It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tool bag lost in space!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Tool bag lost in space!

uk.news.yahoo.com

An astronaut was left helplessly watching her tool bag and everything inside it float away after accidentally dropping it in space
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Guess this shows how difficult things can be up there. I dont understand the quote that it might affect the next 3 missions though, surely they can send up another tool kit with the next mission??

And what made the grease gun explode and cover the camera with gunk? Surely these things are tested thoroughly first?

uk.news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 09:14 AM
link   
The space program. In this body we have the smartest of humanity. We give them loads of money to solve the mysteries of the cosmos. And these guys can not come up with a space tool bag with all the tools tethered to the bag with the bag tethered to the station...

No instead these guys seem to be screwing around in space.

I have always been "pro space program" this event brings me to see the arguments against it and makes me consider the merits of shutting down the space program.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 09:40 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Heh...

Tool Bag Lost In Space?

There for a second I thought we had sent up some sort of celebrity in space and they lost their way around the space station.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Yes,the space program is a massive waste of money,i haven't heard of any scientific"breakthroughs" since it's conception,it needs to stop,i agree with the above poster,they are just screwing around, at an unbelievably high price!

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 10:05 AM
link   
NASA should face it,we are not getting off this rock, bring all the money and scientists back and lets get fixing it!

[edit on 19-11-2008 by all2human]

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by all2human
NASA should face it,we are not getting off this rock, bring all the money and scientists back and lets get fixing it!

[edit on 19-11-2008 by all2human]

Now there is an evolutionary impulse... NOT!

LOL.. yer kidding me right? You sound like the people who said Columbus was nuts.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 10:17 AM
link   
This must be good news for NASA. Whenever someone sees critters and UFOs in footage from the ISS, NASA can just claim that the objects are items from that darned tool box.

A hammer here, a screwdriver there...

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Dont we have worse problems on EARTH that needs tending to ?
Why oh why are we so concerned with whats in space than what is on earth that needs to be fixed,changed,studied ?

I just dont get it ...

As far as the tool pouch ...why didnt they bring extra tools just in case ..surely you would think these people would have made a plan b ....
I am not even the smartest cookie in the jar and yet I ALWAYS have a plan A ..Plan B and sometimes even a plan C ....for everything ............just in case.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

You have no idea what you're talking about. At all.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by expatwhite
surely they can send up another tool kit with the next mission??

It's not that easy. Every ounce is accounted for. If they have to send up another bag, then something else will have to be given the boot off the mission. Perhaps an experiment or water or food. It's not like packing the family car for vacation. It's all very weighted and it all costs a ton to send up.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by expatwhite
surely they can send up another tool kit with the next mission??

It's not that easy. Every ounce is accounted for. If they have to send up another bag, then something else will have to be given the boot off the mission. Perhaps an experiment or water or food. It's not like packing the family car for vacation. It's all very weighted and it all costs a ton to send up.

FF, we don't agree on much politically, but on this you are 100% correct.

Having worked in Aviation, as you mentioned, every ounce for every mission is figured out a good 3-6 months before the launch. So this does throw a "monkey wrench" into the works...

no pun intended :-)

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Simplynoone
Dont we have worse problems on EARTH that needs tending to ?
Why oh why are we so concerned with whats in space than what is on earth that needs to be fixed,changed,studied ?

I just dont get it ...

It's real simple. You have to have feet on the ground, but you also have to have arms to reach.

Humanity lives sphericaly, moving out in all directions at the same time. It's part of what gives life the ability to move forward.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Look to NASA explaining away anomalous objects in space as 'tools from that lost bag'

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Did the check the lost and found dept?

That's usually where my stuff ends up.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 01:34 PM
link   
This adds to the tons of space debris floating around our earth.

The bag could easily have gone into a telecommunications satalite and knocked it off course, sending it tumbling towars earth,

was it NASA? they seem to be the only ones, who seem to really screw things up.

They have spent millions developing a pen that can be used in all conditions, underwater, antigravity, in a vacum.. Russia uses a Pencil.

I think the plug should be pulled on NASA, it is obvious that the goverment agency has no Thoughts other than advancing the U.S defence sytems.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Said toolbag will probably end up landing on a planet full of natives where it will be duly worshipped and revered by the holy toolbag cult as a sacred object.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   
To stop space exploration because astronaut lost tools? A little over-kill , don't you think? Our society has to fix things down here,yes. Urgently. But to ignore also-very-important huge up there is not wise. And for someone who says space program did not achieve its goals: What about disposable diapers? Choice of scores of new generations!

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Hmm, there's nothing more annoying to an engineer than losing tools... stuff happens, though.

Interesting to think of the orbital area, and all the 'junk' floating around up there, as a kind of time-capsule. I'd imagine that stuff is pretty perfectly preserved from oxidation, etc. Be interesting to see artifacts 'recovered' hundreds of years from now.

As for the speculation of it knocking a satellite out of orbit or something, yes, all the floating space junk is tracked as it can be a hazard, but realize that space is big. Area of a sphere increase proportionally to the square of the radius, so as stuff gets higher in orbit, the amount of room for objects to intersect within increases hugely. That toolbag is really just a flyspeck, if that.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join