It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas grand Jury indicts Cheney, Gonzales

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Texas grand Jury indicts Cheney, Gonzales

politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com

A grand jury in south Texas indicted Vice President Dick Cheney and former Attorney General Alberto Gonzales on separate charges related to alleged prisoner abuse in federal detention centers, Willacy County District Attorney Juan Angel Guerra told CNN Tuesday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Whoa, apparently these guys might not be "above the law" as they typically act.

I wonder what else is going to be coming down the tubes in the next few years? There have already been officials that have notified the media that they are willing to talk to them on Jan 21st, the day after Bush is out of power...

I wonder what happens when Bush and Cheney can't hid behind "executive privilege" or chant "national security" to keep the courts from asking questions...

politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 10:35 PM
link   
It will be interesting to see what comes of this. One can only hope...

For some reason, I have my doubts that anything will come of this. However, if this is a sign of things to come, it may improve the odds that the next administration will look into some of this stuff.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I'm confused Cheney's spokepeople say he not received an indictment

so I'm not sure if this is shenanagins or applesauce

I need a copy

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by invisiblewoman

Maybe it's been issued but not yet received? I hope it's in the mail.

A lot of people would gain confinence in the justice system if Cheney finally went down for something.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Would Bush be able to pardon them if this was the case?

Or, does the President have to wait until someone has been convicted? I'm not sure about the law, but if a verdict has to be reached first Obama would likely be President, and I don't see him extending them an olive branch.

Edit: S&F! Interesting development if it turns out to be true...

[edit on 18-11-2008 by Avenginggecko]

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 11:03 PM
link   
My prediction : it will get thrown out as soon as it reaches a federal judge in Texas

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 11:07 PM
link   
From the article:

The Associated Press reported that the indictment stems from Cheney's investment in the Vanguard Group — an investment management company that reportedly has interests in the prison companies in charge of the detention centers. It also charges Gonzales halted an investigation into abuse at the detention centers while he was attorney general.

Vanguard? Hmmm, that name rings a bell....let me check something.

Ah yes! That's where I know that name. MY 401K! This name is so fresh in my mind because this is the open enrollment month, and the month to make changes to employee benefits. So, I also use this month to review all of my options, retirement, insurance policies, and benefits.

Vanguard is just an investment vehicle, or mutual fund umbrella.

So, I guess I'll just sit and wait for my idictment. I wonder where I fall on that 10+million person list? Hmmm, they've already gotten to 'C'heney and 'G'onsales, so I should be coming up soon. (I'd assume 'L' for my last name).

Boy, this is gonna be one humongous lawsuit! I hope they have a court house large enough for us all. This is going to be fun.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by invisiblewoman
I'm confused Cheney's spokepeople say he not received an indictment

so I'm not sure if this is shenanagins or applesauce

I need a copy

lol...
"I have no recollection of that indictment your honor."
"Yes my staff received my indictment letter..."
"I have no memory of being indicted."

Yeah... I can see where this is heading...

[edit on 18-11-2008 by johnsky]

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Call me ye of little faith but our country is already bought and paid for. Far too gone for their to be Justice against some of the biggest criminals in world history.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 11:34 PM
link   
You people need to seriously read the article. This lawsuit names Cheney, due to his investing in a MUTUAL FUND COMPANY!!!!

Anyone one here have a Mutual Fund? A 401K? Or, the like? If so, you'd better check your papers for VANGUARD, because there's more than a 50 percent chance that Vanguard is named as an option in your company's retirement fund.

So, basically, any ONE OF US could be named in this lawsuit.

[edit on 18-11-2008 by SourGrapes]

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by SourGrapes
So, basically, any ONE OF US could be named in this lawsuit.

I think the distinction you're failing to make is that not "any one of us" was able to shape policy that would guarantee Vanguard profitable returns. Being that Cheney was a policy shaper, and Gonzales halted an investigation into abuse (which could have cost the prison companies greatly in damages), their actions could be considered akin to insider trading.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 12:07 AM
link   
already a thread on this

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 12:19 AM
link   
This topic is currently under discussion here:

Breaking News: Vice President Dick Cheney Indicted

Please add your comments to the existing thread.

Thread closed.

join