It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive object crashes over Edmonton, Canada

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by MoonMine

Cool MoonMine! Maybe Im not crazy after all then! If they saw something at the New Orleans Airport then perhaps that is what I saw as well.

This is getting interesting!

link   
meteorite hits yesterday as well but in Delta County, made of stone and iron

l ink

[edit on 20-11-2008 by warrenb]

link   
From one news source:

“I was waiting for it to explode,” he said. “It looked similar to when we watch (news reports) in Afghanistan. When I didn’t see that, I said, `well, that’s something from outer space.’ I’m sure it landed way out in Winnipeg or something.”
www.edmontonsun.com...

Very intriguing.

Edit: Sorry, did not see that warrenb posted this way back on page 4 I think?

[edit on 20-11-2008 by rapinbatsisaltherage]

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Found a cool site that judges impacts and what would happen

Your Inputs:
Distance from Impact: 5.00 km = 3.10 miles
Projectile Diameter: 15.00 m = 49.20 ft = 0.01 miles
Projectile Density: 3000 kg/m3
Impact Velocity: 51.00 km/s = 31.67 miles/s
Impact Angle: 45 degrees
Target Density: 2500 kg/m3
Target Type: Sedimentary Rock

Energy:
Energy before atmospheric entry: 6.89 x 1015 Joules = 1.65 MegaTons TNT
The average interval between impacts of this size somewhere on Earth is 161.5 years

Atmospheric Entry:
The projectile begins to breakup at an altitude of 71600 meters = 235000 ft
The projectile bursts into a cloud of fragments at an altitude of 26600 meters = 87400 ft
The residual velocity of the projectile fragments after the burst is 36.9 km/s = 22.9 miles/s
The energy of the airburst is 3.29 x 1015 Joules = 0.79 x 100 MegaTons.
No crater is formed, although large fragments may strike the surface.

Major Global Changes:
The Earth is not strongly disturbed by the impact and loses negligible mass.
The impact does not make a noticeable change

www.lpl.arizona.edu...

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by malignant_tumor
I just saw a huge green one in San Diego, CA

More than likely just leftover Leonids.

As I stated in the first post after the OP.

San Diego County has had a lot of these green and bluish meteorites during the Leonids meteor shower.

I had just seen one about the same time of the OP.

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Are we talking ESD here? Ionised atmosphere? Interesting

Could be...you can listen to meteors entering our atmosphere LIVE on the radio recivers
at NASA Huntsville meteor radar.

click here to hear live meteor radar

The fine folks at the Marshall space flight center in Huntsville, AL have put a reciver
on the web.
Read all about the radios used from Marshall Space Flight Center
source

As you listen, you will hear strange pings and eerie tones, these are the meteors ionizing
and reflecting signals.

Meteors from different showers, will sound differently, some very fast...some with a long ringing tone.

Give them a listen...It's free!

This seems to have been a Bolide.

Quite right, no sound at all for these strange celestial invaders.

Peace

[edit on 20-11-2008 by Zeptepi]

[edit on 20-11-2008 by Zeptepi]

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I witnessed a meteor in Calgary in 1983 which I swore was going to crash into the downtown office towers but it was reported found the next day 5 hours north near Slave Lake the size of a fist. Tonights meteor I was driving just east of Edmonton when the sky lit up with a blueish orange
fireball in a much more vertical descent than my first sighting. So much so that I pulled over expecting a huge shockwave. What a RUSH!!!! These
sightings make you take stock "What IF"

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by whiteraven
reply to post by rickyrrr

Zinc burns green, boron burns green,copper if it burns green means it is at oxidization leval or very hot.

Thanks for your clarification. I'd be interested to hear what you think of the wikipedia link I posted. You can reply on a U2U

-rrr

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Zeptepi

I'm sure it'll turn out to be connected to the Leonids, but it's still exciting. I bet my sister is freaking.

[edit on 20-11-2008 by Nox Vulpes]

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 09:42 PM
link   
i live in lloydminster alberta 2 ours from edmonton and our hole city lit up like it was day time it was crazy things were rumbling and crackling and it had a huge tail after it went by it was awesome yet creepy haha

link   
Guys Guys.....False Alarm, It wasn't a UFO or a Meteorite. It was the Tool bag that was lost in space a few days ago...

In all seriousness, this is a very interesting thing for it not to be on the news. Maybe we will hear about it tomorrow. I'm curious to see if any home movies pop up of this thing.

link   
I was heading to pick my husband up from work and was looking up at a plane when something under it caught my eye. At first I thought it was a shooting star... until it got bigger and bigger, and brighter as it fell. To be honest, it scared the crap out of me! I watched and waited for it to burn up and disappear like meteors do, but that didn't happen. It looked like it was going to hit around the area where my husband was waiting for me. My heart was pounding! All of a sudden it turned bright orange with a long trail behind it (looked about the size of 2 softballs from where I was) and looked as though it was just above the top of the buildings... then there was a bright flash and it was gone. It lit up the whole sky. That's definitely the biggest shooting star I've ever seen (and the scariest!!!). I live just South of Edmonton, but was near the Calgary Trail area for anyone who knows Edmonton.

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Guys, calm down

This kind of thing happens all the time. For a change, it happened over a populated area at a time when allot of people were out and about.

There is no evidence to suggest more than one meteor in this particular event (though seeing other meteors near the same time might indicate some connection to this event).

From the footage of the flashes, this seems to have been quite a slow meteor and quite long lasting - I timed it at 18 seconds (give or take).

This sounds more like a Taurid fireball than a Leonid which are much faster meteors. This year is a swarm year (see above link), so we were expecting a few bright Taurid fireballs!

Taurids can last many seconds, and they often flare up like the one in this footage captured by NASA:
leonid.arc.nasa.gov...
source

However, we do not know enough at this stage to confirm it's origins, and it's just as likely that this was a random or "sporadic" meteor, not related to any known meteor showers.

People giving conflicting reports about where they saw it "land" is common place in cases like this. This page explains why, and why it's highly unlikely that anyone saw anything land. Basically, only very big meteors retain enough speed to remain luminous all the way down to the ground, and these are very rare, unlike today's event.

Usually what happens in an event like this one, is that the meteor explodes many miles above the ground (at least 20+), or is slowed down so much so that it falls at free fall speed without being luminous. In this case, if anything survived, it'll probably be scattered over a wide area.

Please check my sticky, which should cover most meteor related questions: www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 20-11-2008 by C.H.U.D.]

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Anyone check out google earth? There is some nice patchwork near Interstate 43...
i127.photobucket.com...

[edit on 20-11-2008 by xynephadyn]

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 09:45 PM
link   
If anyone wants to download this news video heres the link

imageshack.us...

Kinda funny how they(whoever) named it aliens.

[edit on 21-11-2008 by NGC2736]

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Komodo
can't find a single thing about it on youtube.

GAH !..

anyone else got an update??

Maybe you should check Ebay? They might be selling pieces of it by now?

"Item will ship just as soon as it cools off."

[/me just remembering the space shuttle]

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Goggle meteor crash in canada. They have a video of it hitting the ground. Its under the heading great video Aol. This vid looks like a crash that happened yesterday or tuesday morning.

[edit on 20-11-2008 by Tricky63]

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by C.H.U.D.

I knew the C.H.U.D. would sort it out. Very good information again, thanks. We can still hope, right? Just for the night?

It might contain that alien moss that got Stephen King in Creepshow!

[edit on 20-11-2008 by Nox Vulpes]

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Amazing!

Out of curiosity for those in the area in Canada where this hit, did you notice any military jets making passes around your area? About an hour before this happened we had quite a few fighter jets flying around. A lot of people were out to see what was going on with that, and now I'm hearing about this.

Just curious if anything similar was happening up there around this time.

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

THe Leonids pass by on Monday... 3 nights ago, I havent seen anything in the sky since monday night.

The PEAK was on the 17th. Meteors can be seen for any of the annual meteor shower events anywhere from 1 to 5 days on either side of the peak time.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join