It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What will you tell your children?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 03:01 PM
link   
My 3 kids are very glad that I have taught them to be self reliant.

They also know that if they are ever in trouble or a bad situation that they
can call me, no matter what.

I've told them everything I know about the things that count in the real world
and have never pretended to be perfect.
I know they will experiment and test boundaries, but also know when it's time to
engage their brains and avoid trouble, they have an advantage from what they've learned
from me.

I haven't spoiled them or given them everything they want and it's worked out very well.

They see their spoiled and over sheltered friends as helpless in a tough situation.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 03:04 PM
link   
hi, i know i'm late onto this post but it's a fantastic topic to which i can relate.
btw new to ats and this is my first response. i have 3 kids - 7, 9, and 12(going on 16), and the eldest knows what's up with the state we are in and of the possible future. the younger ones are so living in the moment that it's not a concern. but what is great about them is their ability to adapt to any situation. a couple of years ago we sold all our belongings and moved to india -kids and all- and threw ourselves into the deep end, so much so that it turned into a nightmare of sorts and after 5 months we were considered locals in the town we stayed, we ended up being as poor as our neighbours and looking back i'd do it all again. point being the children went with the flow -ups, downs, ins and outs - and came out of the experience better individuals for it.
some may say, and some did, that what myself and my wife did, taking the family and doing what we did was irresponsible but you know what, we as a family now know what we are capable of in a #ty situation and how to deal with it.
with the amount of sites dedicated to survival, all things primitive and the whole ray mears and bears guy thing on tv , this topic is now a strong part of the collective conscience with those it resonates with . kids love the outdoors, they just don't know it and if you can drag them away from their play stations and cell phones for a few hours a week and show then the basics - fire water shelter etc. it becomes a game, and it is a wonderful joy to see them lovin' it.
if you teach your kids to live in the now, there is no worry about the future. all is good.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I haven't told my daughter what I think will happen because I want her to grow up as carefree as possible.

I have just given her general instructions on what to do in any type of emergency.

Lets just hope nothing happens.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join