It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Types you mainly DONT count on when a conspiracy is against you or...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
...when you need help with a serious matter:

Let me know just between the following only...

The ppl of God
The atheists
The politians
The female gender
The male gender
The gays
The straights
The youngsters generation
The elders generation
The lawyers
The employers
The neighbors
The attractive looking ppl
The ugly looking ppl

Now tell what is it exactly to why you dont feel you can count on the ones you picked.

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   
all of the above, and none of the above.

I have relied on myself for serious matters thus far, and I don't sense a big change in that pattern anytime soon - so I'll keep relying on myself.

Then again, if I was isolated from "the female gender" and "the male gender," wouldn't that put me in the middle of nowhere, with no resources whatsoever?

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Mabus

Are you listing these people as if they are somehow not connected? I know gays who consider themselves “people of God”, for example. The groups you list are too simplistic, since many can fit together in multiple categories.

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I wouldn't want to count on:

- Anyone I don't know at least on an acquaintance level
-Anyone dressed in designer clothing
-Anyone who has nothing to contribute
-Anyone who smokes

Preferred:

Middle-class atheist male 18-40 that I've met beforehand.

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yarcofin
Middle-class atheist male 18-40 that I've met beforehand.

Seconded.

Realistic and not easily swayed.

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 11:44 PM
link   
You missed one. Mimes.
Never trust a mime.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints
You missed one. Mimes.
Never trust a mime.

Thank you. I was about to point out the oversight myself. Take heed people.

I've been thinking about the issue of relying on people quite a bit lately. I'm sure we're all very familiar with the disappointment of really needing a helping hand and you find no limbs anywhere near you much less a helping hand. Time and time again, in the defining situations of my life, as they come to resolution, I often see a simple means of achieving my desired outcome that requires a small amount of assistance. At those moments is when I look around and discover that I'm the only person in the warehouse. I then head out to find some help. I call friends, people I've helped in the past, family and 9 times out of 10 I'm left holding my genitals. I think the message here is to find and execute solutions that are not dependent on others. DIY. Then, if the world is round, you'll likely find people reaching out to give you a helping hand. Just never expect or count on it. There's always a way.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 03:41 AM
link   
It's a question of personal ethics really. Moral correctness might go straight out the window in a SHTF situation (might hahahahahahah).

I ask myself who I WOULD count on. Me, my Man and well that's about it. Counting on others would have to be weighed carefully based on need.

Id' like to think I'd not turn away from another in times of need, but realizing that others may have no problems with acting out the dog eat dog mentality, is a sobering thought.

If SHTF in a big way, the first thing to go to hell is the "community". Eventually it will rebuild but in the early stages it's really going to be messy. The thought of not being able to trust or rely on others is upsetting but it's likely a reality. You just never know what a person can or will do in an emergency situation.

I liked Yarc's mistrust of smokers during emergencies LMAO - most of us smokers would gladly sell Yarc's kidney for a pack of butts

Seriously though, it is a valid concern. Those with "habits to support" need more than the average person. Someone withdrawing from an addiction during a crisis is a HUGE liability and a danger.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 03:52 AM
link   
I try to count on individuals. Just because someone is good looking, religious or gay does not mean they won't help their fellow man in a catastrophe. These things don't determine what a person will do. I try to rely on myself and my loved ones, then give people the benefit of the doubt until they mess up.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by justgeneric

Unfortunately, you are generally correct about community failing in hits hitting the fan type situations. I do believe there's an alternative. And a necessary one in (IMO) coming "fan flavored" days. Basically, those who can lead, must lead. Not wealthy or powerful (in the usual sense) or famous people, but those people that know WTF is going on, people of wisdom. Old souls. People that other people listen to. The population need just to be reminded they have a choice. That we can cooperate rather than try to dominate. But if no one stands up and speaks, entropy will guide us to hell.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 08:08 AM
link   
People named Mabus...

..generally untrustworthy.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by HankMcCoy
People named Mabus...

..generally untrustworthy.

Lol, or hitler or napolean, hmmm.

Strange thread. We all have certain types of people we talk too, and generaly get on better with. I would keep my personal views on which of the above groups to myself, as people may take offence.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I would guess that in most cases people would tend to prefer to trust members of groups that they're also members of. Would you trust an SS officer? Maybe not. Would you expect an SS officer to trust an SS officer? Probably.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Also you forgot one..........

Stupid people.....

top topics

join