It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brain transplant

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 11:51 AM
link   
just been thinkin about it. Could it be possible to every transfer a healthy brain to a host which have brain damage?. I started to think that it would be to complex to "wire" all the neurons and may reslut in causing other problems.
Also would the new host still have memories,personality,etc from the other person??

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Interesting idea, but I don't think we posses the technology to accomplish it right now

-psd_1

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I've thought about this too, never done any research on it though.

I googled, just to get some quick info...
some interesting links :

here is the google search page results :
www.google.com...

There is a movie about this, possibly was on Lifetime, can't think of the name of it....

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Can't be done. Deforest Kelly died a couple of years ago. He was the only one that I know of that did it.

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Can't be done. Deforest Kelly died a couple of years ago. He was the only one that I know of that did it.

thanx intrepid, this is such an fascinating subject to study. I feel a research project should be conducted.

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 12:05 PM
link   

he died of other causes, not a brain transplant.

www.nexus1.net...

or are you saying, he did a movie about it ?

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 12:07 PM
link   
A friend told me it was possible, but i did understand how it could be with the high risk involve and the fact mores problems will be caused then fixed.

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 12:11 PM
link   
"he died of other causes, not a brain transplant.

www.nexus1.net...

or are you saying, he did a movie about it ?"

Star Trek episode, "Spocks Brain."
Sorry, I"ve been working nights. Just got up. I'll TRY to get this out of my system.

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 12:23 PM
link   

We have grown accustomed to the idea of human organ transplantation. Transplants of solid organs such as hearts, kidneys, and livers, as well as bone marrow, have become the life-saving treatments of choice for some diseases. Investigators are even looking at ways to successfully transplant organs from animals such as pigs into humans. But what about transplanting a human brain?
Although transplanting an entire human brain seems far-fetched, transplanting individual cell populations is not. In fact, the transfer of fetal donor neural grafts has been shown in repeated studies to correct some of the motor defects found in patients with Parkinson's disease. Turning to rodents as a study system, investigators have gone on to show that neural stem cells (NSCs) can also be isolated and used as donor cells. NSCs can be isolated from dissociated rodent brains and propagated in vitro by addition of extracellular growth factors (such as EGF or bFGF) or the introduction of growth-promoting genes (such as v-myc or large T-antigen).

www.sciencemag.org...

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I think that it's only a matter of time before this happens. It very well could have secretly been attempted before.

We probably have most of the technology already.

The only ohter thing would be the objections by the people who would scream, about it being morally wrong.

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
I think that it's only a matter of time before this happens. It very well could have secretly been attempted before.

We probably have most of the technology already.

The only ohter thing would be the objections by the people who would scream, about it being morally wrong.

the thing is elevatedone, when transfering a brain, in theory, you will be changing your personaility and memory. Plus it cause pyschological problems aswell when the brain re-wires.

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 12:35 PM
link   
The brain is the repository for memory. I don't think that a persons memory would change. The trauma caused by such a HUGE shock to the body would affect personality though.

Another thing, throw cloning into the mix, easier to transplant into your own body, and your extending a persons life to what end? How does the brain age, compared to the body? I mean, if this were possible are we getting people that could extend their lives by centuries?

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 12:43 PM
link   

The brain is the repository for memory. I don't think that a persons memory would change. The trauma caused by such a HUGE shock to the body would affect personality though.

Another thing, throw cloning into the mix, easier to transplant into your own body, and your extending a persons life to what end? How does the brain age, compared to the body? I mean, if this were possible are we getting people that could extend their lives by centuries?

great point, if you put an old brain into a teen..would the teen feel as old as the brain?? if your 90 and get a healthy,young brain, would that mean that person could live for another 90 years?? to be honest, i really don't know

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Don't forget that this idea would involve either a reconnection
to the spinal-cord, which is currently impossible or... forget
the spinal-cord and the 'patient', would be a 'brain stem quad'.
This may be possible, imo about 50-100yrs.
S.

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by sanctum
Don't forget that this idea would involve either a reconnection
to the spinal-cord, which is currently impossible or... forget
the spinal-cord and the 'patient', would be a 'brain stem quad'.
This may be possible, imo about 50-100yrs.
S.

well in a 100 years i can see this happening too, but its going to be complex to preform a successful transplant

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I think it's impossible, too many nerves. Having a piece of someone elses brain wouldn't match up. Even though some people are able to function with a part of their brain missing.

new topics

top topics

join