It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ultimate superfood...sardines?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   
A nurse friend (and fellow super-food enthusiast) just scanned and emailed me this report she found in a current medical publication.
The author gave permission to copy\share his article.

"Sardines. Nasty, right? Only your weird uncle eats them. They come in a tin, tightly packed together, they're messy, and they stink. Why would anyone eat sardines in the 21st century? At least that's what we used to think. Turns out high quality sardines don't stink. The tin may be a little tricky to open, but you're not going to fall backwards from an overwhelming pungent odor when you finally peel away the lid. While they are messy, it's nothing a little fork work can't bring under control. Yes, they may appear unappetizing, but if you enjoy the taste of fish, you will be pleasantly surprised with the flavor of premium sardines. And if you're a sushi lover, we guarantee you'll like sardines.

Some sardine trivia: They are named after the isle of Sardinia. There actually is no fish named a “sardine” They are members of the herring family. What constitutes a good canned sardine? Taste of course, but besides taste, there is appearance. Good sardines should be uniform in length and width. They should have firm pinkish flesh with silvery skin, and should be tightly and evenly laid in the tin. When opened, the aroma should be mild and pleasant. The bed of oily sauce should be heavy and clear. The Portuguese co-op fisheries’ sardines meet all these standards for quality.

Now for the good stuff: From “10 Miracle Foods” by David Green, M.D.:
Miracle food from the sea… Fishes that contain high levels of EFA rank #1 on the list, and topping the list is sardines. Many Mediterranean people in their 80s and 90s attribute their good health and longevity to sardines.

Sardines are one of the few foods that contain Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10 for short)—a heart-healthy nutrient that increases the energy in your cells, promotes a healthy immune system, fights free radicals, and even helps you maintain healthy gums. Sardines are also one of the best, if not THE best source of heart-healthy omega-3 oils. By now, everyone is aware of the benefits to the heart and circulatory system. Omega-3 oils are also important for maintaining healthy skin. Plus, they may protect against free radical damage which is a factor in aging skin. In addition to CoQ10, these little nutritional powerhouses are also ample sources of vitamin B12, calcium, selenium, protein, phosphorus and vitamin D.

Ounce for ounce, sardines provide more calcium and phosphorus than milk, more protein than steak, more potassium than bananas, and more iron than cooked spinach. Most Americans have never eaten a real sardine. Why? Because about 40 years ago, a law was passed that allowed manufacturers to market any small boned fish as a "sardine" in North America. As a result, many so-called sardines are really brislings, sprats, or other less-tasty fish that come from the Atlantic.

True sardines, called Sardinia Pilchardus, come from Mediterranean waters. In the Mediterranean region, they are typically served with olive oil, lemon, and garlic. People say they don't like sardines because of the fishy smell or taste, but they only taste fishy when they're not fresh. In the USA, our best sources for high-quality sardines are usually health food supermarkets. I’ve found brands from Portugal that are packed fresh within 8 hours of catching, and not frozen. These fresh sardines are delicious. You must be selective when shopping for your sardines. I consume an extremely nutritious mix of foods. In fact, you could call me a fanatic. At 56, I’m more physically fit than most people half my age. I jog, perform resistance exercise, and do relaxation\meditation exercises daily. That said, I’m always looking for additional “edges” in my quest for optimal health and fitness.

After eating fresh sardines 2-3 times a week for 30 days, I’ve noticed my hair is thicker, my skin looks more vibrant, my memory and overall mental alertness have improved, and 3 chronic sore\stiff joints (A knee, a wrist and a shoulder) have healed! I encourage you to add sardines to your diet. They’re truly a little miracle from the sea!"

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Yes, it is widely accepted that sardines contain a lot of nutrients types. There are two problems that stop me from adopting heavy sardine diet - i can get them only in cans with conservatives and other junk/ i do not know where they got caught and if they can have toxins inside - like heavy metals and such. All (well, a lot of) food supply is contaminated with potentially bad stuff but if you choose one certain type specifically and rely on it as main part of your diet toxins that they might have will accumulate and body might not get rid of them. However if you can make certain that you use freshly caught (and not in polluted water) sardines - i say go for it.

join