It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Science Behind The 10 Plagues Of Egypt

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Also, just found out... Santorini may be the cause of Atlantis disappearing! Reading in Nat. Geo about how around Santorini were a ring of islands that disappeared when it blew. Research and diving has found all kinds of stuff and may lead to the destination and destruction of Atlantis! Man, Santorini blowing its top could have caused two of the greatest mysteries in Human History!

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by GamerGal
Also, just found out... Santorini may be the cause of Atlantis disappearing! Reading in Nat. Geo about how around Santorini were a ring of islands that disappeared when it blew. Research and diving has found all kinds of stuff and may lead to the destination and destruction of Atlantis! Man, Santorini blowing its top could have caused two of the greatest mysteries in Human History!

You know, the island of Atlantis in the Atlantic Ocean probably didn't exist. The tale may have its origin in the disapearance of a pretty advanced Minoan civilization around the time when Santorini exploded. The content of this link suggests that it was so.
www.geology.sdsu.edu...

If I had to spent a year in antiquity, I would definitely chose to live among Minoans on Thera, because they were advanced exactly to my liking.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Wow, cute tops, lol. But yeah, like Nat. Geo says, it may be what wiped Atlantis off the face of the Earth. They may not have called themselves Atlantis, but do you think Aliens call themselves Aliens, or Bigfoot calls itself Bigfoot? It's just a name given for some thing. But it would be cool if science could link Snatorini to Atlantis and the Plagues even more! And maybe other things, it probably blew its top off before it could have caused more damage.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 04:37 AM
link   

But it would be cool if science could link Snatorini to Atlantis and the Plagues even more! And maybe other things, it probably blew its top off before it could have caused more damage.

The Minoan women wore topless dresses for a reason and the reason was a hard-to-overlook warning that Santorini would be one day topless too. I don't think that the science would ever notice this nor anything else along these lines.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I saw something almost just like this on the science channel, very interesting stuff and good post. I think the main difference is that they didn't talk about algie making the water red but rather fish blood. I saw a video of a river here in the US that was blood red, it does happen.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 11:05 AM
link   
This is actually beautifully recapped in a show called "exodus decoded" which, coincedentally, i think is reshowing tonight on History channel (GameGirl you don't work for them do you....
). It's actually a really good documentary where they try to physically explain the plagues and show the exodus from egypt as occuring at a different time and place than currently accepted. They make some pretty good arguments.

Also, sorry if someone already mentioned it, i skimmed the thread.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 02:56 AM
link   
reply to post by GamerGal

constant talk of 'Jews' ...we're talking all of Israel are we not. Jewish people are merely the tribe of Judah...what of Joseph, Benjamin, Daniel, Ruben....
semantics or misinformed string

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   

I feel sorry for you because you insist that science explain away the spiritual and the supernatural. There is so much more to this universe than our scientific minds could ever conjure. I do think the scientific explanations are interesting and possibly even true. But even then, I am amazed that a greater power orchestrated His creation to bring about a robust displayof Hs power at the exact time He wanted it to happen. Poor Pharoah and his durn pride....

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 08:12 AM
link   

just curious - why was there light in Goshen but not in the rest of egypt? any explanation ?

Also curious is the fact that Israelite people were not affected by other plagues, it seems that the israelite people were never harmed, nor were hteir livestock.

Possibly coincidence ?

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by WisdomInChains

I posted this in the science section hoping to avoid the "Nuh uh God did it!" crowd. I just thought that it was interesting that every thing can be explained by one incident, a volcano exploding. .

Because people who believe in god don't read science forums? Anyway i think thats pretty ignorant way to dismiss people. I accepted the possibility that it was all coinencidence why can't you accept the possibility that it wasn't? Instead you write people off as uneducated bible thumping morons.

[edit on 20-11-2008 by WisdomInChains]

[edit on 24-8-2009 by born2learn]

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   

I posted this in the science section hoping to avoid the "Nuh uh God did it!" crowd.

Because people who believe in god don't read science forums? Anyway i think thats pretty ignorant way to dismiss people. I accepted the possibility that it was all coinencidence why can't you accept the possibility that it wasn't? Instead you write people off as uneducated bible thumping morons.

[edit on 20-11-2008 by WisdomInChains]

It is true to say that we must accept all possibilities until they can be proved false. We can not disprove the theory that the plagues were a product of god's wrath, we can not prove that they were a result of a volcanic eruption, we can not prove that the plagues even happened at all. What we can do (what a scientific investigation should do) is look at the evidence.
Let us assume for a moment that the plagues happened in the way they are described in Exodus.
There certainly appears a large body of evidence to suggest the possibility of a naturally occuring chain of events that closely fits the model. Many of the phenomona occur today and all have a scientific explanation. No one is saying that this means it definately happened, what is being discussed here is how well the theory fits.

It is not that anyone is writing you off, any theory involving god can produce no tangible data to support it, instead it requires faith and faith is absolute, you believe or you don't. For this reason it is entirely counter-productive to introduce it into any scientific discussion. One of the greatest handicaps of faith in god is the need to support a pre-meditated hypothesis.
Finally, it is not that 'bible thumpers' are uneducated, perhaps more worrying is their misuse of recognised science to 'prove' god (I refer to stander's quite frankly remarkable take on what constitutes a mathematical proof!). A little bit of knowledge....

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Why are there absolutely NO Egyptian accounts of these tremendous 'plagues' but only the one Jewish text?

I will tell you why, because it's a fabrication. There were no plagues. If the Nile turned red, if plagues of locusts came, if all firstborns miraculously died, there would have been a tremendous amount of documentation, as the Egyptians around this time were extremely meticulous in maintaining records of all things seasonal and affecting of the yearly crops.

These plagues are a convenient Jewish fable sketching the nature of their relationship with 'God'. It is not real.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Would someone please answer this question; If the plagues were caused by a natural disaster or occurence and not by God, then why weren't the Hebrew people affected by them? If they were, why then did the Egyptians allow their labor force to leave?

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   
the point about the 10 plagues is missed by most people,so i will answer all your questions.the egyptians were the first civilisation to stay in one place which is totally against the way the earth works.they robbed the earth of its resources and enslaved humans.
the 10 plagues were a demonstration of what happens when mankind works against nature.
mankind has continued on that path to the present day and now we are facing the same outcome,only this time it is global so the outcome will effect all humans on earth and be more devastating.this will make us all equal.
only then will we all be able to accept the truth or carry on denying it because it will be obvious to all mankind.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   
ok ima help this guy out since all these so called GOD fallowers have such narrow minds

lets say your so called GOD was an actual alien witch can be proven if you read the bible correctly (ezekial is a good chapter). Now if we can detect vocanic eruptions today why cant aliens detect them at that time when they can travel planted to planet as is???? Their for and angel so you call it and an alien as i would call i tcame down and told moses what would happen... right after the 10 plaigues its said that the water seperated to due to the water being drawn out of that lake witch made sandbars visible so that they can walk on... and after they made it across water of waves came back in and washed away the sandbars and filled in the lake again... then they were stuck walking the seasert for 40 days and 40 nights with little food... well if you think about it this is when the sabbath day came into play... they had a machine in the bible that gave the algie to eat witch astronaughts eat today why would they have that??? and for the sabath day to come into play they had to clean the machine once a week their for every saturday they did not eat... please do not make me further falify ur so called god...

just look at all religions same stories different beliefs... why so simalar yes so far apart and never met eachother????????

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join