It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman Wants Webcam Fitted Into Prosthetic Eye

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Woman Wants Webcam Fitted Into Prosthetic Eye

www.foxnews.com

Tanya Vlach, a self-described trans-disciplinary artist involved in the Bay Area theater and dance scenes, lost her left eye in a 2005 car crash.

She now wears a plastic prosthesis, but would rather have something more useful — a Webcam of the sort often seen atop computer monitors.

"There have been all sorts of cyborgs in science fiction for a long time, and I'm sort of a sci-fi geek," Vlach tells the New York Daily News in a story published Monday. "With the advancement of technology, I thought, 'Why not?'"

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Well, here we go. Now the government will be hiring people with only 1 eye. Want to be a real spy? hehe

Seriously though, this is an interesting story. At first I was thinking that this was going to be a stupid ridiculous report about someone trying to gain attention.

However, I truly believe she simply wants to do it so she can, as she put it, record her life and present the world from a new and interesting perspective.

Kind of cool.

Nothing CT about it (well, except for the possibility of agents giving up an eye for 'National Security' hehe). Just an interesting story.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   
There's already head mounted display devices that operate like this with integrated camera technology. So I am not at all surprised at the idea of prosthetic eyes not only augmenting reality but recording it for playback.

I'm just waiting for all of this to be connected to the net via wi fi. When the first person gets their prosthetic limb, eye, etc. hacked into, somewhere someone is going to say that Masamune Shirow was a prophet.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   
She's gonna need some way to kill the uplink... or at least switch it so only the platinum members get the full eyeful.

Oh I kid, wonder what how the data gets transferred, bluetooth to a black box on her belt? nah, prob a dedicated encrypted form of RF. Then whats she gonna do, download it and then put it on the web? She could edit it, the people wan't live (I don't, just guessing).

Sounds like fun, I wouldn't do it tho.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I wonder about privacy and copyright issues etc. etc.
I can't imagine having to offer a release of information waiver to every person I came into contact with.
I would also think it would severely cripple any kind of intimacy whatsoever- "Seriously, take out your eye, I need to talk to you..."

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then
She's gonna need some way to kill the uplink... or at least switch it so only the platinum members get the full eyeful.

Closing that eye would work - it's not like she uses it to see.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 04:58 AM
link   
reply to post by dariousg

interesting thread....just dropped by to have a read!

My husband has a glass eye....he lost it at age 12......had it for about 28yrs or so now......would be great if they could hook a camera eye up to see one day....oh well ,at least he still has a spare to see with!

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I wonder if it would have sound?

sty

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 10:10 AM
link   
actually they can make bit more usefull by implanting an eye that would make the person see . I know they are some functional inplants (16x16 pixels now, UK ) but we could see the first 1 MP artifficial eye within 5 years. This would connect to the brain , helping people to see. Maybe even in the night/ infrared etc
then this would become more of an enhancement , people could even pay for it

new topics

top topics

join