It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Nominates 1st African-American Attorney General--Does This Anger People?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I hate bringing up a racial topic here, but here I go...

...President-Elect Barack Obama plans to nominate Eric Holder to the position of Attorney General. Holder is African-American. Reports indicate he is to be confirmed to this post.

President-elect Obama has decided to tap Eric Holder as his attorney general, putting the veteran Washington lawyer in place to become the first African-American to head the Justice Department, according to two legal sources close to the presidential transition.
Source

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Given the already-present racial angst and tension by some white supremacist groups, does this only further fuel contention? Is this a slap in their faces? Does this leave others unsettled?

I'm entirely indifferent, I could care less. But others do care.

Anybody care to share...?

[edit on 18-11-2008 by MOFreemason]

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I'm with you ~ I could care less.
I don't see why this would upset anyone. The man has been working this stuff for over 30 years. He's already held the office of Deputy Attorney General, and seems qualified for the job. But then again, that probably doesn't matter to the haters.

By the way, I'm not Pro - Obama. I just pick my battles, and they are not based on color.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by TeeJay

Thank you for sharing your insight. Much apprecited.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I could care less. Big deal I can care less what skin color anybody is. I say he is definitely cut out for the job as stated earlier that he was the deputy attorney general. The one thing that does get me though is that he held this position under Clinton, it seems that Obama is picking out all the people from the Clinton Administration and with every announcement it seems like more of the same that is my biggest gripe.

So no I don't care, black smlack who cares as long as Obama feels he is the best for the job and not picking him for the wrong reasons.

As you stated earlier though I think some people will look at this as a smack in the face, but oh well they will just have to live with it.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I believe he was part of the Clinton administration as Deputy Attorney General and he was behind the Clinton famous pardons and one in particular fugitive financier Marc Rich.

[edit on 18-11-2008 by marg6043]

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Lets just wait and see how he does.

Condy Rice, Colin Powell and several Supremes (SCOTUS) members have acquitted themselves well as have other city mayors, congressmen et al.

I see now reason why Mr. Holder shouldn't do as well....

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Personally I dont care if the if he is red green black blue with spots . If he is qualified for the job and can do it with out any being a racist more power to him.

We as a human race need to leave the color issue behind us .

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 07:20 PM
link   
The only problem I see arising is that he will not be viewed as "legitimately" being the "first" black attorney general since it took a black president to make it happen.

There will always be tht astrik next to his name.

The first legitimate black attorney general will the one appointed by a white president.

I think President Obama is taking something away from the black race here in the U.S. In essence he is doing a disfavor.

jmho take it or leave it.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by MOFreemason
I hate bringing up a racial topic here, but here I go...

Then Ill take you at your word and not read the rest of your post.
Seeings how you hate it so much.

Peace

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   
America has to stop thinking in black & white, otherwise you're creating your own downfall. Obama is your president. Respect and honor the next 4 years.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by HIFIGUY

I hate creating a thread about race because there are some people can not handle speaking about race appropriately.

Having said this, we can't avoid the topic.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Benarius

I am sure it is not so easy when the first thing you see from the MSM is headlines stating "first black _____" (fill in the blank)

America is not allowed to stop thinking in terms of black & white

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   
America is not allowed to think at all, so it seems.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Why would nominating a black Attorney General anger people? He seems qualified? Of course any attorney with any type of tenure could be qualified for this position. Janet Reno was once Attorney General...nobody could be that bad???

The only thing I am worried about it that he was involved in Clinton's pardon of Marc Rich.

This guy was the #2 guy in Clinton's Justice Department....what kind of Change is that?

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by RRconservative

Exactly my point, while here in this thread the "racial issue" is been manipulated, big story here about Eric holder may have some skeletons in his closet linked to the controversial pardons under the Clinton Administration.

Beside he may be the "first black Attorney General" but he was the deputy Attorney General under Clinton so he is been already around the duties of the office after all.

Now back to the controversial pardons and Marc Rich.

You are right RRconservative this guy worries also.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Eric Holder has been on the national stage for quite awhile and quite frankly, I think he deserves the top spot in the justice department. God knows the man has earned his shot at it.

Has he made some screw ups along the way? Yes he has. That's a part of being human though, we all have.

As long as he doesn't sign off on pardoning Bush, I say let him take his turn at bat.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 09:01 PM
link   
You know I hear yah... don't care, not race related... but for a second I'd rather take another position.

I do care...

Do you want to know why?

My reason for caring goes something like this...

My problem is a fear... not fear of black people, .. not fear of white people... but fear of people in general, ... people that take situations like this to act, .. people who act upon racism or bigotry. People who act in extremes because otherwise they would cease to feel like they acted at all.

Why worry about black or white.. is it because it's not familiar?
It doesn't even really matter what the circumstances are, peoples main drive IS NOT Survival, it is familiarity .. people will kill themselves rather than face the unknown.

What I would like to purpose is that we actually judge things according to the fruit those things produce, or the effects that peoples actions have regardless of their supposed 'intended' outcomes.

In our recent history; an example of what I mean would go as follows...

Elected Bush -> Bush Messes Up -> Bush Messes Up -> Bush Messes Up -> Relected -> .....

instead bring on the ol' COMBO Breakers... and when someone continuously messes up we do something about it, and try something else.

I loathe politics, it just seems like the wrong people always get elected miraculously, as if there was some other control in place that we can't see... So I'm not really for or against anyone, that is until they start severely screwing things up.

I don't know much about Eric Holder therefore I cannot really comment on him, since I don't know him.
But I'll wait to see how he handles things *if* his nomination leads to the position and according to the situation I'll determine whether or not I should be mad about it....

[edit on 11/18/2008 by PuRe EnErGy]

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Why should it matter? Do You think people actually care about this crap. I can understand if He had nothing but black people but it sure seems like He is putting different people in different positions. Hey He already has a Jewish guy in there already so does that make You made. I could care less whom He picks but I have the feeling that the people He picks will be the most sleazy people in the country just like every other president has done. Once again I feel the angry shaft of the government pressing against the back side of my pants. So Oh well better bend over because it doesn't matter what color the giver is because in the end i'll be receiving.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Can we expect one of these types of posts every time Obama nominates an African American for a position on his cabinet?

Who the hell cares what color he/she is??? The only question we need to answer is - are they qualified?

top topics

join