It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christmas is such a HYPOCRISY (and I hate it)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Well for all it's worth. HAPPY THANKSGIVING & A MERRY CHRISTMAS & A HAPPY NEW YEAR.

I really hope you get something nice.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Raud

Ok since you do not like Christmas so much that's fine but you put this thread out there so we can voice our thoughts. Then you come along and tear our posts apart. I really could care less what your thoughts on Christmas is I did not ask the question you did. So I came along and post my thoughts and you tear the post apart so go crawl in a hole until it is all over. I just was posting my thoughts on Christmas. Not to have my post torn apart by someone who can not find at least a little joy in Christmas. Man you really are a peice of work. This is why ATS/BTS is going down the drain. Because when you post even on a simple thread like this people think they are so much smarter than the rest and it makes them feel better to tear apart people's post.

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Maybe I should make myself clear about some stuff. Too bad one have to write two OP:s just because when you crack open page 2 of a thread, people tend to stop reading the OP on top of the first. Gah!

What I mean is; Jul (or Yule, or whatever), is a very nice celebration. I look forward to the darkest day of the year, just because to me, it is an important shift in the life of the earth, especially to us here in the far north, just as the longest day is also a pretty neat festive!
What my point is here is that celebrations are in place during some selected days of the year that are important. What you chose as being important is fully up to you, though I might disagree (as you might just have noticed, hehe)

But the reason why I feel that Christmas (often spelled X-mas. Why is this? It is not called "Crossmas" or "Ecsmass" either?
) is horrid, or has become horrid, is mainly the consumption and the commercials and advertisement that with themselves bring stress and pain like they would be the fifth and sixth horsemen of the apocalypse.
I just can't stand that crap, I just can't. When we enter this time of year, and everything goes into this madness, I mostly stay at home.

Knowing how the market-led society operates, you come to the insight that we are not celebrating anything really during this ancient festival. Almost every inch of "traditional" or "common" Chirstmasses are completely compromised by consumerism that one does not even know whether they celebrate anything or just doing what we are supposed to do this time of year. I hear it everyday in the subway, on the bus, in the streets:
"Oh, we have to...(this and that)" like everybody has to watch out real bad not to be out shun by somebody else.
I get the idea when you have kids and all that, but I don't think this trend should live on in its present state, I would like to see fundamental change but since kids do what kids learn...this trend will be very hard to take down.

Meeting with relatives and family, always okay. But to the ones here who says that this is the most important reason to celebrate Christmas, I have a question for you; do you meet up with them once every year? Maybe you are the "lonely old farts". If you are to meet your own flesh and blood and have a party at one (1) time each turn around the sun, why do you chose the occasion when traffic is jammed, malls crowded, subliminal sonic torture is in action, TV only show movies on one and the same theme, and so on???
Luckily for me, it seems, I get to see my loved ones more often than so, but if I had to chose a "relative reunion celebration" to have each year, I would have it in summer. That would make so much more sense.
If my relatives would all do like me and limit their activity during this period, I would fully understand it. But we do have quiet little celebration (only one kid and she will be, like, 2 months old), but I must say that I don't feel fully comfortable. If we could at least get the date straight...

But it is not only that;
I am really personally disturbed by the religious talk during this time because I think it is...not for me and I don't want it shoved down my throat. Now I know I should not bring that subject into the debate, maybe, because that is a little OT and tends to become nasty. Such stuff we can fight out in ATS, any day!

But as said not here. And for all you who agree with the Bible and so on, here is a question for you; Did not your Lord Jesus become really, really angry when he saw that his former temple was turned into a market place?
I can say that my Gods thinks the same...

And I hate Christmas carols!!! Hatehatehate! It is psychic torture man! It is against the Geneva Convention! Drilling into our heads! Aaarrrrgghh!! How can people put up with that every f-ing year for at least two months??? Voluntarily??? Are you insane???

I repeat myself: Christmas is such a HYPOCRISSSYYY!!! And I hate it!

reply to post by silverflame

Hey flame. Don't take it so bad. Absolutely no need to.
This is the Rant forum you know, and in we deal with some serious freakin, red hot
in here!

It is so tempting to keep pushing people who takes this for too serious, but you should know I have been laughing my ass of during posting on this thread. Apart for the serious arguments though, they really
me off.
It is correct that this is a discussion board and that everybody can speak their minds, but now you have entered my realm, and thus you will comply with the attitude and/or be pushed around with. Otherwise, get out of here.

[edit on 22-11-2008 by Raud due to HTML-error]

[edit on 22-11-2008 by Raud]

[edit on 22-11-2008 by Raud]

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 09:05 AM
link   
It is now December 1st and time for
Seasonal bumpings!

Originally posted by Acidtastic
I could rant on like a madman on this all day long,like your good self (that is one impressive rant btw 10/10)

Gotta love it.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Raud

I spent the last 18 Christmases (???) in retail and my hatred grew into a spewing pile of elephant dung over the years.....The music and the attitudes of shoppers did me in. The begging to please stay open late on Christmas Eve or reopen the shop just for them....ARGGHHHH!

Well, I'm not in retail anymore and am looking forward to rediscovering the holiday.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Signals

Hey Singnals,

nice that you are on the same level, especially since I am not in the mood of bashing or ranting at the moment (long day at work).

This year, my stinkmass will be even calmer than ever before.
My older sister will be in Denmark with her husbands family, and my younger sister will be out of town with her boyfriends ditto. My woman will be working in her home town so it will just be my old folks, a neighbour to them and my grandpa.
That will do just fine for me. I'll treat it like a normal visit to my parents place. The line-up of this years "celebration" is not in anyway unlike any other weekend dinner meet. I can relax this time.

I will however celebrate the Winter Solstice with my woman on the 22nd. No biggie, more of a spiritual thanksgiving and a farewell to the increasing darkness (up north in my location, the darkness really gets on your nerves after a couple of months).

But the city is already clad in red. Make me think of blood.

That colour is really stressing me up. Makes my eyes sore.
I hope the economical crisis finally kills this stupid holiday.

Keep cool and resist the seasonal dirty tricks.
We'll pull through together.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Well I can agree with some of your rant!

Christmas was fun when we were kids, but now it's only stressful and too damn commercial! - and I really despise the "Coca Cola" Christmas.

We also celebrate the Winter Solstice and having a wild party around 21/22 with friends and some family, so I guess the old pagan traditions runs deep in our neighbourhood!

I found the exactly right Anti-Christmas carol for your RANT!

Especially for you! - Ha en riktigt God Jul!

[edit on 1-12-2009 by Chevalerous]

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   
What's that smell?

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Chevalerous

Wow, that's a real classic!

Would you mind translating all of it for our non-swedish speaking members?

Keep up the resistance!

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Raud

Yeah! Sorry to all non-Scandinavian/Nordic people here!

The lyrics of this song is very good and rings true in Swedish, but I really dont know if I can translate this?

So many Swedish words have different meanings when you are translating them into English.

Wow! well, I think a translation to English of this text will be very difficult since there are so many Swedish words in the lyrics of this song which does not translate in a "good" way from Swedish into English - but what a heck! I'll give it a try:

---

We take a walk down the street one day,
my poor alter ego and me.
We are fighting with other people to make room to walk and beat ourselves up among generations, fighting with each other about the next sensations.
It is an unprecedented insane wild chase
after a thousand emeralds and a kingdom.
A free offer falls from above,
I gape and swallow and say thanks for the gift.
We open the door to a urinal,
and there's another Santa Claus/Tomtefar standing there urinating
with a long nose and a urine jet that glitters.
He pulls off his beard,
it looks like he giggles (like a mental patient).
He says: (God Jul, God Jul) "Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas!"

(Chorus)

It's not the snow that's falling.
It is comforting someone else.
Picasso's acrobats are dancing on my chest.

When I need solace.
When disguised Democrats stamp with their boots on my chest.

(Impossible for me to translate correctly from Swedish)

We check in at the Temple of Temptation.
Someone is chasing me with a stamp.
My alter ego begins to wonder why I hold my breath and count to one hundred.
I pass the test and are classified like an idiot, but fully qualified
to obey orders and go in harness.
Someone gives me a plastic ukelele
and says: "play boy, play, play."
My brain is warm but the fingers are stiff.
Suddenly, I stand there with a naked ass.
Someone sets fire to the old Santa Claus (Tomtefar)
He screams: (God Jul, God Jul)"Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas!"

When I need solace.
When disguised Democrats stamp with their boots on my chest.

We step into a program control
in which they manipulate us with rock'n'roll
and setting up lists of what is popular and hip for the moment,
Losers and heroes and other rebels & insurgents.
Someone presents new modernism, but Tomtefar/Santa Claus is blaming capitalism.
My alter ego kills himself.
Naturally I do not know what is to become of me.
There is no place for subtle shading.
Love has already burned its chances.
I'm hunted by armed and angry penguins
with very sharp tongues and with bourgeois upper-class snotty facial expressions.
At midnight it's quiet in all the houses.
Legitimate fascists, light the Christmas candles. (juleljusen)
On The streets and at the plaza's the wrecks and vinos are crawling.
Macabre and well-fed stereotypes.
I'm left alone and dance around the tree,
but where is the joy and where are the kids?
Something falls into my gray hair.
Santa Claus (Tomtefar) is damaged and is placed on a stretcher.
He says: (God Jul, God Jul) "Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas!"

When I need solace.
When the disguised Democrats stamp with their boots on my chest.

There is no snow falling.
When I need solace.
And when disguised Democrats stamp with their boots on my chest.

Phew!

---

("Tomtefar" in this context means the burden of the character role, which the father of the family is having every Christmas as the provider for the family - with stress, buying expensive gifts to the spoiled children (which they later throw away anyway) at crowded & hysterical shopping palaces/malls crowded with other stressed out "Tomtefars" just exactly like himself

In the hunt for the perfect phony & commercial Coca Cola Christmas!

And later after all this stress, when finally at home, he also have to play the perfect "character role" of Santa Claus/Tomtefar and dress up exactly like him with beard and a red dress on Christmas eve of December 24 (Scandinavian tradition) and give the spoiled children their presents.

Later he feel this emptiness, and feels cheated of being manipulated by commercial interests and corporations - he's alone in his living room with an empty soul in front of the Christmas tree and is asking himself; where is the joy? where are the kids - everyone suddenly disappeared to other places after receiving their gifts! - was this all, he asks himself? - all this stress and hard work I had, for this?

*sadly with a tear in his eye, he looks around in the empty living-room, pouring up another double whisky in his mental loneliness, and pass out!*

(When all of this is done and over with, many of the fathers of families are soo tired and stressed & burned out that they actually often collapses - a sad fact!)

[edit on 2-12-2009 by Chevalerous]

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Chevalerous

Haha, you actually did it!

Cool man!

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 03:03 AM
link   
I would suggest simply switch off the television, switch on the radio, organize a bbq with close family and friends and generally enjoy yourself without the subliminal messages of " BUY BUY BUY BUY BUY BUY

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 03:39 AM
link   
reply to post by tristar

Yeah, midwinter bbq's are alright!
A bit cold though and around my area there is not much snow until mid January, if we're lucky.
But it's a pretty neat idea.

However, I got an even better one:
Boycott the whole thing and celebrate Winter Solstice instead.

TV will be switched off though.
Too bad one can't switch of the entire world during this week of torment...

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 08:19 AM
link   
I despise Christmas! People are so damn greedy and they forget the real meaning of Christmas. Its way too commercialized now and its sad. I hear Christmas music after Halloween in Wal-Mart and I wanted to scream and break the damn speaker system. My family only seems to care what I am getting them and when they ask it makes me not want to get them anything but a sack of coal. My mother who I dont get a long with asked me to buy her a laptop...yeah that will never happen and then my sister tells me she wants all these expensive things for my nephew. No he I will buy for but I dont like how they think I have all this money to throw away on crap he wont use in a year. I keep saying I am gonna decorate for Halloween on Christmas, which is my favorite holiday

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

That's right, Mblahn...let it all come. Break the taboo, unleash the fury, speak your mind!
You are not alone, we will prevail together!

If the Christmas D-Day turns out to be as horrific as you fear it to be, just sneak away, log in and ventilate your good self right here in this thread!

Stay frosty

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Seasonal bumpings, and let me add that I still stand by all of the above! With a vengeance!

If you all want and wish for an end to this, you know, the inequalities, the destruction of earth, the depletion of precious resources, the blood-sucking of Mother Earth, you can all start by boycotting this stupid festive of consumerist madness!!!
If this is how some of us celebrate their "God" and "saviour" they are most likely celebrating an evil deity that seems to wish for the destruction of us all and the planet we inhabit.
For all of you who wants and end to the "economic/capitalist dictatorship"; start by denying the Christmas-shopping boom that the consumption-oriented economy relies on. Let's all have a gift-free holiday, or at least get all your stuff from second-hand, "black" markets. Or maybe make crafts from your own workshop!
Don't fall for the same old trick as every single freaking year. Please, for the sake of all of us, just don't do it. It is all a scam. There is nothing left of the "spirit" in this celebration, at least not if we talk philosophy and/or religion. This celebration is but a celebration of the consumerist society itself.
Don't reproduce these structures through your children, no matter how much it "hurts" to do so. That "pain" is from a separation of a malign tumour that is killing all of us.
If you want this festive to be about friendship between all peoples, love, understanding and/or whatnot do something that truly symbolizes this! Give money to charity, turn all your electricity off for 24 hours, fast in sympathy with those who have no food, volunteer for the homeless... Something in that vein, you know, or just treat the 24th as any other day in open despise towards the sickest holiday of the year. All the "love" and "unity" of this day carries with it far more exclusion and intolerance than the opposite.
If you think that the "traditional/contemporary" celebration of Christmas, as capitalism wants and have had us believe is "right", is for the glory of some "redeemer" person, you are more likely to be worshipping an anti-Christ type of God.

I say again, screw this holiday and the way we celebrate it! All our forefathers wanted was to make the sun return from the darkness of the Winter Solstice. What we seem to celebrate now, with our disgusting ways, is the descending of perpetual nightfall. Consumerist Christmas is the holiday Mother Earth dreads more than any other time of the year.

By every year that pass, the above makes more and more sense to me. I feel sick when I see our children reproducing these patterns. It is all fake, shallow lies and hypocrisy! Nothing of what people think they are celebrating during this holiday is there. It is all so wrong and the longer this insanity keeps going on, year after year, the more insane it becomes!

DENY IGNORANCE- DENY CHRISTMAS!

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I agree that Christmas has become too commercialized and people have lost sight of the real reasons why,according to beliefs,that the holiday is celebrated.I'm sorry it affects you so adversely but I understand where you're coming from.I don't get like that about the holidays but I am affected similarly by the ridiculous politics that go on.Sometimes all we can do is find a safe outlet,like this one,to vent those feelings and hope there are understanding people to rant at! So try to not let it completely ruin these occasions for you especially in light of what the very young think of it. If nothing else,turn it into something you can enjoy with your kids,if you have any,and don't dwell on what people have turned it into and focus on what would make it enjoyable for you.All the best,Brother.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Yah, I agree. This holiday is more about selfishness and greed than anything else.

Couple of points - The Christians DID rip off the Yule festival. It was celebrated at the time of the winter solstice (the pagans had a very good grasp of astronomy), and knowing the cycle of the seasons knew this was the prime indicator spring would return in a few months. Associated with this was the belief in the "Green Man", an entity that went to sleep - or died - in the fall, but would wake up (or be resurrected) and return life to the land. This belief was tailor-made for the Christians. "Hey, check this out! WE got a guy that fits the description of your Green Man!"

The birth of Christ - No one is sure exactly when Jesus was born, but there is a line in the Bible regarding the birth that "the shepherds were tending their lambs". Lambs are born in the spring, not the dead of winter.

One last point. Christians ripped off Easter too, as the OP said. That festival was known as Ostara. (The C's even stole the name.) Again, a spring festival celebrating the 'resurrection' of the land.

Bah, Humbug. And Gud Jule to all you friggin' Pagans!

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Hoser793

One last point. Christians ripped off Easter too, as the OP said. That festival was known as Ostara. (The C's even stole the name.) Again, a spring festival celebrating the 'resurrection' of the land.

Actually, evidence indicates that Easter is older than Ēostre, Easter being celebrated since the First Century (and originating in the Middle East), Ēostre being celebrated in the 7th Century (and originating in Northern Europe.)

Date wise, Easter is pegged to the Jewish Festival of Passover, not the Spring Equinox. The name, of course, is related, but the First Century Christians did not speak English, they spoke Koine Greek, in which language the name of the holiday is Páscha, which clearly has no connection to Ēostre.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join