It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A ban on hetero marriages!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Heard this on the radio today, and it was later announced to have been an April Fool's joke, but it got me thinking...

The 'news' event took plave in some Ohio town, where the mayor, in protest to the banning of gay marriages, declared a ban on all marriages.

Now, what got me thinking is, why not? In America, home of the free... is it not written in our Declaration of Independance, that all men are created equal? Does not our Constitution state that all people of both sexes are to be treated as equals? Then how does creating a ban on homosexual marriages be Constitutional?

It goes against everything our way of life stands for!
We are subject to homosexual situations everyday on television, from Queer Eye to god knows how many sitcoms. We all have seen animals in 'homosexual' acts.

So have our children. Creating a ban does nothing but create further seperation.

I say, if a ban on gays continues to be allowed, then, in all equality, so should hetero marriages.

*By the way, in case you or a friend are gay, and want to be married... let me know. I'll be the Kavorkian of ceremonies... I'm an ordained Reverand. Bush be damned.*

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 06:32 PM
link   
funny, I suppose our teacher that joked about this leading to the next civil war also heard about the same "news"

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 06:49 PM
link   
i have no problems with marriage being banned completely (joke or not)

marriage is just a formality.....it's the commitment between two people that matters...not a piece of paper with a stamp on it.

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Even as the conservative that I am, I have to say that it's a bit silly to try and come up with a law banning gay marriages now, after it took us two hundred years to figure out that blacks and women are okay people... you'd think we'd learn from our mistakes eventually.

That said, it's also unconstitutional to require churches to offer or perform gay marriages... so that's where it gets sticky, I guess.

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 07:19 PM
link   
wait...I just had an idea

I'm pretty sure marriage is considered a "sacrament" in some religions so wouldn't banning it all together be in violation of freedom of religion?

but then again our government sucks and probably wouldn't catch this

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 08:17 PM
link   
With everything posted so far. I know the whole gay marriage thing has been posted... been there/done that, but still...

Marriage is but a piece of paper. It doesn't tell anyone anything that the two people already feel for each other. I can't even understand why some people get so upset/irrate when they found out you had a court wedding.

This ban goes against so many things, it is unbelieveable... freedom of expression, association, religion... we might as well reinstate the 'back of the bus' law, only this time for gays.

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I don't even think the ban on gay marriages is needed.

Just make all unions made by the state a civil union and make sure that the rights are 100% equal.

That way everyone wins. Religion does not have to have it's institution redefined, and state unions (hetro and homosexual) recieve the same rights.

That would be constitutional and everyone would win.

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 11:42 PM
link   
They did the same in Benton county, Oregon last week.

www.cnn.com...

Stupid PC tossers.

join