It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brazilian stock exchange trader shoots himself on trading floor

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Brazilian stock exchange trader shoots himself on trading floor

www.--.com

A stock exchange trader has shot himself in the chest on the trading floor of Sao Paulo’s Bovespa stock exchange a couple of hours prior to the markets closing. The victim identified as Paolo Sergio Silva, aged 36, was taken to hospital and his current condition is unclear.
Initial investigations suggest that the man had traded heavily in stocks that had plummeted on the Brazilian Stock Exchange and this may have been the trigger for the shooting. Brazil has seen dramatic falls in its share market recently although the Brazilian economy is not believed to be in recession yet.
The stock exchange closed temporarily following the incident ...
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit: snippet]

[edit on 18-11-2008 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 03:40 AM
link   
This crisis is really effecting latin America, for instance Argentine President Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner met Oct. 16 with Cabinet members and business representatives to discuss the government’s strategy for responding to the global financial crisis. Their conclusion: The government will seek to enhance protectionist policies to defend local industries against the effects of the crisis. As a country with extremely poor credit, Argentina has limited interaction with the international financial system, and this relative isolation protects it from the direct impact of the financial crisis. However, Brazil — Argentina’s largest neighbor and trading partner — is not so protected, and the bad luck could be spreading.

www.--.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Just goes to show some people react to crisis differently,I had a friend who was going through financial hardship,rather then scale down get a job at a department store living by the beach and trying to put on an act of a high roller took off to an obscure area got a motel room "probably a 5 star" and took all her pain killers killing herself,sad she left her 2 children parentless,so some people let their vanity control their life,I've been down and out before,and I am in high cotton now,being broke sucks but it isn't the end of the world

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 08:14 AM
link   
It just shows you society has been indoctrinated to think that a piece of paper with numbers on it is so signifcant at the end of the day...That you would commit suicide over it...Very sad.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 11:12 AM
link   
With respect to the original post the worse( people jumping from Wall street windows, etc ) is most certainly yet to come in both the US and a host of developing and re-developing nations.

Originally posted by Oldtimer2
Just goes to show some people react to crisis differently,

Sure and you absolutely have to respect the fact that she saw this 'failure' in such a harsh light that she would resort to something so terribly final. Clearly the problem wasn't indecisiveness so who are we going to hold responsible for the fact that she saw absolutely no way out of this?

I had a friend who was going through financial hardship,rather then scale down get a job at a department store living by the beach and trying to put on an act of a high roller took off to an obscure area got a motel room "probably a 5 star" and took all her pain killers killing herself,

Is it that surprising than in a society where people are indoctrinated to believe that they are what they earn and can afford to buy some people will attempt to kill themselves when they suffer a financial death so to speak? Is it then surprising that some would actually successfully ( In the US 30 000 out of half a million) attempt to kill themselves? Hell with 'friends' like you ( i will for her sake presume you aren't really one in describing her in this way) suicide might have been better than confronting judgemental 'friends'.....

sad she left her 2 children parentless,so some people let their vanity control their life,

Vanity? Do you have vain friends or wasn't she really a friend? If she was so vain didn't anybody suspect notice that she wasn't coping or were he friends equally vain and oblivious to anything but their own financial state?

I've been down and out before,and I am in high cotton now,being broke sucks but it isn't the end of the world

Sure isn't but unless you make sure that all you close friends knows how you feel and how you expect them think about this it isn't of much use as a personal secret.

Stellar

[edit on 18-11-2008 by StellarX]

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Oldtimer2
Just goes to show some people react to crisis differently,I had a friend who was going through financial hardship,rather then scale down get a job at a department store living by the beach and trying to put on an act of a high roller took off to an obscure area got a motel room "probably a 5 star" and took all her pain killers killing herself,sad she left her 2 children parentless,so some people let their vanity control their life,I've been down and out before,and I am in high cotton now,being broke sucks but it isn't the end of the world

Yes I agree with you.
Fight to stay alive don't lay down and give up.
Forget about money think about your friends and your family.
Money comes and goes money isn't real.
We all once lived in huts and made our own clothes and took a dump in the damn woods ffs.
Money isn't worth killing yourself over or dying over.
It just isn't.
If you were born poor and die poor or born rich and die poor what the hell does it matter.
Try and better your life sure, but don't end it if it doesn't work out.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by stewartw2

Did that journalist actually say that the stocks this guy was trading in "might have been the trigger for the shooting"?

Wow.. real bad choice of words for something so messed up.

top topics

join