It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arraignment set for Cheney, Gonzales in Texas

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Arraignment set for Cheney, Gonzales in Texas

news.yahoo.com

A Texas judge has set a Friday arraignment for Vice President Dick Cheney, former U.S. Attorney General Alberto Gonzales and others named in indictments accusing them of responsibility for prisoner abuse in a federal detention center.

Cheney, Gonzales and the others will not be arrested, and do not need to appear in person at the arraignment, Presiding Judge Manuel Banales said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.brownsvilleherald.com
www.canada.com
www.newsday.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Dick CHeney and Alberto Gonzales indicted.
Cheney & Gonzales charged over jail 'abuses'
Willacy County Indicts Vice President

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Apparently the prosecutor who won the indictments didn't even show for court.

I guess he might not have thought that he was going to get it.

In many ways, I hope this is just the first trickle in the dike, and not a one of a kind oddity. But it seems that there are circus-like elements involved in the case.

You don't see the Vice President and Attorney General indicted too often though, nor do you see them arraigned without even being there in person.
What a joke this administration has been...
DocMoreau

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 09:11 AM
link   
All I'm gonna say on this is:

Money Talks and Sh*t Walks.

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 09:14 AM
link   
www.mysanantonio.com...

There is the story about the DA not showing. Hmmm, I wonder why he would kick up such a fuss, convince a grand jury against all odds to indict Darth Cheney and then fail to show? Skeered and Afeared? Of what? Of who? Rhetorical questions all.

[edit on 20/11/2008 by kosmicjack]

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

Exactly. Even though they were rhetorical questions, it is pretty weird to go to the trouble to indict someone (especially those someones) and then decide to take a rain check on it all. Some of the articles discuss how the prosecutor is a 'lame duck' and will be out of office soon. Perhaps this is his blaze of glory, that he never thought would get this far?

DocMoreau

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I bet you this was a political 'fire and forget' task set before him. The results were an irrelevancy; they probably just wanted to present a public negative news item to weaken the parties apparent propensity to have its members lack accountability.

Of course, if it turns out that the prosecutor didn't intend to go 'this far' this constitutes an example of what a real 'abuse of the legal system' looks like.

Pathetic; charge and run, a new legal strategy by the people who bring you "justice."

Given the pardoning power of the CEO of this cabal, they probably just wanted to get them charges so he could pardon them and they would not have to run from the law. But there is SO much they can be charged with..., it's really a waste of effort.

[edit on 20-11-2008 by Maxmars]

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I wonder how this would play into Double Jeopardy laws?

Imagine, he's indicted and because the DA doesn't show up, the case is dropped or otherwise insufficiently tried...then, the issue is closed never to be opened again...

Though, thats just an idea...I'd have to look into it...this is probably not the case.

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   
One thing is for sure, you can't say that Texas doesn't have a big pair of iron clad balls.

Just like that good ol saying... Everything is bigger in TEXAS

Don't mess with Texas.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Can anyone say Extraordinary Rendition? You put them on a plane after Bush/Cheney declares them "Enemy Combatants" and fly them to Belarus and torture them to death...

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Wow, I would think that Cheney getting arraigned for anything would cause more discussion.

I think this thread got cherry picked, and it is not a symbol of the apathy of the membership of ats. i hope not.

DocMoreau

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Star for you Doc...

I wonder how this would play into Double Jeopardy laws?

Imagine, he's indicted and because the DA doesn't show up, the case is dropped or otherwise insufficiently tried...then, the issue is closed never to be opened again...

I believe that is exactly what is going on here.

Furthermore, it's my belief that Bush's pardoning of himself against war crimes at the Federal level may have indeed been passed in both Congress and the Senate, and therefore when the arraignment date came it was too late. Being that the State of Texas wants to protect their precious ex-president from anyone trying to charge Him or any of his other Texan cronies for similar actions using similar laws, they manufacture charges related to those Bush pardoned himself for (which may be untouchable at the Federal level but can still be challenged at the State level), and then close the issue by a default - which closes it permanantly from future prosecution - thus now protecting Cheney and Gonzales from complicity as well.

The Bush Administration can still be indicted by the World Court for these charges, if someone takes the step to approach the Hague with legitimate evidence (such as the documents and other things Bush has placed FOIA exemptions on) and produce a case.

There is however another loophole that can be used to bring about a justified end to the means provided, and that is if someone then takes the parties to be indicted and include the State of Texas into the mix and indict them all on Conspiracy to commit war crimes against the people of the United states of America (s not capitalized on purpose). But nobody's going to do it...

And there you have it - special, huh?

I think this thread got cherry picked, and it is not a symbol of the apathy of the membership of ats. i hope not.

Face it Doc, there's been a tremendous amount of scandal flooding Americans lately, perhaps it isn't apathy, but instead heart break and absolute disbelief in all that we hold dear being RAPED in front of our faces.

I'd like to call it shock...

I predict a severe backlash on all that's happening, so if you're looking for a reaction, get ready to reap the whirlwind when it approaches because you're gonna get alot more than hoped for reaction - wise than a post frenzie to your efforts !...

Thanks for your efforts by the way, hope you got my back like I got yours when it happens.

top topics

join