It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How often do you tell other members "thanks" with a U2U?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Curious how many people here send out a U2U to a member that you don't know when you enjoy something that they wrote? I realize there is the flag / star option, but sending a U2U is a nice gesture as well.

I try to do it as often as possible, but I really should send more. I know it makes my day when I get them.

So I am curious who else out there does it?

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 06:12 AM
link   
I U2U all the time for many reasons. And yeah, just last night I sent someone a "thank you".

Rush

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

I do it all the time too. It makes my day and hopefully theirs to. What better way to thank someone then to do it cyber personal with a u2u.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Thanks guys / gals. I would assume that the BTS community probably has a higher percentage of people that do this than ATS. People seem to be more friendly on this side of the pond.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis
People seem to be more friendly on this side of the pond.

Yes we are, and by the looks of your....cough....low BTS points....cough....you need to spend more time there.

I'm just sayin'.

Rush

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 07:09 AM
link   

I finally made it into positive numbers! I am trying....

I have a hard time adjusting to how slow it is over here though. ATS has spoiled me. It kills me to refresh the recent posts on BTS and see no change in an hour.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 07:22 AM
link   
I usually U2U when its something private and find thanking someone in the thread is probably better....reason being, is that everyone see's that you have appreciated what the OP or whoevers posted has written....plus the OP gets points and thankyou point maybe should be a little extra...not sure how that would work though......

but your right about being spoiled on ATS......

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 08:19 AM
link   
I U2U all the time...

Not always to thank someone though.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

Somewhat regularly. Usually for the following reasons:

1). After getting into a heated debate with someone who holds an opinion on the opposite end of the spectrum from me. If the interaction was enjoyable and intelligent (and not rude or hostile), I enjoy sending them a U2U letting them know how fun it was to engage them and to thank them for the exchange.

2). When I read something funny in a thread but don't want to make an off topic post, I'll send a u2u with the '
' smiles in them and thanking them for the laugh.

3). If someone makes a very well thought out post, I'll let them know in u2u instead of leaving a one liner just telling them I enjoyed their post since 'I agree. Good post.' comments aren't allowed.

4). To thank mods for applause. It feels rude not to although I sometimes feel like I bother them. That's not really due to 'something that they wrote' but I can't help myself lol.

Edit to add one more: 5). If I notice someone consistently making well thought out replies that always bring a different perspective to the table, I enjoy sending them a u2u compliment. Not really a thank you unless you want to consider it a thank you for the intelligent contributions. lol

Possibly one of the above happens around once a week.

[edit on 11/18/2008 by AshleyD]

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis
I have a hard time adjusting to how slow it is over here though. ATS has spoiled me. It kills me to refresh the recent posts on BTS and see no change in an hour.

That is where you and I differ. In regards to BTS, I like that I can step away, deal with all of the other aspects of my life, then come back and not feel like I have to catch up on 100 pages of whatever.

Just depends on what you are looking for. I happen to love the personal side of BTS...getting to know the other members.

Rush

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

4). To thank mods for applause.

It says not to respond to this u2u when you get an applause though...

To the OP- I don't thank members enough for all the reasons my fellow members have already stated. I do however like to leave comments and pics on people's profiles. Let me know if you want a comment and I'll leave you one. It's better than a u2u!

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 01:33 PM
link   
yes, i often send U2U's to thank people, and to apolagize to mods if they have to edit my post.......and if a thread starts going off topic into something i want to discuss, so we may continue via U2U without disrupting the thread.

i have gotten to know quite a few people thanks to the U2U, karlhungis you are one of those people, seagrass is another, miriam0566......and so on.

anyway's.....good thread, star and flag from me.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scramjet76
It says not to respond to this u2u when you get an applause though...

What can I say? I'm a rebel... of the paradoxical butt kissing persuasion. Mama always said send thank you notes.

Seriously, though. It's true you can't reply directly- you have to replace 'Forum Staff' with the staff's user name. HERE'S a thread I made about the subject. The 'do not reply' order was killing me so I asked if it was ok. Most said it was acceptable on all occasions and one said it was alright every now and then.

So I try to send a thank you note most of the time but will sometimes skip them if they come from the same mod in relatively quick succession so I don't drive them nuts.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I try to send one when I feel that another member has helped clarify a point for me or has contributed to a thread I might have authored in a manner that helps forward the topic being discussed. Or maybe if you made my avatar

Ashley, I also thank mods for applause even though it says not to. I feel I am being polite for them taking the time to recognize my contributions. I also can attest to having received one of your #5 thankyou's. Thanks!

[edit on 18-11-2008 by AugustusMasonicus]

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by AugustusMasonicus
I also can attest to having received one of your #5 thankyou's. Thanks!

As well as the previously unmentioned #6 where AshleyD is completely flipping out in one of those 'They're coming to take us all away' threads, when a rational stranger shows up to bring some counter facts to the table, helps her calms down, and subsequently receives a thank you note for helping her breathe again. :p

I still appreciate your kind and calm words.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 09:31 PM
link   
What a nice reminder.

It's not something I do often enough.
Yes, I try to say thank-you for an applause with a note to that Mod. But a l also try to give my appreciation to a member in the threads for all to see.

I know the "thanks" u2u messages I get make me feel good.

top topics

join