The Fifty Dollar And Up Underground House Book" by Mike Oehler. It has proven methods of construction and is in a simple do it yourself format. Another suggestion is to dig out a hillside and bury a used shipping container. It can be well place, and equipped with all the necessities that might be needed for a very little cost. Impact on the environment is minimal, and setting and covering unit can be done most expeditiously. Not to mention it is still easily hidden from most prying eyes with little work.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
How would you defend your bunker if you are found by others intent on taking over your complex?

Thinking as an attacker, my first line of assault on an attractive well-stocked asset of a bunker would be to gas the occupants with the CO2 from several fire extinguishers via any available outlet or chink, or feed a hose from a vehicle exhaust for CO (Carbon Monoxide) poisoning

Do your plans account for that kind of threat?

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Only the most modern bunkers ($$$$) could resist that attack. You'd need multiple ventilation sources, that are hidden and possibly internal breathing gear. The car fumes might work but you'd need a bloody long hose if it's underground.
One of the best bunkers I've seen was one in the states that had a 'sally-port' escape route. A wiley defender could scoot up, cause havoc to an attacker, then buzz back inside again

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   

top topics

join