It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Is Government Taking Over Tv Band And Could This have Anything To Do With 2/2009

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Been trying to find out why government wants this band, can't find any thing on net?
Plus the word something could happen 2/2009 by web bot, congress.

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by googolplex

When the digital signals kick in in Feb the analog signals are going to be sold for internet airwaves to sprint or att or some other biggie, I forget whom. They said that once by mistake on the daily countdown to bimbo newscaster heaven, since the bimbos announce about 20-40 times a day AND on the newscasts tv is going to go digital.

don't you just want to turn off the damn thing to get even.

[edit on 17-11-2008 by counterterrorist]

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Yes but I still watch Lou Dobbs.

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Is that when WiMax will kick in?

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I was just thinking those DTV boxes which everybody who doesnt have dtv capable tv's will be getting could fit a camera or voice recorder very nice; and the boxes are kinda huge the size of a dvd player when they dont need to be that large.

The commericals about the transition almost mirror the commericals they are shown in I Robot about upgrading your NS4 robot.

[edit on 17-11-2008 by kvaniu]

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   
There is a ton of information about the money and technical sides at FCC.gov along the bids getting ready to go out.

I'll copy a response I made on another thread on this very subject within this site.

Going from analog TV to digital TV is a leap of 80 years or so in technology. The analog system is based on vacuum tube technology and hasn't really changed since inception.

Digital broadcasting frees up band width of the radio spectrum. 20 years or even 10 years ago, this would have not been a big deal. The FCC would have given some of these frequencies away for no cost, or just reallocated them to existing fixed bands services.

Existing analog channels i.e. channel 4, requires around 6 MHz for the picture and sound to broadcast on 2 different frequencies and mixed to form the picture and audio you receive from the TV. This 6 MHz per channel is required for all the channels broadcast on analog TV. Digital signals will also use the same 6 MHz, but they are allowed to broadcast next to one another. There are only a few channel combinations allowed to broadcast side by side in a market, due to interference from one another. This would be like a channel 4 and channel 5 in one market, this is allowed, but not channel 8 and 9.

This 6 MHz block used by digital broadcasting can have several channels within the 6 MHz. Where, with analog broadcasting, only 1 channel; now you can compress 4 streams into the same bandwidth.

Because of the analog wide usage of bandwidth, and the rules that would only allow certain channels to be broadcast side by side, this caused channels to be spread across the radio spectrum and not in one continuous block. Digital TV removes these barriers and the related wasted bandwidth.

What makes this switch now apparent is that freeing up radio spectrum in different frequencies, have different applications used by today's electronics. WIFI will have many more options for locations that were not available due to interference from analog signals.

Cellphones will take over some frequencies in the VHF and UHF bands currently held by channels over 14 and above.

With this additional WIFI and cellphone usage comes money that will be generated by the FCC to allow companies to broadcast on these newly opened frequencies. As for the money side, we are discussing billions of dollars of revenue coming into the federal government. This is why you are seeing the media blitz.

The 2/2009 is just the deadline for stations to complete the transition to digital broadcasting, nothing more or less.

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Thanks hinky

But where does WiMax fit in?

[edit on 17-11-2008 by googolplex]

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by hinky

Cellphones will take over some frequencies in the VHF and UHF bands currently held by channels over 14 and above.

Did you know that tuneing in the t.v. will and can pickup the VHF and UHF bands. Oh...Cellphones are on those! *wink*wink*nudge*nudge*. Before cell (mobile phones) turned into digital I turned the dial of a t.v I had and I could listen to mobile phones.

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Well actually, I think it also has to do with HARRP. UHF and VHF waves reflect off of the Ionosphere and if I remember correctly there was an article how the array can be used to distort it and use it to help redirect the waves to allow for deep sea communication and other various projects.

So basically, when they start blasting you with these ELF Waves it'll knock your tv basically. LOL I guess you can say they don't want you to have a heads up.

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by googolplex
Thanks hinky

But where does WiMax fit in?

Look into the 700 MHz bids at the FCC site. These are the frequencies being opened up as a large block. Basically channels 53 to 69 under current analog broadcasting, but over the frequencies of 698 MHz to 806 MHz.

This is a good choice for WiMax as it has the ability of multi-mile transmissions with low power and the whole band is open so close frequency interference is very minimal.

The lower bands opening up will go for many more WIFI applications which do not not have the power or distance requirements needed as WiMax needs.

top topics

join