It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Secret Origins of Lucifer?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   

In the version of the myth told by Ovid in the Metamorphoses, Phaeton bragged to his friends that his father was the sun-god. One of his friends, who was rumored to be a son of Zeus, refused to believe him and said his mother was lying. So Phaeton went to his father Helios, who swore by the river Styx to give Phaeton anything he should ask for in order to prove his divine paternity.

Phaeton wanted to drive his chariot (the sun) for a day. Though Helios tried to talk him out of it, Phaeton was adamant. When the day came, Phaeton panicked and lost control of the mean horses that drew the chariot. First it veered too high, so that the earth grew chill. Then it dipped too close, and the vegetation dried and burned. He accidentally turned most of Africa into desert; burning the skin of the Ethiopians black.

Eventually, Zeus was forced to intervene by striking the runaway chariot with a lightning bolt to stop it, and Phaëthon plunged into the river Eridanos. His sisters the Heliades grieved so much that they were turned into poplar trees that weep golden amber.

There are many parallels between Greek Mythology and current day Theology, but the story of Phaeton rings eerily close to the origins and fall of Lucifer the Morning Star.

Phaeton in several stories is believed to be the son of Helios/Apollo, who is representative of the sun which he ferries across the sky.

Phaeton is also referred to as "Son of the Morning" or "The Morning Star" in some Greek Literature.

Phaeton also meets a Fiery end as he falls from the Heavens and is subsumed in the "Starry Eridanus", a River linked to the Underworld of Hades.

It is also interesting to note that Phaeton's rampage across the world due to the runaway horses supposedly created the Sahara and that his eventual plunge into Eridanus supposedly caused a great deluge and darkened sky.

Zeus struck Phaeton down to prevent him from doing any more damage. Is this not in some respects almost exactly as God Almighty did to Lucifer?

Perhaps these stories are not so dissimilar. Perhaps the Christian Retelling only gave a better reason than impetuous youth to the cause of Lucifer's Fall in that they claimed it was due to defying God's will.

Thoughts are appreciated.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Hmmmm... Could be. One of the things that I have noticed in my spiritual studies is that everything is intertwined....

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   
ok first, look at the original language the bible was written in, or the old testament since that is where " lucifer " is mentioned. then look where the word lucifer originates, in what language i mean.....should tell all.

lucifer is a biblical error, when it was translated into latin, that is when the boo-boo happened.

as for the rest of your post, very good stuff, i have never even heard about phaeton, im interested now.

peace

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Lucifer is usually connected with Prometheus, not Phaeton.

In the Theogony, Hesiod introduces Prometheus as a lowly challenger to Zeus' omniscience and omnipotence. At Sicyon, a sacrificial meal marking the "settling of accounts" between mortals and immortals, Prometheus played a trick against Zeus (545-557). He placed two sacrificial offerings before the Olympian: a selection of bull meat hidden inside an ox's stomach (nourishment hidden inside a displeasing exterior), and the bull's bones wrapped completely in "glistening fat" (something inedible hidden inside a pleasing exterior). Zeus chose the latter, setting a precedent for future sacrifices; henceforth, humans would keep the meat for themselves and burn the bones wrapped in fat as an offering to the gods. This angered Zeus, who hid fire from humans in retribution. Prometheus at once went to Athena with a plea for admittance to Olympus, and this she granted. On his arrival, he lit a torch at the fiery chariot of the Sun which presently he broke from it a fragment of glowing charcoal, which he thrust into the pithy hollow of a giant fennel-stalk. Then, extinguishing his torch, he stole away, and gave fire to mankind. This further enraged Zeus, who sent Epimetheus, brother of Prometheus, Pandora, the first woman,[3] fashioned by Hephaestus out of clay and brought to life by the four winds, with all the goddesses of Olympus assembled to adorn her. "From her is the race of women and female kind," Hesiod writes; "of her is the deadly race and tribe of women who live amongst mortal men to their great trouble, no helpmeets in hateful poverty, but only in wealth."
Prometheus, in eternal punishment, is chained to a rock in the Caucasus, where his liver is eaten daily by an eagle[4] or vulture, only to be regenerated, due to his immortality, by night.

Or perhaps Phosphorus?

[edit on 19-11-2008 by Eleleth]

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by pureevil81

I'm well aware of the tenuous connection of Lux Ferre to various points in the bible which denote Lucifer, as well as the mis-attribution of the King of Babylon as "The Morning Star" then turning into a Lucifer comment due to poor understanding of biblical scripture and translation.

It's a testament to how far a mistake in translation can go that Lucifer and Satan are synonymous in this day and age.

Phaeton is merely one example of biblical parallels (In which the Greek stories likely came first as they are even closer to other traditional mythos in Egyptian and Hindi mythologies).

The fact that Lucifer is described in some senses as "Hovering above the Abyss" does tend to coincide with the thought that Eridanus was a river that ran between the worlds of the living and the dead, as well as the self-same river that Phaeton plummeted into.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Eleleth

I'd argue that Phaeton's story shares more in common with Lucifer's story than Prometheus'. Phosphorus does share much as well, but who is to say Phosphorus and Phaeton are not similar in origin?

Also, the Greek translation cited in some Jewish Texts for Lucifer (Venus) is Phosphorus... called Lucifer in the morning and Vesper in the evening.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by TheColdDragon

There is the theory that Lucifer and Satan are two different angels. Lucifer was the one who used the serpent as his mouth piece to temp Eve. After the rebelllion Lucifer convinced a number of angels to abandon their posts and take human form. They took human women as wives and their offspring were large bullies. The angel named Satan never took a wife and so he wasn't banished to Tartarus during the Deluge. They were banished to Tartarus because they went after strange flesh. Angels were not to marry, but they had the power to do so before the flood. The end of Lucifer's reign came when a large planet was destroyed in the solar system, which broke the law that held the waters above the expanse. Without the waters above the expanse the earth lost its comfortable temperature and became frigid in the north and south poles and scorching hot near the equator.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Lucifer was a system ruler with satan under him and the devil under them both. Lucifer was a being of light close to the physical world. Lucifer fell unto love of self and deluted his existance for self grandizment.

You can know all you want or need to know about Lucifer by Clicking Here.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Incarnated

So Lucifer was a system lord. That sounds kind of cool. I liked the SG1 series, which had Goa'uld systems lords.

Ezekiel 28:13 is interesting to me. It sounds like the Cherub was actually the earth. Various gems were his coverings and gold was his socket settings. (This makes another interesting case for speculation as to the function of crystals and liquid gold. Were these the parts that gave the earth a brain for intelligence?) An intelligent lifeform governing the workings of the earth, until he rebelled. Maybe that's why he was present in the garden of eden. Earth was his assignment and then power corrupted him.

I'm not sure about the Urantia book. The part you linked sounds interesting. However, I don't like the fact that beings of light dictated it to a man. This happened with Joseph Smith and he got a huge following. These beings of light are probably giving us half truths to form yet another religion.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by lostinspace
I'm not sure about the Urantia book. The part you linked sounds interesting. However, I don't like the fact that beings of light dictated it to a man. This happened with Joseph Smith and he got a huge following. These beings of light are probably giving us half truths to form yet another religion.

First off, I don't like "channeled" works. I can't say I blame you for your mistrust of the text. However I went to "debunk" the Urantia book. I thought I'd do this with ease because I had studied lost and hidden knowledges for near 20 years before ever picking the Urantia papers up. I was shocked to see the Urantia papers connected back to texts that were not even uncovered at the time the urantia papers were published.

You have to examine the "way" the statements were delivered. In the case of the urantia papers the man was sleeping at night. The man was unaware. Basicly he was "sleeping" and the entity spoke through him at night while he was unconscious.

Really the only other case I've come accross simularly and as well documented was "the sleeping prophet" cayce who would take a nap and then speak.

As I now understand it, the animalistic nature of the human consciouness muddies up the understandings being pulled down. That's a best case senario. Worst case: they are full of sthit. You should be ware.

However as far as the urantia book goes, if you have studied something that is within the book, and if you've come to a place of personal revelation about that thing, check it out. The Urantia papers are known as the "Book of Truth" because it is real and it is the truth.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 12:26 AM
link   
As was being discussed in the garden of eden thread, it is important to note that many of these stories have probably been muddied and convoluted over time. There are many stories and relations as to what happened long ago...

and as for the Nephilim, depending on your translation and understanding, the children begotten by the mortals by the Elohim who took human wives could either be terrible creatures or heroes of legend.

I think the truth of that matter is somewhere in between; some were and some weren't. This links up with some of my own personal beliefs, so perhaps I am too biased on the topic to conduct myself without preference on the subject.

However, the Lucifer/Satan/Devil connection really needs to be addressed and assessed. Lucifer may have been a mistranslation (But the identity of Lucifer may be Samael in religious methodology whereas character of a person goes), Satan is a bastardization of Shai'Tahn which was a pre-islamic Arabic deity. The horned figure often depicted as the devil )The cloven hoofed, goat headed creature) was stolen from the Celtic religions, and Devil in and of itself isn't a direct correlation to an entity.

I by no means argue that an entity does not exist, but perhaps that the story itself is lost in the legends and tellings of numerous cultures, each of which may have a small pittance of the whole collective truth.

It must also be noted that it is possible that some entities have been defined as evil not via evil acts, but by acts viewed by mankind as evil and thus superimposing human morality onto entities (Which may have happened, but is worth discussing.)

In my view, the Shadow of Lucifer and his deeds seem to reflect many earlier figures in various mythologies and religions. Phaeton alone being one.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheColdDragon

In the version of the myth told by Ovid in the Metamorphoses, Phaeton bragged to his friends that his father was the sun-god. One of his friends, who was rumored to be a son of Zeus, refused to believe him and said his mother was lying. So Phaeton went to his father Helios, who swore by the river Styx to give Phaeton anything he should ask for in order to prove his divine paternity.

Phaeton wanted to drive his chariot (the sun) for a day. Though Helios tried to talk him out of it, Phaeton was adamant. When the day came, Phaeton panicked and lost control of the mean horses that drew the chariot. First it veered too high, so that the earth grew chill. Then it dipped too close, and the vegetation dried and burned. He accidentally turned most of Africa into desert; burning the skin of the Ethiopians black.

Eventually, Zeus was forced to intervene by striking the runaway chariot with a lightning bolt to stop it, and Phaëthon plunged into the river Eridanos. His sisters the Heliades grieved so much that they were turned into poplar trees that weep golden amber.

There are many parallels between Greek Mythology and current day Theology, but the story of Phaeton rings eerily close to the origins and fall of Lucifer the Morning Star.

Phaeton in several stories is believed to be the son of Helios/Apollo, who is representative of the sun which he ferries across the sky.

Phaeton is also referred to as "Son of the Morning" or "The Morning Star" in some Greek Literature.

Phaeton also meets a Fiery end as he falls from the Heavens and is subsumed in the "Starry Eridanus", a River linked to the Underworld of Hades.

It is also interesting to note that Phaeton's rampage across the world due to the runaway horses supposedly created the Sahara and that his eventual plunge into Eridanus supposedly caused a great deluge and darkened sky.

Zeus struck Phaeton down to prevent him from doing any more damage. Is this not in some respects almost exactly as God Almighty did to Lucifer?

Perhaps these stories are not so dissimilar. Perhaps the Christian Retelling only gave a better reason than impetuous youth to the cause of Lucifer's Fall in that they claimed it was due to defying God's will.

Thoughts are appreciated.

Lucifer is a god of the Roman pantheon. Evolved from the Greek Phosphorus. In the bible Jesus calls himself Vera Lucifer or the Clear Morningstar.

new topics

top topics

join