It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Change' = Lobbyists and Clintonistas

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

As far as Bush goes, his Governorship of Texas--while good on paper--did not prevent him from running the country into the ground from one of the best fiscal positions in its history. Kennedy was also considered unqualified, as was Reagan. What matters is the President's ability to assimilate information and delegate, not to mention speak effectively to the US population--I think he can do all of that.

As for the Lobbyists....he is a politician, and yes he told some lies and half-truths to get elected, as every politician has ever done who has actually gotten elected. Ron Paul--who I suspect you backed--didn't lie and lost. So it's an ugly truth that you need to tell people what they want to hear to get their vote. In the end it's what they do in office that matters. Wait to see what he does in office....

[edit on 18-11-2008 by Silenceisall]

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

The facts show - No change. No hope. No unity.

[edit on 11/18/2008 by FlyersFan]

No Change, No Hope, No Unity...this should be your Signature line, it seems to describe your world view well.

As well as the RNC...stepping backwards while the rest of the country moves forward.

No Comment on the RNC Suing to Overturn McCain Feigngold?

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silenceisall
As for the Lobbyists....he is a politician, and yes he told lies to get elected, as every politician has ever done who has actually gotten elected.

THANK YOU! Exactly. He ran on the rhetoric that he would change the way things were done in Washington. He gave the impression to everyone this would be on a massive scale. He said that politics as it has been done in the past is dead. BUT - he acted just like every other corrupt politician - telling lies to get into the White House.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 10:57 AM
link   

and when you bring in massive numbers of lobbyists even after promising not to have any in the administration -

I don't believe he made this promise. He promised that they would not RUN his White House. Do you happen to have a quote of his lobbyist-related promise that has you in a tizzy?

Some people hear the words they want to hear and then assume the meaning behind them. You have to listen to what he SAYS, not what you want to hear...

Did you read my car analogy? I noticed you ignored it and it made really good sense...

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by maybereal11

The facts show - No change. No hope. No unity.

No Change, No Hope, No Unity...this should be your Signature line, it seems to describe your world view well.

As well as the RNC...stepping backwards while the rest of the country moves forward.

Not everyone who is "anti-obama" is "pro mccain". Not sure why people think that. Many people were not happy at ALL with the choices.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 10:59 AM
link   

That's the point. It's not moving forward. It's poltiics as usual.
Change was promised. But there is no change - as my opening post
clearly shows.

Sorry ... missed that. I don't know anything about it.

maybereal11 - at this point you can say democrat or republican and the two are almost interchangeable for corrupt politics and lies.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   

After campaigning on promises to end the influence of lobbyists in the White House, Mr. Obama has imposed rules that bar officials on his transition team from handling any issues in areas of policy where they have lobbied over the last 12 months or from seeking to influence the same agencies for the next 12 months.

The rules also bar officials from working on matters where family members or recent business associates may have a direct conflict of interest. In cases where there is even an “appearance of conflict,” officials must seek a waiver from the transition’s executive director, an Obama Senate aide and law school classmate, Christopher Lu.

At least one official initially involved in the transition appears to have been reassigned because of concern about his lobbying or legal work. Henry Rivera, a former Democratic commissioner on the Federal Communication Commission who was involved in planning for the agency’s transition, has dropped out of that role because he had represented clients on communications policy in the last year, the newsletter Communications Daily reported Friday.

Source

Obama Team Unveils Lobbyist Restrictions

Sounds to me he's doing a pretty good job of keeping his promise to not let lobbyists run his White House...

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
He promised that they would not RUN his White House.

He promised that they would not WORK in his WHite House
CNN video

Some people hear the words they want to hear and then assume the meaning behind them.

Yes. I've noticed.

You have to listen to what he SAYS, not what you want to hear...

Right back atchya.

Did you read my car analogy? I noticed you ignored it and it made really good sense...

I read it. I didn't bother commenting. I thought it was pretty useless.
It ignores the fact that he has no experience and those who he is bringing in with experience are OLD WASHINGTON POLITICS. The student driver is learning from a bunch of old corrupt road jockeys. Their influence runs the new driver.

BACK TO THE TOPIC -Same old poltiics. No change.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   

He promised that they would not WORK in his WHite House
CNN video

Thanks for linking to that. I hadn't heard it. It's not that I heard only what I wanted to hear. I just hadn't heard that clip.

I think it's pretty impossible not to have any lobbyists working with him, but I admire the restrictions he is putting on them. I don't think he should have made the promise. Probably a sign of his inexperience in Washington politics. But he did. And now finds it impossible to keep. And I still think the restrictions he's putting them will help a lot with their influence.

Their influence runs the new driver.

We shall see. We have yet to see whose influence is stronger in the new White House.

[edit on 18-11-2008 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   
ON TOPIC - "change" = Lobbyists and Clintonistas

More history for those interested -

Washington Post
Obama – “Lobbyists will not work in my White House.”

NY TIMES
Aides to Obama – ‘lobbiests will not find a job in Obamas White House.’

Funny. Obama critical of McCain for using lobbyists - CNN youtube

Another funny. Obama critical of McCain lobbyists – but check out the corporation cash Obama got . Not quite lobbyists but influence all the same. McCain got cash too. About half ... but still a bundle.
You tube here

edited immedately for poor spelling (I stink at spelling)

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Washington has not seen these kinds of restrictions on Lobbyists. Ever.

They cannot be hired to work upon an issue they have lobbied for...

They cannot take a lobbying job AFTER leaving the administration. This is critical and game changing since so many current and past whitehouse staff do favors for future employers with the promise of a job after the administration leaves office. It's almost become a non-story in MSM since it happens so often.

www.npr.org...
Obama Transition Team Limits Lobbyists' Roles
the rules for the transition team say lobbyists can participate in limited ways. But after the transition is over, they can't lobby on anything they worked on during the transition.

They can't use their lobbying budget to underwrite transition team activity — the kind of thing that could curry favor. And they can't hold titled jobs in the transition — the kind of thing they could use to impress clients.

Obama's New Rules Worry Some Lobbyists
www.npr.org...

Lobbyists cannot contribute to or raise money for the transition team. After he was formerly named the Democratic Party's nominee during the primary race, Obama instructed the Democratic National Committee to take similar moves.

Obama Transition: Lobbyists Not Welcome
Calling such rules "the strictest" of any transition team in history, Podesta also said anyone formally working for the transition team who has been a lobbyist will not be able to work in the transition's policy fields for which they lobbied. They also cannot be lobbying simultaneously. A gift ban is also part of the ethics rules.

[edit on 18-11-2008 by maybereal11]

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Sorry ... missed that. I don't know anything about it.

RNC Sues To Overturn McCain-Feingold

The Republican National Committee has filed lawsuits challenging "the constitutionality of the Bipartisan Campaign Reform Act's ban on national parties raising and spending non-federal dollars, and the constitutionality of political party coordinated expenditure limits."

The Bipartisan Campaign Reform Act is better known as the McCain-Feingold campaign finance reform bill, and the lawsuit is effectively an effort to overturn it.

The effort, the Washington Times argues, amounts to "a slap in the face" to 2008 GOP presidential nominee John McCain

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   

www.abovetopsecret.com...

THANKS! I just used your link here to go visit that thread. Interesting!
I left my initial comments. I'll have to read up on it. I had no idea
that was going down. Smells fishy!!

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 02:06 AM
link   
We should be discussing principle here, not the nuances of Obama's clever rhetoric: the man had clear intentions as to how his government would be run and he has clearly gone against that grain. You can run around this through fanciful flourish of his statements, or reinterpret them to suit your whim and messianic image of him, but the fact remains that he hasn't changed anything.

What of that old Ukrainian-Polish dog that pulls his strings on foreign policy? That man, who has called for global domination and the dismantling of Euro-Asian superpowers isn't change either.

Luxifero

[edit on 21-11-2008 by Luxifero]

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Any candidate, be it Obama, McCain or drama queen ron paul, there will alway be need for experienced members in the administration, who will have prior lobbyist and administration experience, its inevitable. Change is coming, lets give the man a year to actually sit in office shall we

The OP has absolutley nothing to do with lobbyists or washington and everything to do with partisan bickering.

-SG

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 07:07 AM
link   
It's pretty inevitable that despite Obama's empty promises, lobbyists will soon be influencing policy in the WH. And what will happen when that happens?

Obama will feign surprise and sadness. He will discharge the guilty to a less prominent position. But he will not clean house.

Business will continue as usual.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join