It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bible Gets A Reality Check

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by theindependentjournal

I've seen it...

from what I can remember, they find little evidence to support a group of wandering Jews... and state if Moses was the son of a Pharoh like the bible claimed, there should be documentation of his existence in the egyptian records.

From everything I remember, the only evidence provided was apologetics, and only described how things may have happened, offering no proof that they did happen.

proving that something COULD have happened and proving something DID happen are two different things.

I'm obsessive about the history channel and 99% of the time have it on, even in the background. My favorite quote, from a show on jesus played on easter Sunday: "The bible is not historically accurate"

I'll have to see if I can find that show for you...

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

HunkaHanka:

I am one of those Christians who like my bible and plan on keeping it thank you very much!

As a FOLLOWER OF CHRIST I find it quite handy to have the book around when I might want to read a piece of scripture and just kind of hang out with some of my friends I've gotten to know over the past 30 some years of being a Christian.

Now, do I go to one of those. oh goodness no, a CHURCH? No, I do not. I believe if one comes to the Father with a humbled heart, mind, body and spirit in our alone time with him that the Holy Spirit can teach us as Jesus told the disciples to wait in the room for that which he had told them his Father was to send to them. I believe that we can reach heaven its self if we come to the throne room with humility in our whole selves both inside and outside. Then the Father can show us the mysteries of heaven and tell us the secrets that only angels know. He can reach down and lift us up when our spirit becomes one with his spirit. No greater story has ever been told and no sweeter song has ever been sung as what is put in your heart.!

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by nj2day

Well you must be old like me for your memory fails you. I hate it when that happens...

They get much Egyptian History and writings on the MASS of Hittites leaving and the Pharaoh drowning is in the hieroglyphs. It is amazing the amount of Egyptian history that is written and proves the Exodus story true and accurate.

I would like for you to actually watch it, or watch it again and pay attention this time. It really is incredible stuff and not by a bible thumper either.

I will give you that those stories found by that archeologist do not include Moses but it does include the plagues. But this would not be weird for Egyptians to erase the history of a person, particularly a Pharaoh or his brother. Remember Hatsheput the Pharaoh that they tried to erase off all the walls and statues...

I won't say this show proves Moses but I think it clearly proves the plagues and the MASS exodus of the Jews, the wall paintings show them as olive skinned bearded men in multi color coverings.

Watch it again when you get a chance and U2U me back after. I really am interested in your opinions of that archeologists finds, but you need them fresh in our head and in total. You don't have to do it NOW whenever you get back to it or have a chance. I don't think I am going anywhere so I have time.

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by theindependentjournal

after the kiddos go to bed in a few hours, I'll check and see if it is on History Channel on demand... (digital cable rocks).

Hopefully I'll get back to u in a few hours..

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I for one will not view the program that is talked about because it sounds
like someone or something is trying to distort the true writtings of the Holy
Bible that I beleive in.

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Nice article. Thow I wonder why they always refer to hebrews as starting the first monothiestic religion?

Wasnt the persian zoroastrianism the first? Or the worship of Aten in egypt?

I thought circumcision was done first in egypt? How was it god's covenant?

Just a few questions i never see answered or talked about much.

Good article though

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by crazyjames65

Here comes crazyjames again...

you do realize that the level of discomfort that you display when confronted with anything not in line with your breed of religion, points out your insecurities in your faith...

In my years, I've noticed that people who tend to be that adamant about not accepting anything that conflicts with their faith, are compartmentalizing. That is, you keep your faith and your reason in two separate sections of your brain... never allowing them to touch...

If you don't reconcile the two, like many believers do, the two will end up colliding, and conflicting with each other in the future...

So, keep up the denial of reason... You'll be arguing from the other side someday...

here, I'll help you out: www.exchristian.net...

Those guys will support you when you're "transition" happens..

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I just hope Jesus can explain more than the history channel can provide.
After all the history channel tore apart the 10 plagues from the Bible and
set confusion onto millions of people, is that right?
My breed, come on give me a break please.

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I do remeber Jesus saying that people will hate me for beleiving in him,
and here we go.

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by jaydelay
Wasnt the persian zoroastrianism the first? Or the worship of Aten in egypt?

Technically, I'd say it was the worship of Aten in Egypt since Zoroastrianism had a "good god" and "bad god." (I will resist the temptation to make "good cop/bad cop" jokes here. I really will. You should be impressed.) Aten was a sole god but the concept was much disliked by the people and his son, Tutankhamen, went back to the worship of multiple gods.

Basically, it was the worship of Ahkenaten as the one and only son of the one and only god.

I thought circumcision was done first in egypt? How was it god's covenant?

Can't answer the second, but here's a very interesting page on it, including the note that only circumcised priests in Rome could perform certain functions:
www.circlist.com...

There's some fascinating documents on the site (and links you can check)... probably more about circumcision than anyone but an anthropologist would like to know about.

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I personally have said over and over (on my threads or posts) that the Bible was not written based on original writings, but on copies. This presents so many problems. Man is very fallible and the fact that no two religions can agree on its doctrines or some of the basic teachings that vary so much from each other, tells us logically - that something is wrong! It is an obvious reality.

The paradox is; could it still be possible that God had inspired the Bible regardless of all the issues it obviously has? So is it the Bible that is totally wrong, or is it the Christian machine that drives it (interprets it)?

Something tells me that when you have a JW locking horns with an evangelical over the trinity issue, and both knowing beyond a shadow of a doubt that "they" are right...you are presented with an interesting problem! Since it is a black and white issue with no middle ground, one of you has to be wrong! Yet, you would base your life on the thought that you must be right!

It has been my belief for a few years that the Bible was written deliberately to mislead. If your whole belief system is centered around "your facts" regarding the Bible and yet...new information gets revealed to show there are loopholes in "your facts," then, perhaps the Bible begs to be understood in a totally different light.

It is more than a challenge for a Christian to look beyond their beliefs to see if God is actually trying to enlighten those who want to move beyond orthodox beliefs. Many such as myself were adamant Christians at one time, but found too many conflicts. Does that mean we throw the baby out with the bathwater?

The Bible is getting a reality check because it is long overdue, and new information is bursting forth that cannot be denied! I choose to add all the new information that may actually have some validity to it, and reconcile it with what I do believe the Bible has always been trying to say. It is fascinating and liberating!!

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by crazyjames65

you mistook my use of the word breed... what I meant by that was denomination and religious beliefs...

You are most likely fundamental/evangelical x-tian from what I gather... which means you would not believe the same dogma as the Catholics, Anglicans, nor the Lutherans...

It was not meant to be a derogatory term...

I never stated I hate you. On the contrary, I wish nothing but the best for you... which is why I stated the importance on de-compartmentalizing the religion and reason areas of your psyche, and reconciling the two before they unexpectedly meet at a future date.

That is what happened to me... and when they unexpectedly meet, it is a hugely life changing event, and is extremely frightening... You will never be able to believe blindly again as you do now... but you'll try and fake it, because its what you're "supposed" to do... eventually, what you believe is true starts burning down around you as you try and rationalize everything at once...

You should reconcile the differences now... and you won't have the head on collision that will happen in your future if you don't...

Remember James, not everyone who doesn't agree with your faith is your enemy.

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by theindependentjournal
Well you must be old like me for your memory fails you. I hate it when that happens...

I hear ya. That's why Google is my friend.

They get much Egyptian History and writings on the MASS of Hittites leaving and the Pharaoh drowning is in the hieroglyphs.

Actually, there aren't any Egyptian sources saying that a Pharaoh died while the Hittites were leaving. Ramses didn't drown... he lived long after the Hittite issue was settled (by peace treaty). And apparently there was a Smenkhkhare, the Hittite Pharaoh. Sometime after that (1200 BC) the Hittites fall to a group known as "The Sea People."

It is amazing the amount of Egyptian history that is written and proves the Exodus story true and accurate.

Actually, it doesn't.

But this would not be weird for Egyptians to erase the history of a person, particularly a Pharaoh or his brother. Remember Hatsheput the Pharaoh that they tried to erase off all the walls and statues...

Problem is, there's no story of a prince that matches the Moses story in any way. There isn't any evidence for a mass departure from the country of any group that had been living there for some time. There's evidence of armies marching in and leaving, yes, but not a whole group of non-military folk.

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by nj2day

In my years, I've noticed that people who tend to be that adamant about not accepting anything that conflicts with their faith, are compartmentalizing. That is, you keep your faith and your reason in two separate sections of your brain... never allowing them to touch...

I starred you. This is very logical and true. I have always had a thirst for accurate knowledge. But I have found in all my years of being part of religion that; questioning is only ok up to a point. Then you are admonished to let the questioning go as it might lead you astray. How sad!

Your mind goes along with your religious masses while your heart is questioning. We were given a conscience in order to question! What a dichotomy!

Not all religion can be right and that is a fact! Once I accepted that my former religion could be wrong (and I always questioned to a degree) I was then open to new discoveries. But it takes guts!! Lots of guts, when you have been brainwashed to believe you will suffer or even die if you leave!

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by MatrixProphet

MatrriProphet:

I believe their is both worldly andspiritual knowledge. Now, I think when given spiritual awakeings within our souls we are given secrets that only one spirit can learn from God's spirit. Even if someone would be fool enough not to take their bible seriously we have the teacher that has been given us (the Holy Spirit) and when we come to God as we should each day he can help us see beyound the veil into the holy temple its self.

As we crucify our earthly desires each day to gain knowledge of the essence of the Father. There is a reality that only those with spiritual eyes and those with spiritual ears can see into another reality and hear words spoken in another reality, There is another consciousness beyound the earthly one.

Don't sell the bible short. It does help those seeking the light to enlightenment find the way to begin their journey home.

Thank you!

Peace

Grandma

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Grandma

The only sweetness in the story of the Bible is the humble acts of Jesus.

The Bible can be dangerous for a follower who doesn't know any better to weigh a vine from the seed.

People are believing that God killed man through man.

People are believing that Gods way is a way of separation through a special people, special land, that brings war amongst us all.

People are believing that even when world peace starts to show....KILL KILL KILL, its the ANTICHRIST.

It can be very dangerous.

LV

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Read "From Eden to Exile, Unraveling Mysteries of the Bible" by Eric H. Cline its from an archaeologists point of view.

This is just a review of the book.

In From Eden to Exile: Unraveling Mysteries of the Bible, Eric Cline blends the stuff of summer — sun, sand and stories — with archaeology to come up with some surprisingly intriguing beach reading. Who doesn't love a good mystery, especially one thousands of years old?

The Garden of Eden, the Tower of Babel, the Ark of the Covenant and the Ten Lost Tribes of Israel are all biblical mysteries that resonate today. "These mysteries are not ancient history," writes Cline in his book's introduction. "They are still very much around today, showing up every few weeks in newspaper headlines.

Cline employs a friendly but skeptical voice to march through the Old Testament's mysteries, ranging from Eden's location to the where and how of Joshua's military campaigns. He wields the scholarly record as a scale for judging the evidence for each theory, never completely dismissing anything, and leaving questions of theology or scriptural interpretation to the experts in those fields.

Readers may be surprised to learn how many other civilizations were writing their own records, preserved in tablets and inscriptions, both during and before the time of the ancient Israelites. The Sumerians had a flood myth older than the Old Testament. The hero was originally named Ziusudra, then Atrahasis and Utnapishtim, Cline notes, before anyone ever heard of Noah. Other stories of warfare or tribute from the ancient empires of Hittites, Babylonians and Egyptians sometimes mirror the biblical accounts, with one big difference: "Although there are obvious similarities, the most significant changes are the moralistic or ethical endings or twists that were added to the original story" in the Bible, Cline finds.

Where the archaeology is clear, Cline finds convincing evidence that the biblical conquests around the 12th century B.C. weren't the work of Joshua and his horn but an invading army that overthrew the Hittites and severely checked the ancient Egyptians, leaving the Israelites behind to take over ancient Israel. Similarly, the best evidence suggests the Ark of the Covenant was not buried under Temple Mount, but captured and melted down by Nebuchadnezzar's invading army in 586 B.C.

Near Eastern archaeologists working in the conflict-ridden Middle East (Cline is an associate director for the excavation outside Jerusalem of Megiddo, source of the word "Armageddon") know well the evidence of ancient warfare they uncover resonates in today's world. In the last, and best-researched, chapter of the book, Cline tackles the fate of the Ten Lost Tribes of Israel, a question some have answered with theories of migrations ranging from India to Africa to America. Fortunately, records remain from the Neo-Assyrian invaders, the folks responsible for dispersing the tribes, and Babylonian contemporaries.

The best evidence suggests the invaders deported thousands of Israelites, but the vast majority simply remained there, either living among the invaders or fleeing to the south, both phenomena detailed in ancient buildings. One of the many tragedies of the current situation in Israel is that conflict with Palestinians essentially is a battle between cousins, Cline suggests.

"People need stories, not just data, to make sense of their lives," he concludes, adding a note of caution for readers about the next time they hear of a biblical mystery finally solved.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

www.usatoday.com...

[edit on 26-11-2008 by Horus12]

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Grandma

There is a reality that only those with spiritual eyes and those with spiritual ears can see into another reality and hear words spoken in another reality, There is another consciousness beyound the earthly one.

This is actually exactly what I am talking of. To gain new spiritual insight often includes letting go of the old. I have always believed that in the end of times there would be new light. If we can't let go of the old, then the odds are; that we will not have the spiritual insight to see the change.

How often I have said: if Jesus himself came back to earth (which I don't believe) what are the chances that he would ironically be called the Anti-Christ! We make a grave mistake in holding Jesus or Jah to the Bible. The Bible was written for man and only for man and not for the Gods. This is evidenced by all the mistakes therein.

Unless, your God is very faulty? Or is a massive under-achiever? Or just plain and simply doesn't have the character to start something, and then have the ability to see it through and make sure that it is recorded right? Sounds like an adult child of an alcoholic!!

Jah to me is very highly evolved, very logical and very capable of inspiring a book that would reflect his words. So since this is not the case, then, there must be another purpose to his authorship.

Ahh, perhaps to use it as a tool to separate the masses, so all can claim that "they" have the accurate understanding, they all can profess that "they" have the truth?

Or is it a tool to distinguish those who have the spiritual eyesight to see through it, and to see some of its hidden meanings??? You cannot religiously justify all the new information that is now being revealed, unless you choose to wear blinders.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join