It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Real" Vampire Sites

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons
Of course *real* vampires dont exist,so neither would real vampire websites.But im sure there a few ones with odd people claiming to be vampires...Porphyria i think thats kinda like a vampire...

Agree with you also. Real vampires don't exist. What exist instead it's some odd illness like the Porphiria, and some mental disturbances that make some people belives they are real vampires.

All the rest is just a urban legend.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   
A groundbreaking academic work on real vampirism and the vampire community is now available. The long-term academic and sociological significance of this work can't be underscored enough. Joseph Laycock offers a sweeping scholarly examination of the vampire community and the process of self-identification as a vampire. He counters many of the negative stereotypes of the vampire community and posits thought-provoking arguments regarding ontological diversity. Some of the repudiated claims include those made by Keyworth (vampirism is best described as a new religious movement), Perlmutter (vampires represent a dangerous cult), and popular culture (vampires are all disillusioned youth living a fantasy).

Amazon: www.amazon.com...=sr_1_1

Barnes & Noble: search.barnesandnoble.com...

Praeger Publishers: www.abc-clio.com... *or* ABC-CLIO @ Telephone 800.368.6868, 7:00 AM - 4:30 PM (PST)

* This book is primarily aimed towards academicians, scholars, and professionals who are referencing information on the vampire subculture. Distribution will be primarily to universities and libraries; not the general public unless individuals assist with such (Praeger Publishers leaves all external advertising and promotion to the author or interested parties).

Religion Dispatches Article: www.religiondispatches.org...

Vampires Today: The Truth About Modern Vampirism
Joseph Laycock

Chapter 1: What Is a Vampire? or, The Varieties of Vampiric Experience
Chapter 2: Why Vampires?
Chapter 3: The Vampire Milieu
Chapter 4: Initiatory Vampire Groups: Vampirism as Apotheosis
Chapter 5: The Vampire Community
Chapter 6: Vampirism and Religion, a Dialogue
Chapter 7: Out of the Shadows
Chapter 8: Vampires and the Modern
Bibliography & Index

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Merticus
A groundbreaking academic work on real vampirism and the vampire community is now available. The long-term academic and sociological significance of this work can't be underscored enough.

How and why is this an academic work? (this would mean that there's a university/accepted institute somewhere that endorses this 'work') Show me some backing to this

but to be honest, the academic and sociological insignificance of a claim like this cannot be mocked enough.

really

sleep tight

Shade

[edit on 15-6-2009 by Mirrorshade]

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
If you wish to be technical about it...

It's a scholarly work on the vampire community.

Joseph Laycock is an independent scholar and recipient of a grant from the Pluralism Project. He holds an Masters in Theology from Harvard University and is a doctoral candidate in religion as Boston University. This particular work was peer reviewed, fully sourced/first-hand research/extensive bibliography, and is published by Praeger Publications and ABC-CLIO - an academic and scholarly publishing house. He has also presented on the topic of real vampirism and the vampire community at the annual conference of American Academy of Religion, November 17, 2007. For more information see:

Religion Dispatches Article:

www.religiondispatches.org...

Amazon: www.amazon.com...=sr_1_1

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Merticus
If you wish to be technical about it..
Joseph Laycock is an independent scholar and recipient of a grant from the Pluralism Project. He holds an Masters in Theology from Harvard University and is a doctoral candidate in religion as Boston University. This particular work was peer reviewed, fully sourced/first-hand research/extensive bibliography, and is published by Praeger Publications and ABC-CLIO - an academic and scholarly publishing house. He has also presented on the topic of real vampirism and the vampire community at the annual conference of American Academy of Religion, November 17, 2007. For more information see:

I do wish to be technical about it.

This man, as you claim, is an independent scholar. Does the independent part mean that nobody wants to back his claims? if so then how is he a scholar?

next:

'He holds an Masters in Theology from Harvard University and is a doctoral candidate in religion as Boston University'

I have to admit that I don't like organized religion, don't to bow to any of it. Your man there did, ok, and now he is a candidat for a religious doctorate.
Well that doesn't change a thing. He's a candidate (woops I almost forgot: very important this: a master) a master in making a life out of taking tall tales at face value an writing about them.

What that guy says about the supernatural surely must be carved in stone

But somehow I'm still not convinced. Call me, well, call me what you will as long as you use the words 'not' and 'convinced'.

'This particular work was peer reviewed' OK, so am I correct in assuming that means: people who believe the same thing say he wrote about it in a convincing way?

just asking

good night,

Shade

[edit on 16-6-2009 by Mirrorshade]

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
The following reviews and commentary should address most of your inquiry (greater character count than I can post here):

www.religiondispatches.org...:_your_neighbors_and_spouses
www.atlantavampirealliance.com...
www.threatquality.com...
www.shadowdancepodcast.com...

The author does not claim a "belief" in vampirism. His purpose was to examine the community or subculture from an emic perspective and compile his observations into an ethnography. The interpretation is left to the reader but this is by far the most accurate and balanced depiction of individuals who self identify as "real vampires" published to date - whether one agrees with their assessment of personal identity or not. At its core it's a cultural study; not a religious one. Refer also to ABC-CLIO: www.abc-clio.com...

Vampires Today: The Truth About Modern Vampirism
Joseph Laycock - Praeger Publishers 2009
www.amazon.com...=sr_1_1

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Are you joking around here, Shade?

"This man, as you claim, is an independent scholar. Does the independent part mean that nobody wants to back his claims? if so then how is he a scholar?"

"Independent scholar" means that he wasn't commissioned by a university to perform the study. It happens fairly often that serious scholarly work is performed without being commissioned. Since the word "scholar" refers to someone who researches a topic in a rigorous way, there's nothing about "scholar" that requires one be part of an institution. What do you mean "back his claims"? All of his research is sourced, anyone can check it if they want. *You* could check it if you wanted. His peers checked it, and didn't dispute it, which means that they "back his claims."

"I have to admit that I don't like organized religion, don't to bow to any of it. Your man there did, ok, and now he is a candidat for a religious doctorate."

Do you know what Harvard Divinity School is? It's not a seminary school; you don't go there to become a priest or a minister. A Master's in Theological Studies is a degree in which you research how people have interacted with religion throughout history. It's not doctrinal. Likewise, a PhD from BU isn't a degree in *believing in God*, it's a degree in studying religion. No part of either the Harvard Divinity School *or* BU's PhD program in religious studies constitutes a wing of organized religion.

"Well that doesn't change a thing. He's a candidate (woops I almost forgot: very important this: a master) a master in making a life out of taking tall tales at face value an writing about them.

What that guy says about the supernatural surely must be carved in stone"

Nor does anything about having an MTS or PhD in religious studies require that one take "tall tales" at face value. In fact, the exact opposite of that is true--getting a degree in religion requires a rigorous analysis of those "tall tales".

"'This particular work was peer reviewed' OK, so am I correct in assuming that means: people who believe the same thing say he wrote about it in a convincing way?"

No, you are actually completely incorrect in that assumption. "Peer-reviewed" means "reviewed by people who have studied religion" not "people who are religious".

Even a casual reading of the book or, incidentally, of any of the criticism of the book, would realize that it's what's called "an ethnographic study"; it analyzes a culture or a subculture without making claims to the veracity, or lack thereof, of that culture's beliefs.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Any of you who don't think vampires are real are sorely mistaken! I'm not talking the immortal and rise from the grave variety. I first came across them while reading articles and watching CNN on a missing girl a few months back and followed them to their web sites and forums. These people actually aided the police in finding this girl.

What I found is nothing less than right out of x-files or Illuminati conspiracies. They are everywhere and positioned within the highest tiers of business and government. These are people who consume the blood and life force energy of willing people and just use the vampire name as a metaphor. They are highly intelligent, organized and effective at what they do. Like everyone else I just thought they were teenagers run a muck until i did some real digging.

They are led by councils and regional groups such as Society Nocturnus of Gotham, Court of Lazarus, Voices of the Vampire Community, House Kheperu, Atlanta Vampire Alliance, Temple of the Vampire, Kemetic Order of the Aset Ka and hundreds of others. Most of these people are in their late 30's to 50's and claim to practice everything from Christianity to Satanism -- you could compare them to the Freemasons and be on the right path.

Their main think tank, or archive as they refer to it, is located at www.suscitatio.com... The higher you subscribe in levels the more information you find on what these people are really about and where they're located. They don't promise to turn you into a vampire or anything like that but they watch everything and influence the information about them on television, newspapers, and other outlets. I've been trying to convince them to allow me to glance into the fourth level of their archive but my request has been denied (I even offered them more money and they flat out refused) and I know there's lots of material there because the post counts and other things just don't add up.

I know it sounds crazy but something is going on at the higher tiers of this subculture and on this archive. They have to be planning something that will impact the larger society to have these kinds of connections and information that I've seen. It's really like going down the rabbit hole.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
When you meet a real one you'll know just on how you feel yourself.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by josephina

Speaking from personal experience? I would love to hear your story, if you would be so kind as to share it.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Vampires exist so do lycans but what everybody doesn't realize is vampires and lycans die and they're soul is trapped on earth for all eternity not his or her body. When a lycan or vampire (which is spelled wrong its actually spelled vampyre) dies his or her soul moves to a new body. But lycans are the hybrid vampire/werewolve. Nobody realizes that but its the truth. Also believing and knowing are 2 different things, believing is seeing is what everybody says but actually whether u see it or not u can say i believe it is true but knowing is seeing and then you can say i know they exists. This is what i know.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join