It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A whole lot of big moving style trucks in LA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   
First off, my apologies if this is the wrong forum - feel free to move this if necessary.

So, I live in Los Angeles and have noticed a HUGE increase in moving style trucks on the roads lately.

I ride a motorcycle and lanesplitting is legal out here and while I don't have an exact count I can easily say that, at least in the areas I drive (West Hollywood - West LA - Bevery Hills - Santa Monica) I would say that the number has probably quadrupled. Used to be that I could easily ride from work to school to home and maybe have to go full lane once to get around these larger vehicles. Lately it is typically 3-6 times on my drive.

It could just be the housing market fallout as more people are moving. The odd thing to me is that they aren't really companies which I have heard of. Seldom do I see a Ryder, Uhaul or Budget truck. The trucks all look a little bit older and more banged up (though anyone out here can tell you how easy that effect is to create) with names like LE (limited edition) Movers, Myers and Sons and a couple others I can't think of right now. I would take pictures but, as I said, I am on my motorcycle and it is a bit difficult.

Anyway, anyone else noticed an increase in these kinds of vehicles lately? They could be all kinds of things, surveillance, terrorist dry runs, NWO or heck, even just moving vehicles, but there are enough to get my conspiracy sense a tingling...

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I don't know, but..................

With so many people losing their homes, and I mean by the millions, it does not surprise me that there are many timers the normal number of moving trucks.

That does not, however, mean it could not be anything else.

Remember, with all the fires in the last few days, truck/trucker's may be having to use different routes to move things.

For example, over the weekend, the 5, 405 and the 14 freeways were closed from the 118 on north.

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Marid Audran

Anyway, anyone else noticed an increase in these kinds of vehicles lately? They could be all kinds of things, surveillance, terrorist dry runs, NWO or heck, even just moving vehicles, but there are enough to get my conspiracy sense a tingling...

I'm in Orange County and the amount of houses for sale is through the roof. I have seen an increase in moving trucks but I believe it's directly related to people losing their homes. Also, there are a lot of off-brand moving companies that use older trucks with no names on them and people are probably using those to save money. If you look on Craig's list or the Penny Saver you will see a lot of ads for people that will move you and many of those are a one-truck operation.

Wait a minute ... isn't there a moratorium on foreclosures at the moment? I seem to remember hearing that Schwarzenegger has told mortgate companies that they have to wait 90 days prior to foreclosing and try to work with homeowners to reach a payment that everyone can live with ... if that's the case I don't think the spike in trucks would be the sole result of moving.

Then again, I spend a lot of time in La Jolla and the 'for sale' signs there are almost non-existant. It's as if the economy and housing market hasn't had any impact on that town, but anyway, I'm bringing that up because I don't recall seeing any trucks in that town at all.

I'll start paying more attention to where I'm seeing trucks, what kind of trucks they are, what time of day, etc. You could be on to something and maybe there is something more than just the housing crisis that is prompting the increase in these vehicles.

Jemison

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Couple of things maybe.

there's a massive US wargame going on in California at the moment,

and,

maybe people are packing up and fleeing the fire's? or the fire season?

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Marid Audran

Totally off subject quickly, I also live in So Cal and lane splitting is actually not legal, I got a ticket for $125 and this is how they do it, they get you for the "Basic Speed Law" which states that at no time can you travel faster than the traffic around you or use your vehicle in any manner that could interfere with traffic. So, lane splitting is not illegal, but by lane splitting you are breaking the Basic Speed Law, it is total crap and just another way for the bankrupt state can collect on you,. I did go to court to fight this citing the DMV handbook and I still lost. Heads up fellow rider!!!!!

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Fletcher33

Totally off subject quickly, I also live in So Cal and lane splitting is actually not legal, I got a ticket for $125 and this is how they do it,

What is lane splitting? Is that something that motorcycles do? If it's something that is done in a car and they are giving tickets for it I want to know what it is so that I can be sure I'm not doing it!

Jemison

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Jemison

Lane splitting is something only motorcycles can do. In California, and maybe some other states, if traffic is at a certain pace (I'm not sure of details) a motorcycle can basically ride between the cars on two lanes of the road. So let's say I was in my car in the middle lane, and you were in your car in the left lane next to me and traffic was not moving... a motorcyclist can ride up the line dividing our two cars. You see this mostly in cities which have bumper to bumper traffic a lot.

So you needn't worry about a ticket.

And for the topic at hand. My guess would be the fires in the area.

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by GetOutOfMyRabbitHole

And for the topic at hand. My guess would be the fires in the area.

I don't know about the OP's experience but I noticed this prior to the fires. Fires in Orange County didn't start until Saturday morning and once they did I didn't leave my house until today. LA fires started on Friday night I think.

Jemison

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by GetOutOfMyRabbitHole

Also that in that 15 years, I was cited for this only once, and that's all it took to land me in court. just trying to give a fellow rider a heads up. this does not affect drivers in cars so all are safe there. Thanks for the time everybody. Safe riding. Sorry for being off topic!!!!

[edit on 17-11-2008 by Fletcher33]

[edit on 17-11-2008 by Fletcher33]

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Yeah, it was prior that I really started noticing them - a couple of weeks ago.

also, as to the lane splitting, crazy about that ticket. I can't imagine why they would do that unless he just had a quota or something to meet. As long as you are at a safe speed they aren't supposed to really be able to do anything.

Like I said at the beginning, it just seemed really odd, the number of them, especially in and around century city.

[edit on 17-11-2008 by Marid Audran]

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Lane splitting, Miami, mid '80's...

A Harley is slowly maneuvering between cars in a traffic jam on 95. He's doing about 30 - 35mph.

A jerk in a 'vette decides to open his door, and the Harley takes a spill on the road.

The Harley driver gets up, restarts, and does a wheelie, coming down front wheel onto the 'vette's hood.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Preemptive measures from the Shadow Government for the forthcoming 'Big One' of the San Andreas quake?

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I think with fuel costs going down more trucks are running,I really haven't seen much more trucks then usual,I do know that the trucks are rolling faster now,and as far as lane splitting with the thousands stuck in gridlock I'm sure the odds of a psycho behind the wheel are high,I personally move over for them,might be because me and kids rode bikes,and also bikes can use the diamond lanes

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

Preemptive measures from the Shadow Government for the forthcoming 'Big One' of the San Andreas quake?

Just as I was getting lulled back into a false sense of security you had to go bring that up?

I'll be out and about most of the day today and tomorrow and will pay attention to the trucks and what they seem to be doing. I'm very curious about this and now I'm not so convinced that it's just the moving from the housing market.

Jemison

top topics

join