It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama to delay repeal of don't ask don't tell

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Obama to delay repeal of

www.washingtontimes.com

President-elect Barack Obama will not move for months, and perhaps not until 2010, to ask Congress to end the military's decades-old ban on open homosexuals in the ranks, two people who have advised the Obama transition team on this issue say.

"What's the reality for the new administration?" he said. "Financial crisis. Economic upheaval. Health care reform. Environmental challenges. Where does 'don't ask, don't tell' fall in all this? I would say it is not in the top five priorities of national issues."

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 21-11-2008 by RRconservative]

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 10:07 AM
link   
I wonder what other campaign promises Obama is going to put off and delay? Change? pffft

Campaigning is easy just be all things to all people. But leading is an entirely different story. Obama was a great campaigner but will not be a good leader.

There is nothing wrong with don't ask...don't tell. Obama will likely delay this as long as he can, and when he can't make progress in repealing it...he will just blame Republicans...look for this to be the theme of his Presidency.

www.washingtontimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   
He's got the right idea. There is no need for homosexuals to be "open" in the military. He should not only delay it, but completely ignore it.

Seriously, nobody wants to know that you're gay., just like nobody wants to know that you've accepted Jesus and listen to you go on and on about how we're all going to hell.

The Military is not exactly a place to be an individual, anyway.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   

President-elect Barack Obama will not move for months, and perhaps not until 2010, to ask Congress to end the military's decades-old ban on open homosexuals in the ranks,

It's a delay of just two years. Gee, you want him to prioritize this over the economy?

You republicans are so funny.

Expecting a new Obama-bashing thread in...

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by logician magician

Seriously, nobody wants to know that you're gay., just like nobody wants to know that you've accepted Jesus and listen to you go on and on about how we're all going to hell.

Aint it the truth. It doesnt stop people though. I dont know whats worse, bums asking me for change, salesmen bothering me, churchys trying to sell me their god, homosexuals that cant stop announcing it or using it to justify certain things...

The world is an incredibly annoying place and it doesnt have to be.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I thought Obama could multi-task.

This one doesn't even have to be on a priority list. All he has to do is tell his Secretary of Defense to accept anyone eligible-gay or not if he really believes the military don't ask don't tell policy is so bad.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   
who the hell needs too know if your gay in the army. Ignore it please, thats completely retarded.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   
To be honest I think the suggestion of this issue came to him as a way to throw a wrench into his works! This issue was a problem for Bill Clinton and got him bogged down when he first came into office, coupled with the cabinet transition this was quicksand, I say he keeps focus on issue 1., The economy, and issue 2. The Economy.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 08:38 AM
link   
He can. Notice the rigorous vetting process and the search for the presidential pet at the same time.

Even if he does away with the DADT policy there's no telling if it will reduce gay discrimination in the military. For all we know it will discourage some people to sign up.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Seems like he may be trying to avoid one of Clinton's early mistakes. The brew-ha-ha that erupted when Clinton tried to get rid of the ban, and we ended up with DADT, is one of the things that revitalized the right and got their voters out for the '94 mid-term election. Anyway it's a smart political move to not spend political capital on an issue of relatively minor importance when there is a huge problem in the economy.

Disclosure: I'm a Vet, against gay-marriage and not a supporter of the homo-sexual agenda in regards to indoctrination of children, so much so that we are probably going to send our child to a private accredited Christian Kindergarten/Elemetary school (though that is by no means the main reason we wish to not use public schools). However, I don't really have a problem with gays in the millitary. I understand it could cause some friction in the ranks, but it's not something that discipline and good leadership couldn't handle.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 09:04 AM
link   
being an "open gay" in the military is a very bad idea. I would like to see what happens to a gay person that makes gestures to someone in the community shower they have in basic training and in the desert. It would not be pretty...most of the gays would spend most of their time in the hospital. Obama should delay this indefinitely...

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by eldard

President-elect Barack Obama will not move for months, and perhaps not until 2010, to ask Congress to end the military's decades-old ban on open homosexuals in the ranks,

It's a delay of just two years. Gee, you want him to prioritize this over the economy?

You republicans are so funny.

Expecting a new Obama-bashing thread in...

Whats the matter?

Can't you liberals walk and chew gum at the same time?

Obviously you can't.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I am going to agree with most of you and say this really isnt a priority in my mind. There is MUCH more important issues at hand right now then someone being able to get rainbow camos and shout they are gay from the rooftops in the military.

Its not like we aren't allowing gays in the military - just asking them politely to keep their views to themselves. This goes the same for religion, and other beliefs that may not be mainstream ideals.

I for one think its great to see Obama not dealing with bullcrap like this, and actually confronting the issues that matter and affect us. If he gets time to tackle this issue, maybe he should deal with it, but no way should he make it priority over the current crisis our country is facing.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Funny how this is a liberal vs. conservative issue. I mean really of all the problems in the world... This is the equivalent to flea poop, compared to all the other BS.

I am more concerned with, the one-world currency they are trying to bring about to tax us even more more and lower our wages...

Getting us out of unnecessary wars to hide the theft and stealing by the Federal Reserve...

None of the REAL problems are going to be addressed by Obama nor would they have been by McCain. So why the hell would you bicker about who is gay in the military? Seriously....

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiquidMirage
Whats the matter?

Obviously you can't.

You talking about McCain suspending his campaign to try to "help" the economy?

Obviously you are.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiquidMirage

Whats the matter?

Obviously you can't.

lol, yeah, Republicans are ones to talk, their overlord can't even manage to eat a pretzel without choking.

... or ride a bike...

... or talk...

Heck, I can't think of one thing Bush does well, let alone 2... other than screw up.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 10:55 PM
link   
If Obama leaves office with "don't ask, don't tell" still intact, I will not vote for him again. There is no amount of piece and prosperity that I can imagine would change my mind. He knows it is wrong and to leave it for another administration to deal with would be plain cowardice. That’s not the sort of man I plan on giving my vote to, even if the opposition is worse. Next time around I’ll vote for a third party candidate likely if he does not live up to the “change” he promised when it comes to the military.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by fill0000
who the hell needs too know if your gay in the army. Ignore it please, thats completely retarded.

I agree,if they do that, I see segregated bunkers coming..............

new topics

top topics

join