It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive object crashes over Edmonton, Canada

page: 43
<< 40  41  42    44 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 11:34 PM
link   
So at first the offer was 10grand for a pound of this thing, now they want it so bad there offering 10 grand for any bit of it! but you know what the kicker is, if you find it and turn it in the owner of the land gets the cash because it landed on his property and therefore it is now his! so if he is a douche he wont give you a cent for all of your hard work!!!

happy hunting indeed

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by C.H.U.D.
When they say 'impact', they mean that it would have been free-falling the instant before it impacted ground... so yes, there may well have been an 'impact'.

Originally posted by Ghost147
and may be the size of a desk.

I hate to say it, but...

From page 21 of this thread:

Originally posted by C.H.U.D.
The object which caused this fireball was probably no bigger than 1-2m , perhaps 3m...

yes i forgot they said that, but that is still an impact none the less. Also, 2m=6 feet roughly and 3m=9 feet roughly. average desk is between 5-9 feet.

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 01:10 AM
link   
www.abum.com...

good video from a police dash cam, enjoy.

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Nevermind.
Irrelevant Now.

- Carrot

[edit on 11/27/2008 by CA_Orot]

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   
according to this report they have found it ?

Searchers have found the remains of a 10-ton meteor that produced a dramatic fireball in the skies over the Canadian Prairies this month, researchers said on Friday.

news.yahoo.com...;_ylt=AgalycfBXq5ceNiSfyfXIUSHgsgF

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I live 300 miles from Edmonton, never saw this, and today is the first I have heard about it. Yet I drive 2000 miles usually once a year to Nevada/Area 51, and see nothing unusual. Arghh.....

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by FosterVS
I live 300 miles from Edmonton, never saw this, and today is the first I have heard about it. Yet I drive 2000 miles usually once a year to Nevada/Area 51, and see nothing unusual. Arghh.....

Step #1: Look up.

No offense intended.

[edit on 11/28/2008 by Phage]

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

Originally posted by FosterVS

Step #1: Look up.
No offense intended.

[edit on 11/28/2008 by Phage]

None taken. You are 100% correct. The more time you spend outdoors, gazing at the wonder of the night sky, the odds of seeing something become much higher.

[edit on 28-11-2008 by FosterVS]

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 12:26 AM
link   
www.youtube.com...

here's the vid....founds some pieces on a frozen pond.

[edit on 29-11-2008 by wrathchild]

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Meteorite pieces found in Saskatchewan

www.cbc.ca...

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 09:25 AM
link   
don t you find the frozen ripples a bit odd?
it just happens that the field adjascent ro the lake has just been earthed by a tractor?
and why the heck do they want to collect every last piece of the meteor?
TO ADVANCE UNDERSTANDING OF SPACE?
quite fishy...

[edit on 1/12/2008 by GEORGETHEGREEK]

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by GEORGETHEGREEK

don t you find the frozen ripples a bit odd?
it just happens that the field adjascent ro the lake has just been earthed by a tractor?
and why the heck do they want to collect every last piece of the meteor?
TO ADVANCE UNDERSTANDING OF SPACE?
quite fishy...

[edit on 1/12/2008 by GEORGETHEGREEK]

The top of the lake could have been slushy.
Farmers harvest crops in the fall.
Meteors are made of the stuff from out there and we don't think we have seen everything out there so they are interesting.
YES, to advance understanding of space.
It's called scientific investigation.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I think stikkinikki said it very well, but I'd like to add...

In 1999 NASA launched a mission called Stardust, which cost $150 million with the main aim of retrieving samples from the comet Wild 2.

The Apollo 11 program cost would have been about $136 billion in todays terms, and possibly the most important aspect of that was to return samples from the Moon back home which are still being studied and providing valuable data to this very day...

Scientists go to great lengths to collect Meteorites from Antarctica. Meteorite samples, weight for weight can be more expensive than gold (by a long way in some cases), but the true value is in the things they tell us about our solar system, and even beyond.

Would you leave a gold nugget laying there on the ground?

Edit to add: I expect the farmer that plowed the field will be kicking himself when he discovers his mistake (if he isn't already). I know I would be!

[edit on 1-12-2008 by C.H.U.D.]

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   
More photographs of some of the meteorites recovered have just been posted here by Bruce McCurdy: skyriver.ca...

There's also a nice photo taken by Bruce of a typical meteorite crater

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by C.H.U.D.

mmmmmmmmmm

chuuunnnnnnky!

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Of course, im sent out the city to go work in another province and then this happens, BS !

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by MoonMine

i was there and it landed. not crashed

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by ZoooMer

I must say,I live in Norway,Oslo, and I saw like 4 weeks ago a huge white thing going down.
It scared me cause it looked like i was going to impact,it didnt,it just burned up I think.
But it litt up the vally I look down into from here,it was 'dripping' white gue after it and did look HUGE...
Ps: I have seen white streaks of light also,crossing the sky in daylight..

just what I saw ...peace...

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Yet another video has emerged: www.cbc.ca...

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I thought it would be appropriate to update this thread with the latest news about the meteorite, seeing as the subject was brought up over on the breaking news forum in this thread.

Thousands of space rocks to yield clues about asteroid from November 20 impact

Source: University Of Calgary

A University of Calgary-organized team recovered more than one hundred meteorites from the November 20 meteorite fall southwest of Lloydminster, Saskatchewan/Alberta, which is expected to set a new Canadian record for the largest recorded meteorite fall.

Using the abundance of meteorites on the pond where U of C grad student Ellen Milley found the first fragments on November 27, Hildebrand calculated that about 2,000 meteorites of more than 10 grams in size occur per square kilometer in the northern part of the strewn field, and probably more than 10,000 meteorites of this size are on the ground altogether. Many local residents and landowners also found meteorites, as well as persons from across the prairies and meteorite dealers who traveled to Saskatchewan to try their luck.

Typing of the meteorite has been completed with the collaboration of Dr. Alex Ruzicka and Dr. Melinda Hutson, a husband and wife team at the Cascadia Meteorite Laboratory at Portland State University, Portland, Oregon.

“The meteorite is at the low end of the H4 type and may be transitional with type 3. It will take some more work to sort out everything, but we have good prospects to learn a lot about the rock’s history,” Ruzicka said.
A lower number in the classification indicates that a meteorite experienced less heating on its parent asteroid, making it of more interest to researchers and potentially to collectors as well. Lower metamorphic grades are relatively unusual in meteorites of the H, or “high iron” type, such as the Buzzard Coulee rocks.

Click here for more photos from Bruce McCurdy's web page

Like the other 9 (IIRC) asteroids who's orbits have been determined, this one originates in the Asteroid Belt, although precisely where has yet to be determined.

A few example orbits of the ones we know so far:

Source: MIAC

Source: Bruce McCurdy

[edit on 23-12-2008 by C.H.U.D.]

new topics

top topics

<< 40  41  42    44 >>

join