It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ANALOGUE TO DIGITAL

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 05:12 PM
link   
What is the REAL reason???
Does anyone have a clue???

I have speculated in outside discussions that it has to do with greed...and possibly, that it is just another way to get into the living rooms of America and transmit some kind of EMF's in order to gain more control over the American public.

I do have a tube, but do not plan on hooking up to digital....happy to just chill with my movies...tyvm...

Look forward to reading the responses to this...and if it has been asked before, I apologize ahead of time.

~Holly

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Holly N.R.A.

Have you seen a large LCD display on analogue (not that I’m either consumerist enough or rich enough to have one)?

Blurrrggghhhhhhh, it's always about size

[edit]
And ask yourself would you rather watch a VHS or a DVD, that's the difference.

[edit on 18/11/2008 by spitefulgod]

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   
It's a mix of technological evolution and control. Digital has it's up points, but one of the reasons is that soon people will be forced to pay for content that was previously free to air over public broadcasting. They are taking down a service and replacing it with a subscription. Not only that, but digital media is more controllable than analog, and soon every user will be using digital equipment with backdoors in the firmware.

Sometime in the future the big brother state expects to have the faculty of turning off access to a particular individual to all forms of information, in the hopes of cutting off potential troublemakers like free thinkers from the information that would let their personality develop.

I don't really see it working for them, but I see the direction the NWO crowd is trying to go in. Information wants to be free however, and I don't expect they will manage to control access to it in quite the same way their megalomania dictates. Time will tell.

My advice is ignore digital tv and hook up those nice 60" monitors to a decent computer and a free internet. Empower yourself to watch what you want to watch, not be fed what somebody else wants to brainwash you with.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Better quality picture and sound. We are a decade or more behind the rest of the world. We get far more channels cheaper when you factor in the number of channels for the monthly cost.

I have a guy who works for me who is scared of the new televisions. His TV is 27 years old. He wastes thousands a year on phony health food fads, water ionizers, sheets with magnets or whatever currently popular confidence game is being aired on radio shows for the naive. He won't spend the money to get a $160 digital ready CRT television at Best Buy though. Sears also has some, I checked. All under $200. A 19 inch color TV cost over $500 in the 1960's. In adjusted dollars a new giant screen plasma is about the same price.

We have had more than 9 years of warning to get ready for the change. I'd say that is more than enough considering TV's are built to last for only 3 to 5 years in the first place.

As to the paranoid part, paranoid people have always fantasized that their TV's were watching them back. It is a phobia I suppose. No logic involved where phobia's are concerned.

What would they do, hire tens of millions of people to sit and watch what people are doing at home? Imagine how many people it would take to monitor everyone in their homes, their phone calls and their Internet activity even with filters? There are not enough people working for the government to even begin to do that.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Keep this in mind too. The government may have more control over what is on digital tv, but there are just as many "rogues" that do not work for them that will be able to manipulate/alter signals and imagery. To me, for the average man, technology has always done more harm than good. It has dumbed us down, over-simplified things. Switching to digital tv is a dumb move by the powers that be. By doing this they have leveled the playing field. This technology is more well known by the consumer and can easily be manipulated/altered by others. Hackers are one that comes to mind. If this whole NWO thing, etc is for real, this can only give us a fighting chance against it.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 08:32 PM
link   
However, if you have a two way digital channel into someones home you can retrieve information from it, done at the national scale you datamine the digital data collected using supercomputers scanning for (spoken) keywords or for facial or thermal recognition. The technology is ready now for a big brother state, not just with televisions, but with computers, both fixed and mobile. Mobile phones now are really data gathering devices if you think about it.

Big brother is really a digital backbone for information transmission, from the citizens to the state, from the state to the corporations, from the corporations to the elite, to the money issueing class.

It might have been paranoid in the mid to late XXth century, it's reality now. As for the effects of the technology directly on the people, I am more skeptical, but TV is probably a viehicle for NLP and hypnosis based propaganda techniques, at least, so while a tinfoil hat might not help, there is an element of mind control here.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Zepherian

Yeah, but what about "House", "Monk" and my Wifes cooking shows? What fun would that be

An digital to analog converter is free with the coupons. It just takes a tiny bit of effort for which people have had more than 9 years to prepare.
Besides which, a TV that old will go belly up any day and they cost more to repair than they did to buy in the first place.

Small LCD's will be dirt cheap this Holiday Season. They do make small ones. Heck, my laptop is a 17 inch HDTV.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Zepherian

Even so the number of people it would take to screen the tripped flags would be staggering. No way to hide that and how do you get that many people to keep their mouths shut. Heck, the President can't even keep his Cabinet Members mouths from running.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 08:04 AM
link   
House is pharmaceutical-industrial complex propaganda series, although I admit I find it entertaining. But if you keep a clear critical mind to the stories told to you there is an underpining of memetic manipulation. For example, there has been specific mention of black genetic disorders at least twice now, which is mildly racist, as when a genetic disorder is present in any other patient on the show race isn't an issue, and there are plenty of white specific genetic disorders. Also there is a medicine for every ailment, none of them natural. Natural remedies don't even get mentioned. House is portrayed as the superior almost god like medical father figure everyone looks up too...

Yes, it's entertaining, but it's also brainwashing, and keeping you away from a more natural reality that is in fact healthier than the intoxication of modern medicine. I won't comment on Monk, haven't watched it. But the point is be very wary of your culture, of your entertainment, because it dosen't always tell you the right things. Culture is not your friend.

As for people screening... you're right, but big brother is a vast entity, a pyramid structure which functions at various levels with various goals. They won't catch everything but, if left unchecked, the surveillence state will get more and more obtrusive, because it's run by control freaks that know no bounds.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Analog signals take up much more space to get through, and have less information. Digital signals are binary and have much more information in a smaller signal. On cable, one analog signal can be removed and make room for fifteen digital signals. That is a lot of future space, and the smaller channels and niche markets benefit the most.

Also, the communications and cell phone companies are running out of space and need more channels open. Many people own more than one device, and each one gets their own frequency. I hope this helps you out.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   
The higher quality audio thing about DTV is complete BULL. Yeah, it might be slightly better, but the audio always cuts out before video on DTV and that is really #ing annoying. Crystal clear screen, great picture, audio dropping every other second. It's enough to make someone insane. I would personally rather have a little fuzz on the screen and audio that is clear and doesn't drop.

And whoever said the box is free, That's complete bull# too. They sold public airwaves and the "DTV card" is our payment. Too bad the card is only good for the cheapest boxes. Plus the card is only for 40 bux and the boxes are 50-60 bux. You can buy a DVD player for 15 bux that has lasers and moving parts, but a solid state box run off one chip costs 4x more? Smells like a scam to me. The way I see it, they sold airwaves that belong to the public, then persuaded the electronics manufacturers to bump up the prices on the boxes so the public wouldn't really be compensated for the sale of airwaves.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by somedood

I agree with you this can be handled much better. It is also annoying that when the signal is weak, the whole picture goes blank. At least with analog, you still got a picture, albeit a bad one. The $20 boxes are a rip off, and most of us use cable anyway. I have family members who do have TVs in the garage and other rooms that are not hooked up by cable. This will be frustrating to them.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Yeah man, digital is the new standard,

Just like DVD's to Vhs to projectors
And MP3 to CD's to Cassete tapes
From Black and white to Colour to High defintition.

It's been happening for years, It's the biggest indusrty in the World, and the Best method of mind control.

new topics

top topics

join