It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Exaggerated pain/startle response

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I hear sounds in association with certain stimuli. Pain for me is associated with a loud whooshing sound, almost like wind, and the sound is not my heart racing or blood rushing (I am familiar with that as well, and that is a different sound). Also sudden surprises are accompanied by a similar sound; it is very like a cascade of audio 'snow' as my neural net sends out a powerful, loud, and scrambled signal for a split second.

It is accompanied by a physical jolt, like electricity through my body - in fact it feels very much like an electric shock. There is a small but measurable startle response which freezes up my whole system for a second, a lot like a newborn baby's startle response, or moro reflex:

Moro Reflex

Normally babies outgrow this reflex early on, and I did too, but in the past five years or so it seems to be coming back.

It began when I had a bad case of strep throat several years ago which became systemic. I had migrating pain in my joints, and at that time I started hearing a noise every time I put weight on my feet. So when I walked, I heard "swoosh swoosh swoosh" internally. It was always clear that this noise was coming from within, not without, as would occur with a hallucination.

Does anyone else here have any ideas what might be causing this? Or have you experienced something similar?

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I have a very exaggerated startle response, like an electrical jolt. I do have neurological symptoms associated with fibromyalgia and myofascial pain syndrome. I figure this was one of the issues. I think I also experience that "woosh" you are talking about when I am startled, but not when I am just walking. Could your blood pressure be an issue? Have you had your heart checked at all? Have you been to a neurologist? Sometimes you can hear I have a low blood pressure, and i sometimes get light-headed when I stand up. Are you a tall female? I am just trying to help. I don't want to go off topic by mentioning my illness, just so you know.

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by raven bombshell
I have a very exaggerated startle response, like an electrical jolt.

I think I also experience that "woosh" you are talking about when I am startled, but not when I am just walking.

I heard it when walking only during the acute phase of the illness. These days I only get it when I am getting into bed if my skin is dry, because for some reason that is very painful to me (weird) - and also when I have a sudden pain or surprise.

It is exactly like an electrical jolt.

Could your blood pressure be an issue? Have you had your heart checked at all? Have you been to a neurologist?

According to my doctor my heart is fine. I have low to normal blood pressure. No I have never been to a neurologist; it never seemed serious enough to warrant that.

I sometimes get light-headed when I stand up.

This only happens to me when I am dieting and for me it is never associated with a sound.

Are you a tall female?

I am short, 5'2"

And LOL I always go off topic talking about myself; it's a fault of mine. No harm done.

And thank you for your reply!

[edit on 17-11-2008 by OuttaHere]

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 10:40 PM
link   
No problem I wasn't much help. lol. When I went to the neurologist she was surprised I had not been referred earlier due to history of migraine. I had always thought of a visit to the neurologist as something rare for very serious symptoms. Maybe you should talk to your doctor and see if you need a visit to the neuro just in case. Is your dry/painful skin a symptom of another condition?

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by raven bombshell
Is your dry/painful skin a symptom of another condition?

No, when I gain weight my skin gets stretched to its limits and it is very dry here.

Second line.

[edit on 17-11-2008 by OuttaHere]

new topics

top topics

join