It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comming to your state soon- Arizona to meet budget shortfalls by issuing millions of traffic tickets

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   
My issue with these cameras is that many of them photograph the front of the car to show who was driving it. So when you show up to dispute your ticket (very stupid, don't respond to any mail because the municipality must show proof of service and responding is proof) they can compare the photo to the person who owns the vehicle.

Very often, minors are riding in the front seat of the car and are captured in the photos. Innocent passengers who do not have control of the vehicle are also photographed. This is an enormous invasion of privacy.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I am tired of the crybabies who think that the law only applies to the other guy. Come on people what are you teaching your children when you show them that it is OK to break the law because nobody is there to catch you? Speeding is a crime that kills thousands of people a year.

HOORAY FOR SPEED ENFORCEMENT CAMERAS!!!! Maybe some of these idiots will finally learn respect for the law. Let the police officers time be freed to catch lawbreakers that the camera cannot.

People who love to speed: BOO HOO CRY ME A RIVER!!

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by In nothing we trust

Have one bad day, blow through 12 cameras in one morning commute and you could rack up thousands of dollars of fines to the state, lose your license and your means to provide for your family, if it involves commuting to and from work everyday.

[edit on 19-11-2008 by In nothing we trust]

Driving is not a right. It is a privilege.

That is not having a bad day. THAT IS A ONE MAN CRIME SPREE!!! Where is your head at? You are certainly NOT thinking about public safety. Imagine how many lives will be saved by not having people driving at 100 plus miles per hour on Arizona highways. It makes me smile just thinking about it.

DRIVE THROUGH 12 SPEED CAMERAS WITHOUT SLOWING DOWN AND YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR LICENSE FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE. Quit being selfish and thinking only of yourself. If you love your family, then slow down.

This is a voluntary tax. Much better than income tax. Only lawbreakers are going to be inconvenienced. And they should be.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   
They are called Scameras.

they do shorten yellow lights. Some even illegally to short.
And part of the money goes to the company that puts them in and handles them. Instead of all to the government.

AZ is going to make a killing on this. You develope quite a lead foot there with the flat straight roads. Took me a few weeks to slow down when I came back home.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by midnightbrigade
Or how about just not speeding?

Sure, its another form of big brother, but in principal, people like breaking the law, cause they are sure there aren't enough cops to catch them all. Kind of the mindset that gets us into these messes.

You know.. maybe I'd be in support of cameras watching my every move... except my neighbor's car got broken into the other night. Guess what happened? Nothing. the cops told her to make a report over the phone and that's that.

But they can afford to put up cameras to catch the speeders. RIGHT.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
I am tired of the crybabies who think that the law only applies to the other guy. Come on people what are you teaching your children when you show them that it is OK to break the law because nobody is there to catch you? Speeding is a crime that kills thousands of people a year.

HOORAY FOR SPEED ENFORCEMENT CAMERAS!!!! Maybe some of these idiots will finally learn respect for the law. Let the police officers time be freed to catch lawbreakers that the camera cannot.

People who love to speed: BOO HOO CRY ME A RIVER!!

Speeding doesn't hurt or kill people. Bad drivers kill people. I've never witnessed a wreck caused by someone speeding. I speed all the time. Why do I never cause problems, wrecks, or get tickets? Because I'm a good driver.

Idiots who are bad at driving cause wrecks. Everytime I've seen a wreck happen (4 that I can remember, 2 which I was in the car for), it was caused by plain stupidity.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   
That is the stupidest thing I have ever read. IF you were a good driver, you would not be speeding.

[edit on 11-19-2008 by groingrinder]

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

I am tired of the crybabies who think that the law only applies to the other guy.

Do you have a Kleenex tissue for me?

I agree. The cameras aren't a problem for me. If I get busted I will pay the ticket. Here it doesn't affect your driving record cause the camera catches the back of the car and they would have to prove you are the driver. My problem with the cameras is that these cities and states can't find local businesses to install and run the cameras. Like I said in a previous post, the ones here in my part of Texas are manage by a German company. The state loses out on that part of the money. I say keep the money locally. If an American business ran the cameras, we could at least get taxes out of them in addition to the fines collected.

My river is drying up.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   

That is the stupidest thing I have ever read. IF you were a good driver, you would not be speeding.

So are all the people who drive on the Autobahn in Germany a bad driver? Is Jeff Gordon a bad driver he speeds. Speeding doesnt make you a bad driver. Being a bad driver makes you a bad driver. I have seen just as many accidents caused by people going well below the speed limit on the interstate than speeders going 90 miles an hour. In fact generally when you speed you pay more attention to your driving than cruising and day dreaming or talking on a cell phone.

[edit on 19-11-2008 by mybigunit]

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Driving is not a right. It is a privilege.

That is not having a bad day. THAT IS A ONE MAN CRIME SPREE!!! Where is your head at? You are certainly NOT thinking about public safety. Imagine how many lives will be saved by not having people driving at 100 plus miles per hour on Arizona highways. It makes me smile just thinking about it.

DRIVE THROUGH 12 SPEED CAMERAS WITHOUT SLOWING DOWN AND YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR LICENSE FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE. Quit being selfish and thinking only of yourself. If you love your family, then slow down.

This is a voluntary tax. Much better than income tax. Only lawbreakers are going to be inconvenienced. And they should be.

Yup it is a privilege but driving also runs this economy. You suspend enough licenses for this crap and keep people from driving because of it watch how it affects the overall economy. Speeding doesnt hurt people incompetence does.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by mybigunit
Some cities are even shortening the yellow light cycle to increase revenues.

Not only that but they are changing the speed limits just before the cameras.

Now instead of one constant speed, you are required to slow down in time to avoid the cameras and speed up to keep pace with the flow of traffic after the cameras.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Have one bad day, blow through 12 cameras in one morning commute and you could rack up thousands of dollars of fines to the state, lose your license and your means to provide for your family, if it involves commuting to and from work everyday.

That is not having a bad day. THAT IS A ONE MAN CRIME SPREE!!!

So someone who drives around the city at 76mph should go to jail. Thank you for your opinion.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by tgidkp

Why didn't you just put it on your defaulted credit card?

On Topic: Considering Arizona's extremely high vehicle theft rates, I can easily see this costing the state more in court costs from people who's cars are stolen and then, 3 weeks later, get a bill in the mail for several grand because the theif took I-10 from Phoenix to Tucson and then 19 to Nogo doing 100 the whole way. I'd assume those folks won't take those tickets and will fight them in court, most likely winning judgement and compensation for their time and legal fees.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Now instead of one constant speed, you are required to slow down in time to avoid the cameras and speed up to keep pace with the flow of traffic after the cameras.

Don't know if you've ever driven in the Valley before, but you sound like you have with your "flow of traffic" comment. I have actually been pulled over and given a warning on the 10 by Ahwatukee when I was driving exactly the speed limit because the "flow of traffic" was about 10 MPH over the posted limit and the trooper said the state has a provision in which vehicles must travel with the speed of the majority of cars on the road. I was in the far right lane, btw. It will definitely be interesting to see how they either handle this situation or break the long time Arizona drivers of this conditioned sliding speed limit.

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by bdswetty

They contract with companies, and the companies front the cameras. And they get a nice cut. I think 50% of the speeding tickets, Which is why the speeding tickets are so high. Everyone makes out in this deal. the municipalities don't have to do the work, it slows people down, and someone else handles the hardware.

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

Within the city I can see that

But what are they going to do?

Not run these all the way up the 17 I hope?

You can't control speed exactly particularly going down from Flag and drive safely, I always average 85 in traffic and, it's about the right speed for comfort and flow of traffic...

It would be exceptionally hard to keep your speed exact and no dip above going downhill, you have to watch those roads, a curve every mile or so and gravity is working on your car,

If your watching the speedometer over a few miles an hr, people are going to Die. Your eyes Have to be on the road not your dash board on that stretch of road...

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I believe one of two things will happen.

First, I suspect that when the economy gets really, really bad, and the ticket fines go up to over $500, people will soon start taking out the cameras, or at least vandalizing them. You know, it's the whole symbol of government intrusion and Big Brother. And when one person does it and is lionized for it, many more people will follow suit.

How fitting, too, since law enforcement is no longer considered a deterrant to most property crimes in Arizona. The next "property" damaged may just be owned by the camera company, and ironically, there won't be any cops around because they won't be patrolling those areas because they don't have to write tickets in that area. My guess is that they will be taken out by rifles, out of the camera's field of view. Or maybe in full view of the camera.

Second, and more likely, is that people will simply stop paying the tickets. There are websites which educate people to not acknowledge the ticket by mail, don't sign on a to the city's website and enter the ticket number, don't call the courts. If you don't acknowledge it, the city must send a process server to your door to verify delivery of the documents, which is difficult if you're living in your car. It's also pricey, about $75 per attempt. And when it becomes more widely known that if you don't respond to the citation, you don't have to pay it (and there's no points on your license or warrant), more and more people will just ignore them.

The city will then discover that having to serve people after they get a ticket is not as profitable as the old system of officers actually making traffic stops.

Third, there may just be a revolt when most Arizonans realize that cars coming across the border don't receive tickets.

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by mybigunit

So are all the people who drive on the Autobahn in Germany a bad driver? Is Jeff Gordon a bad driver he speeds. Speeding doesnt make you a bad driver. Being a bad driver makes you a bad driver. I have seen just as many accidents caused by people going well below the speed limit on the interstate than speeders going 90 miles an hour. In fact generally when you speed you pay more attention to your driving than cruising and day dreaming or talking on a cell phone.

[edit on 19-11-2008 by mybigunit]

Actually the Autobahns do have these cameras on them to catch speeders, I was a victim of this. The Autobahns have a speed limit, they are just unusually high, but they are there. They take a pic of the driver and the liscense plate so you can't say that your friend was driving.

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Arizona has been meeting it's budget for a long time by writing speeding tickets; especially if you're from out of state. They know you won't be coming back through to go to court so you just have to pay it.

Arizona highway patrol is the main reason I go around the state of Arizona rather than drive through it. Going to California from Oklahoma is a pretty straight shot on I-40 if you're willing to go through Arizona and I no longer am.

I saw a truck driver get pulled over after about 5 miles of a cop following behind him. I was driving neck to neck with the trucker and had my cruise control set to 1 mile below the posted speed limit. I pulled over when he got pulled over and gave the trucker my information after he got his ticket to let him know I'd make the trip back to testify on his behalf but he said his company paid the tickets so he didn't care.

They have no industry there so writing tickets (even bogus ones) is the only revenue gathering they can count on.

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Oh brother!!! OK privacy 101.

PUBLIC PLACES ARE NOT PRIVATE!!!!

That means the open highway, downtown main street, residential street.

So if you are out there driving around on the PUBLIC road system, and your driving like a blooming idiot, you DESERVE to get busted and fined becasue you are endangering not only me, but everyone else on the PUBLIC roadways, including those minor kids sitting in the front seat of this car, that car, and perhaps YOUR car too.

Grow up and take responsibility for YOUR actions!!!

Capisch!!!!

100 percent for PUBLIC camera systems.

Cheers!!!!

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join