It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Experts: Al Qaeda Feels Threatened by Obama Victory

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Experts: Al Qaeda Feels Threatened by Obama Victory

www.nsnetwork.org

Experts agree that the release of a new tape by Al Qaeda’s second in command Ayman al-Zawahri indicates that Al Qaeda feels threatened and is on its heels after Obama’s resounding victory. President-elect Obama’s diverse background, along with his pledge to reverse many of the policies and approaches of the Bush administration on issues such as detentions at Guantanamo, torture and the war in Iraq has served to dramatically improve America’s image, especially in the Muslim world. Counter-terrorism expert Richard Clarke explained, “Most of all, by returning to American values the world admires, Obama sets al Qaeda back enormously in the battle of ideas, the ideological struggle which determines whether al Qaeda will continue to have significant support in the Islamic world.” Having thrived on the decline in America’s world image, the impact of Obama’s victory provides a direct challenge to Al Qaeda’s negative depiction of the United States. Additionally, Obama’s emphasis on shifting US attention from Iraq to Afghanistan represents a direct physical threat to Al Qaeda’s leadership. America’s improved global image and the new administration’s focus on Afghanistan threatens Al Qaeda and has led to what experts see as a confused, racist, and off-kilter response reflective of an organization on the defensive.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I expect they would.

If Obama carries out his plan for withdrawing from Iraq within 16 months that alone destroys their biggest recruitment tool.

If Obama then refocuses American might on Afghanistan and the lawless tribal regions where the Taliban and Al Qaeda seek refuge then they really are boxed into a corner.

And If Obama successfully changes the image of America abroad, especially among disaffected Muslim youth then one of their major sources of recruits drys up.

It should be interesting.

www.nsnetwork.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   
there trying to anger him into attacking them using racial slurs. rather last resort tactics of you ask me.

www.abc.net.au...

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Sooo...does this mean that the 44th president will have enemies in the CIA, then?

[dry]Terrific...[/dry]

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   
This just goes to show that we, the American People, made the right decision.

During this administration, we will see the end of Al-Qaida as a serious threat.

No doubt there will always be those folks like the ones who flew the airplanes into the twin towers, we will never be free of assymetric warfare.

However, Al-Qaida as an entity will go the same way as their leader OBL.

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

During this administration, we will see the end of Al-Qaida as a serious threat.

Doubtful.... maybe in the minds of those who are quick to forget, but not to those who have real concern.

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth

Doubtful.... maybe in the minds of those who are quick to forget, but not to those who have real concern.

You are probably right, those who continue to fight al-qaida in the open have allowed the enemy to grow and to recruit more members. Although I do have to say that the network has been well disrupted.

However, the policies of the new admin will remove any reason d'etre that Al-qaida has, and reduce them to simply a memory of a bad time.

Now I'm not saying we will get rid of religious fundamentalism, heck it runs rampant here in the states. But we will remove Al-qaida as any serious force in the world.

I mean look at the title of the thread? AQ feel threatened by BHO... why do you think that is?

[edit on 20-11-2008 by HunkaHunka]

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   
The reason why I posted it is a counter weight to all the hubris about how an Obama presidency will embolden Al Qaeda or how an Obama presidency will weaken America and so on.

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Only time will tell how Obama will affect the ways that America's enemies perceive us. I don't think our upcoming surrender in Iraq will do much to
build the confidence of the world in our ability to combat terrorism.

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheAvenger
Only time will tell how Obama will affect the ways that America's enemies perceive us. I don't think our upcoming surrender in Iraq will do much to
build the confidence of the world in our ability to combat terrorism.

Not if you put it that way...

But if you put it another way, then yes it will.

You can spin it anyway you like. But it's not a surrender. There is a gov in place and they have asked us to leave.

That seems more like mission accomplished to me :-)

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   
YOU CANNOT WIN AN OCCUPATION!!!!!!! Iraq is an occupation. SIGH!!!

We need a sigh icon or a pounding one's head against a brick wall icon or better both.

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 03:01 PM
link   
This is propaganda, in my opinion. Look how pro America it is (I am not anti America).

The Arab world should be pleased that Guatanamo is being dealt with, they should be pleased that Obama holds differing views on the War in Iraq and wants withdrawel.

And America has yet to dramatically improve its' image in the world. The image, as it stands, is that Bush is leaving (he had no choice) and that the President Elect has stated and intimated along the lines of his catch phrase for change.

Al-Qaeda, if it is indeed not a CIA invented scapegoat, shouldn't care who the President is because it matters not who is in office for terrorist atacks on public property to occur, no matter how you slice it.

Sorry, but I call shenanigans on this. 'Experts' huh? Well I may not be one, but I disagree...

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   

I mean look at the title of the thread? AQ feel threatened by BHO... why do you think that is?

To be honest, I am perplexed as to why that would be. I mean, Obama hasn't done anything but talk in glowing terms of how he was to "negotiate" everything. Why that would lend to fear is beyond me.

It will be interesting to see how he reacts to his first challenge, and there will be one.

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
indicates that Al Qaeda feels threatened and is on its heels after Obama’s resounding victory.

Can you say propaganda???

This is the biggest load of rubbish I have ever heard.

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dermo

indicates that Al Qaeda feels threatened and is on its heels after Obama’s resounding victory.

Can you say propaganda???

Really?

Considering the unprovoked invasion of Iraq gave them the biggest recruitment drive ever and "proved" their claim that we were waging a war against Islam... I don't think so.

Considering if we'd spent the energy, money and manpower in Afghanistan tracking them down to the death that we wasted in Iraq... I don't think so.

And considering if we actually engaged the Muslim world in a meaningful way, like reaching a lasting peace as opposed to acting like the global bully... I don't think so.

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Considering the unprovoked invasion of Iraq gave them the biggest recruitment drive ever and "proved" their claim that we were waging a war against Islam... I don't think so.

Considering if we'd spent the energy, money and manpower in Afghanistan tracking them down to the death that we wasted in Iraq... I don't think so.

And considering if we actually engaged the Muslim world in a meaningful way, like reaching a lasting peace as opposed to acting like the global bully... I don't think so.

Come on! The Taliban got the recruitment drive.. not Al Qaeda.

Why would Al Qaeda (If they actually exist) feel threatened when Obama is going to pull out of Iraq and ensure their human rights are respected when suspects are being interrogated?

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

This just goes to show that we, the American People, made the right decision.

That is very debatable.

Obama hasn't even took office yet. This article is nothing but propaganda. Let's see how he handles Al-Qaeda once he takes office.

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by grover

YOU CANNOT WIN AN OCCUPATION!!!!!!! Iraq is an occupation. SIGH!!!

And once Obama sends in more troops to Afghanistan, Afghanistan will be an occupation. At least in the eyes of the Afghan's. Russia could second me on this statement.

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Al-Qaeda is on its heels as Obama election transforms image of the U.S.

No, al Qaeda is on it's heels because we have hunted them down and killed them at every opportunity for the last 5 years. During that time, Obama has been against those efforts.

Hopefully, Obama's appeasement policies won't release the Gitmo crowd back into the general populace.

Pure propaganda.

[edit on 20-11-2008 by jsobecky]

new topics

top topics

join