It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The State of the NFL

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 08:55 AM
link   
What has happened to the NFL over the last few years? Has anyone else noticed that it is becoming increasingly more "tame"?

It seems to me like virtually every time anyone lays a hand on the QB, there is a penalty. Even on a clean hit on a live play, in which everyone is just doing what they're paid to do, the referees are throwing flags everywhere.

You can't tackle this way, you can't hit a player there, you can't do this, you can't do that.

If things keep going this way, the NFL is going to be a flag football league before long. I mean isn't football supposed to be a violent sport?

I understand not wanting players to get hurt, and am not suggesting that penalties and rules are not necessary. But hasn't it gotten a bit out of hand?

Am I the only one noticing the watering down of the NFL?

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

I think that's an accurate observation, and I think a lot of the Old School players would agree with you. Jack Lambert always did suggest putting a dress on the quarterback. For sure, don't get Chuck Bednarik started on this topic.

The fact is, players are bigger, stronger, faster now than they were 30 or more years ago. I remember when a 300 lb lineman was an abberation. Now, college linemen are routinely that large. Knee cartilage hasn't gotten any more durable, and skulls haven't gotten any harder. There's way too much money at risk to take any more of a chance than you need to with a player.

Circumstances being what they are, physical change and athleticism of the players and the $$ at risk, it's an inevitable outcome.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I do agree, but don't you think it's hurting the game?

It's almost putting a cap on how hard players can play in a way. Again, I'm not for complete lawlessness in the game, I just think we're getting a little too cautious with it.

I guess it really is a fine line.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

I was a big Bears fan growing up and all about Butkus. So I do miss some of the old school style. Still love football, and I'd be lying if I said my enjoyment of the NFL has been diminished by the stricter rules.

These guys still get the what-for beat out of them. I'd hate to be a receiver running a crossing pattern and get a blindside hit full steam by Bob Sanders. Which would be completely legal.

The problem I sometimes have is the "in the grasp" rule. Some QBs like say, Roethlisberger, are big enough to shake off tacklers. So you do see occasionaly what would seem to be a quick whistle. Then I think about the possibility of Albert Haynesworth holding Peyton Manning up long enough for 3 other guys to pop him and I think, "Blow the damn whistle".

So if it's MY QB, the quick whistle rules are fine. If it's someone else's, go ahead and tee off.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright
So if it's MY QB, the quick whistle rules are fine. If it's someone else's, go ahead and tee off.

I'm with you there.

The rules haven't changed my love of the game either. I just feel like some players are being babied too much sometimes with some of those calls.

Ahhh well. It's still football.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 06:43 PM
link   
i think what you are saying is true! they get paid millons of dollars to play this game because of it being rough. most of the players dont even play when they are in a little pain. football in the last 10 to 15 year has went down pretty back. i am glad that i am not the only one to see this.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

I think that part of it is also to handcuff the defense in order to create higher scoring games. High scores sell tickets.

Troy Polamalu commented on this same issue a few months ago.

TBH, I don't even watch the NFL very much anymore. College football is where it is at for me.

top topics

join