It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2,800-Year-Old Monument to the Soul Is Discovered in Turkey

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   

University of Chicago archaeologists who made the discovery last summer in ruins of a walled city near the Syrian border said the stele provided the first written evidence that the people in this region held to the religious concept of the soul apart from the body. By contrast, Semitic contemporaries, including the Israelites, believed that the body and soul were inseparable, which for them made cremation unthinkable, as noted in the Bible....

“Normally, in the Semitic cultures, the soul of a person, their vital essence, adheres to the bones of the deceased,” said David Schloen, an archaeologist at the university’s Oriental Institute and director of the excavations. “But here we have a culture that believed the soul is not in the corpse but has been transferred to the mortuary stone.”

www.nytimes.com...

A wonderful discovery.

I find it interesting that all these centuries later that there are people who are doing studies to prove that the body and soul are separate.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I find this very interesting. Thank you so much for the article. I believe that our soul and mind is separate also. I would love to go find a group of people who still live in the Amazon, and havent been influenced by us, and talk to them about their religions beliefs. And see if it fits in any other religion around the world.

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by isa75

You're welcome.

I've tried to find some more information about it,but no luck yet.

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 04:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by isa75
I find this very interesting. Thank you so much for the article. I believe that our soul and mind is separate also. I would love to go find a group of people who still live in the Amazon, and havent been influenced by us, and talk to them about their religions beliefs. And see if it fits in any other religion around the world.

I'm sure you'd find that the concept of a soul (or something very similar) exists in most religions. But, that doesn't necessarily mean that the soul exists; only that we, as spiritual human beings expect it to exist.

In my opinion, the soul is a creation of man that helps explain what happens to our mind after death. We can't comprehend that at the moment of death our mind simply ceases to exist, so instead the idea of the soul has been created to represent the idea that after death, some part of our being continues to exist.

top topics

join