It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calif. Supreme Court to take up gay marriage ban

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Calif. Supreme Court to take up gay marriage ban

apnews.myway.com

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - California's highest court has agreed to hear legal challenges to a new ban on gay marriage, but is refusing to allow gay couples to resume marrying until it rules.

All three cases claim the ban abridges the civil rights of a vulnerable minority group. They argue that voters alone did not have the authority to enact such a significant constitutional change.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 05:59 AM
link   
Here we go again! I'm glad I don't live in Cali.

More bench legislation and the voters once again don't mean anything. There goes your voter confidence. Why even bother next time. Leave it up to a judge. We seem to do that best in this country.

Could someone please define what constitutes a vulnerable minority group? In my eyes, I would deem someone with severe physical or mental disabilities as being part of a vulnerable minority.

As far as I can see, the only vulnerable characteristic of this group is the inability to technically "Marry". They are able to hold high paying jobs, own homes , earn dual incomes, own cars, own land, own businesses and VOTE. Is that vulnerable?

How about living your life as a quadriplegic or multiple amputee or being dependent on others for your pure basic existence. That is vulnerable.

Settle for a legal Civil Union and drop it. All you want are the legalities that accompany a marriage anyway. A marriage is only a piece of paper. There are plenty of common law marriages out there. It should be all about your relationship and not just a piece of paper.

This seems like a fight just for the sake of fighting. Settle for your legal rights and leave "marriage" on the table.

apnews.myway.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 20-11-2008 by jibeho]

[edit on 20-11-2008 by jibeho]

join