It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is quintessential rock album of all time?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 07:28 AM
link   
My pick is Velvet Underground - Loaded.

For me it has all the elements of what a rock album should be.

What is your pick?

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 08:07 AM
link   
It is tough to top Led Zeppelin IV. Metallica's black album was very good too, but I think that was just a very receptive period in my life.

Tough to put it on just one, so I will stick with Zeppelin.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Guns & Roses Appetite For Destruction was an awesome album. In 1987 I didn't know anybody who didn't have that album.

Edit to say that this album was certified as 18xplatinum in September 2008 and has sold in excess of 28 million dollars. Not bad for one album.

[edit on 11/18/2008 by Solarskye]

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Impossible for me to pick just one.....so here are my top five...errr six...lol.....in no particular order.

Cheers :w:

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Besides from what my avitar says, Pink Floyd The Wall. Whose are among very few albums i would say every track is great...

[edit on 18-11-2008 by flymetothemoon]

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   
The Who

Allman Brothers Live Filmore East

Derek & The Dominos

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a night at the opera

Queen

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 08:56 PM
link   
There is some great music posted here.

One of Rush's faves....of course: Rush 2112

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   
This is all that I have to say right here.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I have to say Im pretty partial to Siamese Dream by The Smashing Pumpkins and Im gonna say I can listen to Wish You Were Here and Dark Side by Pink Floyd over and over again, and then there is the Stones..I cant pick just one album by them..

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Dark Side of the Moon is probably my favorite album of all time. I just think that Pink Floyd is its own category. I don't think of it as rock.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by flymetothemoon

The Wall is actually my single favorite album of ANY kind.....I think Dark Side was more of a rock album where as The Wall was just something all together different.

It is head and shoulders above any one single album ever created. The Beetles can keep their white album, The Wall was pure unmatched genius.

People have asked me "what character from film or music or literature do you identify with the most?" ....and my answer has always been none other than Mr. Pink himself.

Pure genius

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 01:49 AM
link   
LOL... so you have some serious mother issues eh?

The Wall pretty much got me through my time in the Marines. I listened to it all the time. I love that album.

I am sure you have.... but I will ask anyways...

Have you seen "The Dark Side of Oz?" The sync of DSotM with The Wizard of Oz? I went to a laser light show once when they had it on the big screen.... let's just say it blew my mind. I had a friend make it for me on DVD. A great thing to have in the old library.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

All you have to do is start the CD exactly when the MGM lion roars at the beginning...it also doesnt hurt to be under the influence of a mind altering substance or two. Great fun, and oddly enough it does seem to go together quite well.

And yes...I do have mother issues...and a few others as well

Thankfully I have a great soundtrack from my life time that has helped me get through the good and the bad. Music = life.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 02:08 AM
link   
I believe it is the 3rd roar of the lion.

It is way easier if you just get someone to sync it up and burn it to a dvd...

For your synchronicity pleasure.... www.synchronicityarkive.com...

STARTING POINT
There are a variety of different ways to start the synchronicity between Dark Side of the Moon and Wizard of Oz. Conventional knowledge seems to hold that the famed Third Roar Theory is the best of the bunch, but I leave it up to you to experiment and choose your own favorite.

Third Roar Theory
Perhaps the best known variation of the Dark Side of the Rainbow synchronicity is the Third Roar Theory. It's certainly the first variation I myself discovered. It works very well and is relatively easy to set up. First put in cd, tape, or record of Dark Side of the Moon that you're going to use; generally this is easiest with cd, but if you're "slumming" it, it is possible to do it with other media (although considerably more difficult).

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Looks like im in good company with all the Pink Floyd fans..We should have a Pink Floyd thread whre we can all meet up. Im also a fan of a a band called Helmet and the album is called Meantime

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis
Dark Side of the Moon is probably my favorite album of all time. I just think that Pink Floyd is its own category. I don't think of it as rock.

Depends on how you define "rock". As it evolved from rock'n'roll and many took part in this developement, there are many genres you can define as "Rock". Heavy metal, blues, soft, progressive, hard, art ect.

"Rock" some may also define by the use of and experiences with eletric instruments like synthesizers...

The Wall is an ROCK OPERA

[edit on 19-11-2008 by flymetothemoon]

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I agree with most posted
So here's a few more:

Morrison Hotel - The Doors

Abbey Road - The Beatles
[im]http://www.nationmaster.com/wikimir/images/upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/42/Beatles_-_Abbey_Road.jpg/200px-Beatles_-_Abbey_Road.jpg[/i m]

And of Course
The White Album - The Beatles

- Carrot

[edit on 11/19/2008 by CA_Orot]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join