It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive object crashes over Edmonton, Canada

page: 39
<< 36  37  38    40  41  42 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   
So what I'm thinking about the dark/light scenario, is that there's probably minerals on there (magnesium is a good example) that were heating and cooling alot, so that's why it seemed like it was flashing. To me, it looked like a meteor and nothing else, but I'm basing that on the global raw news footage. I forwarded the link to my dad with the comment "Hey dad, I know you love DC comics alot, so here's Superman coming to Edmonton!" lol

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Zorgon,

What is that hairy looking stuff on that object???

Strange looking.

Space wars, for sure.

It is glaringly obvious, IMO!!!

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by rapinbatsisaltherage
So do they think the one in Idaho is a seperate event?

No - this event was seen for hundreds of miles all around.
(Correction: They were separate events it seems!)

Originally posted by interestedalways

What is that hairy looking stuff on that object???

That would be carbon fiber.

[edit on 23-11-2008 by C.H.U.D.]

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
'Flaming debris' nearly hits jet

IMO it should be: 'Flaming debris' 'nearly hits' jet

Lan airline said the captain "made visual contact with incandescent fragments several kilometres away".

Source: BBC

As I explained, numerous times in this thread, meteors (man-made or natural) could not be luminous below 20 km altitude (if that!).

12. How fast are meteorites traveling when they reach the ground?

Meteoroids enter the earth's atmosphere at very high speeds, ranging from 11 km/sec to 72 km/sec (25,000 mph to 160,000 mph). However, similar to firing a bullet into water, the meteoroid will rapidly decelerate as it penetrates into increasingly denser portions of the atmosphere. This is especially true in the lower layers, since 90 % of the earth's atmospheric mass lies below 12 km (7 miles / 39,000 ft) of height.

At the same time, the meteoroid will also rapidly lose mass due to ablation. In this process, the outer layer of the meteoroid is continuously vaporized and stripped away due to high speed collision with air molecules. Particles from dust size to a few kilograms mass are usually completely consumed in the atmosphere.

Due to atmospheric drag, most meteorites, ranging from a few kilograms up to about 8 tons (7,000 kg), will lose all of their cosmic velocity while still several miles up. At that point, called the retardation point, the meteorite begins to accelerate again, under the influence of the Earth's gravity, at the familiar 9.8 meters per second squared. The meteorite then quickly reaches its terminal velocity of 200 to 400 miles per hour (90 to 180 meters per second). The terminal velocity occurs at the point where the acceleration due to gravity is exactly offset by the deceleration due to atmospheric drag.

Meteoroids of more than about 10 tons (9,000 kg) will retain a portion of their original speed, or cosmic velocity, all the way to the surface. A 10-tonner entering the Earth's atmosphere perpendicular to the surface will retain about 6% of its cosmic velocity on arrival at the surface. For example, if the meteoroid started at 25 miles per second (40 km/s) it would (if it survived its atmospheric passage intact) arrive at the surface still moving at 1.5 miles per second (2.4 km/s), packing (after considerable mass loss due to ablation) some 13 gigajoules of kinetic energy.

On the very large end of the scale, a meteoroid of 1000 tons (9 x 10^5 kg) would retain about 70% of its cosmic velocity, and bodies of over 100,000 tons or so will cut through the atmosphere as if it were not even there. Luckily, such events are extraordinarily rare.

All this speed in atmospheric flight puts great pressure on the body of a meteoroid. Larger meteoroids, particularly the stone variety, tend to break up between 7 and 17 miles (11 to 27 km) above the surface due to the forces induced by atmospheric drag, and perhaps also due to thermal stress. A meteoroid which disintegrates tends to immediately lose the balance of its cosmic velocity because of the lessened momentum of the remaining fragments. The fragments then fall on ballistic paths, arcing steeply toward the earth. The fragments will strike the earth in a roughly elliptical pattern (called a distribution, or dispersion ellipse) a few miles long, with the major axis of the ellipse being oriented in the same direction as the original track of the meteoroid. The larger fragments, because of their greater momentum, tend to impact further down the ellipse than the smaller ones. These types of falls account for the "showers of stones" that have been occasionally recorded in history. Additionally, if one meteorite is found in a particular area, the chances are favorable for there being others as well.

Source: AMS

It should be noted that "Meteoroids of more than about 10 tons" (and above), are extremely rareThese are perhaps 1 in 100 year occurrences, at the lower end of this size range.

Edit to add:

Somewhat larger meteoroids—those as large as some tens of metres across—that reach the ground as meteorites melt at their surfaces while their interiors remain unheated. Even objects this large are effectively stopped by the atmosphere at altitudes of 5–25 km, although they generally separate into fragments. Following this atmospheric braking, they begin to cool, their luminosity fades, and they fall to Earth at low velocities—100–200 metres per second (225–450 miles per hour). This “dark flight” may last several minutes, in contrast to the few seconds of visible flight as a meteor. By the time a meteoroid hits the ground, it has lost so much heat that the meteorite can be touched immediately with the bare hand.

Source: britannica.com

even slow meteoroids enter the atmosphere something like 700 miles per ten seconds. But I'm basically talking about football size meteorites that, have begun their free fall segment during the dark flight stage. By the time they have reached an altitude of about 20 miles above the earth, they would have slowed down to a speed that would be considered free fall. They would have a terminal velocity comparable to what Joe Kittenger experienced during his free fall from his 20 mile jump from a balloon.

If the meteorite was quite a big larger, it would travel even lower into the atmosphere before reaching a terminal velocity minus all it's cosmic velocity. It's been estimated that about a 10 ton meteorite would have something about 2000 mph velocity just before hitting the ground, thus with a small percentage of it's cosmic velocity intact.

Source: meteorobs

Sorry, just nit picking - no reflection on the great job you've been doing here zorgon!

[edit on 23-11-2008 by C.H.U.D.]

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by C.H.U.D.

But from all the reports I've seen the one in Idaho was seen on Tuesday, or so the reports say. The one in Canada was seen on Friday, right? Both also supposedly landed in different places, so I don't see how they are related. They appear to be completely seperate events, and both reports mention a meteorite "landing" in completely different rural areas.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by rapinbatsisaltherage
reply to post by C.H.U.D.

But from all the reports I've seen the one in Idaho was seen on Tuesday, or so the reports say. The one in Canada was seen on Friday, right? Both also supposedly landed in different places, so I don't see how they are related. They appear to be completely seperate events, and both reports mention a meteorite "landing" in completely different rural areas.

They were different days? Sorry, my bad... then they were separate and unconnected events.

It has been a busy past few days!

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   
This could be the closet to a impact we have seen so far, luckily it vaporised before it reached the ground.Make no mistake this would have been picked up on deep space radar.If you live near edmonton go grab you self some space rock people pay good money for it.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by noncorporeal
luckily it vaporised before it reached the ground....
If you live near edmonton go grab you self some space rock people pay good money for it.

Ummm if it VAPORISED not likely to be much space rock to grab

Just a thought

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Anyone know why there is a name of area around the meteorite crash zone known as Division 12?

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   
i live in edmonton, alberta (north side)

although i did not see it, i think people are making a huge fuss over this. as far as im concerned, a chunk of spacerock came in and vaporized.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

supposedly those mystery metal balls you posted are parts pf satellite fuel tanks
but I cannot confirm this, just searched google and thats what someone said they could be...

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by C.H.U.D.
Sorry, just nit picking - no reflection on the great job you've been doing here zorgon!

Well Nit Pick THIS Mister these things are rare...

Historic Asteroid 2008 TC3 Hits Earth as Predicted

www.astroengine.com...

2008 TC3 wasn’t a particularly interesting asteroid. It wasn’t very big (only 1-5 metres wide) and it didn’t really stand out as being special (if it was special, we didn’t have any time to realise it anyway). If 2008 TC3 was in a crowd of other asteroids you wouldn’t have picked it out. In fact, it was that “normal” that it wasn’t named, it just kept its original asteroid designation number. 2008 TC3 was an ordinary piece of space rock in an extraordinary situation.

Seems NASA uses the words 'normal' and 'ordinary' not 'rare'

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Well Nit Pick THIS Mister these things are rare...

--snip--

Seems NASA uses the words 'normal' and 'ordinary' not 'rare'

What are you saying zorgon?

What do you consider to be 'rare' ?

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   
According to the articles i've read so far, the one in Canada fell on Thursday at around 5:30 p.m. (local time):
1-2-3

and the Surveillance cameras in Idaho have captured these ones
Link # 1-Link # 2 on Tuesday about 5:30 a.m. PST.
If I'm not mistaken, they fall in the same Time Zone: different time and days, though.

[edit on 23/11/2008 by internos]

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by warrenb
supposedly those mystery metal balls you posted are parts pf satellite fuel tanks
but I cannot confirm this,

Hmmm yes space junk... tanks... kinda the stuff that falls during space wars

www.thelivingmoon.com...

The New Zealand one was 27 Mar 2008
The Brazilian one was 24th Mar, 2008
The Flaming Space Junk Narrowly Misses Jet was 28th March 2007

July 22nd, 2008 A huge piece of space debris, weighing 1400 lb (635 kg) and the size of two refrigerators, is gradually falling to Earth

February 19, 2007 What was it? It was a mystery for almost 24 hours until satellite expert Daniel Deak matched the trajectory of the plume in Palmer's photo with the orbit of a derelict rocket booster--"a Briz-M, catalog number 28944."

January 11 2007 Several sources have reported a Chinese ASAT test was carried out against the Chinese FENGYUN 1C polar-orbiting weather satellite on 2007 January 11 More Debris

DOG GONE COSMIC LITTERBUGS

Green spots are space junque, red dots are additions from the Chinese kill

And when the ISS flushes their toilets you get this...

Huge Block Of Ice Falls From Sky In Oakland

We are deliberately crashing ships onto the Moon, Mars is litterd with debris from heat sheilds, shutes, etc ...we smash into comets and cause 'unexpected' explosions, drop plutonium laden craft into Jupiter and Saturn...

Why is it Man has to litter wherever he goes? And these guys get paid to do it

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

China says they're going to do better.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

We've been hauling trash from the ISS for a while now.
Trash Management

Of course, there are occasional oops'es.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 05:01 PM
link   
news.bbc.co.uk...

Another link to the police car footage from the mainstream.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
Anyone know why there is a name of area around the meteorite crash zone known as Division 12?

Division No. 12, Saskatchewan, Canada, is one of the eighteen census divisions within the province, as defined by Statistics Canada. It is located in the west-central part of the province. The most populous community in this division is Battleford.

According to the 2006 census, 22,452 people lived in this division. It has a land area of 13,887.42 km² (5,361.96 sq mi).

Division No. 12, Saskatchewan-Wikipedia
Division No. 12, Saskatchewan-Statistics Canada

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by internos

It certainly appears to be the same event. I think someone got the dates mixed up!?

Tuesday/Thursday - quite easy to mix up.

It seems unlikely that a second meteor of this magnitude occurred in the same area in the space of 2 days and exactly the same time of day.

It must be the same event. I've heard of no others reported.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by C.H.U.D.
reply to post by internos

It certainly appears to be the same event. I think someone got the dates mixed up!?
Tuesday/Thursday - quite easy to mix up.
It seems unlikely that a second meteor of this magnitude occurred in the same area in the space of 2 days and exactly the same time of day.
It must be the same event. I've heard of no others reported.

It's the same thing i thought too
Actualy, when i saw the report from Idaho, at first glance they looked to be the same date/time to me: now, after taking a better look, they turned out to be two different days and even two different times: one 5:30 PM and the other one 5:30 AM.
news.bbc.co.uk...

Video from an Idaho Air National Guard security camera at Gowen Field in Boise, Idaho, captures a meteor sighting Tuesday about 5:30 a.m. PST.

www.spokesmanreview.com...

Ed: fixed link

Ed 2: LMAO, mystery solved:
article published on Sunday, 23 November 2008
BUT
Courtesy Idaho Air National Guard - first broadcast 20 Feb 2008
www.spokesmanreview.com...

And it can be found even in Google News, published 10 hours ago .

The story can be found HERE.

[edit on 23/11/2008 by internos]

new topics

top topics

<< 36  37  38    40  41  42 >>

join