It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Internet/Text Message VS The Phone

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 03:47 PM
link   
A century or so ago the telephone was invented. Soon you could call some one halfway around the world and hear their voice. Not ... .. . . ... .. but their voice. A century later this is seen as old, archaic compared to lol r u wat? How? How is hearing a persons voice considered old compared to pretty much ... .. . . ... .. Right now I could call from Maine to LA, or Tokyo, and hear a persons voice. But that is the old ways. Instead people are text messaging ... .. .... . .. ... . or IMing it. Can you imagine? Could you believe telling say, Lincoln that one day hearing a persons voice from thousands of miles away, even from outer space, will be old to ... ... . .. . . ....

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 09:58 PM
link   
It may be old technology, but that doesn't mean it is inferior.

At least, that's the way I look at it.

Same goes for alot of things.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Phone wins if you want to know that you're speaking with a fully literate person. Text'ing is fine when you need to be discrete for whatever reason but, over time, it makes people stupid.

Hard lines won't ever die out delivering voice, especially fiber optic hard lines; wireless quality and security just can't compete. Ok.. maybe in 50 years when we get quantum encryption down in real time, hard lines might then start to fall into disrepair.

[edit on 11/18/2008 by ZombieOctopus]

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Hate the phone so txt or im wins for me.But a face to face conversation will still always be best so many more cues to pick up on.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Cool thread..Ive become so inundated with text messaging that Ive become phone stupid. I sweat that everything I do is by text messaging. I recently met a girl and I had to actually talk on the phone and I was so not used to it because all I do is text message, However I am getting my phone eitquette back...BTW..Your really cute!!!!

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   
As you said, you lost your way with the phone. But how could this happen? We can freaking call people in outer space and hear their voice! But nope, people see ... . .. . .. .... . .. . as a more advanced way! Text messaging, I'll admit, is some thing I have done. But I've been trying to go back to the actual talking. It is better to hear a persons voice. You can tell sarcasm, happiness, love, from a voice. ... . .. ... .. .. .... . . . ..? Nope, you can't.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I participate in boards online such as ATS as a way of communication, but that's it.

I hate text messaging, and refuse to do it. If what you have to say to me isn't important enough to call me and say it personally, I don't want to hear it.

End of story.

top topics

join