Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Introduction to Atlantology

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Time wasted Hans. Its much more fruitful to go beyond the mundane than fight with people unwilling to suspend their materialist belief-system.

Sorry no, if proven it would be a major world shaking discovery. To be blunt you don't take the time and effort to prove this because you know you cannot.

I do feel a bit sorry for the time some Atlantologists waste trying to convince the die-hard skeptic.

Do the proof scientifically and everyone gains, do what you are doing now and you just waste people's time.

I have not seen a single one of these type of people swayed by evidence in the more-than-a-decade Ive been involved.

Thats because you won't go thru the scientific process to prove it. You just want the claim to be accepted without proof - ain't gonna happen.

What about your claim to have studied some of the stuff listed? Lets see some of that.

Side stepping Sky? LOL. I'm talking about you providing a scientifically valid backup to a claim you made. I'm not making a scientific claim, I'm making a claim for knowledge. I think I've proved more than once to have knowledge in a large number of areas. I'll make you a deal. You go prove you can speak foreign languages without learinng them and you can give me a test.

Ah Sky you do realize that we aren't believers? I'm well aware that in the believers' world asking for proof of claims is considered rather rude. One doesn't do that. In the non-believers world you wouldn't put forth such a claim without already having the evidence.

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Nohup

Howdy Nohup

Forgotten yes but the effects on the genetics of the plants would remain. I think what you're saying is that you think Atlantis had some sorta of influence on agriculture - which is not supported by what we know about the domestication of the known crop plants. So we could say that we are speculating on this attribute.

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jay-in-AR
I'm sure it could have. I was just making mention of it as a speculative guess. I have always found that quite intriguing, though.

The fact that odd things have been found in odd places, suggesting that world trade might have been more common than previously thought, helps fuel speculation about other human activities, such as building civilizations. Knowledge sometimes rises, then is sometimes lost. That, we know for sure. Whether that happened with someplace called "Atlantis" is the subject of the debate.

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Trade leaves traces. The alleged coc aine trade theory had substantial problems with it. But then I think we are going off topic. There are a number of threads on it and if you are interested restart one of the existing ones. When considering this take a close look at the actual age of Mummies. Many were from historical times.

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune
Forgotten yes but the effects on the genetics of the plants would remain. I think what you're saying is that you think Atlantis had some sorta of influence on agriculture - which is not supported by what we know about the domestication of the known crop plants. So we could say that we are speculating on this attribute.

Hopefully, further advancements in genetics will give us a clearer picture of where certain crops (and people) might have originated or at least have felt an influence. If the influence was only the knowledge that was passed along, however, and applied to local crops only, it wouldn't show up in the genetics. But it might show up in the ancient literature as a wise person or people coming from a long distance and teaching the locals how to do it. And there are quite a few stories like that around.

But, yes, it's all speculation until we get more data to work with.

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Nohup

Agreed. Where some crops came from is well known (one of precursors to wheat has been ID to a very small area of a few hundred square Km)

Of the top of my head I cannot think of one crop that started on the west or east of Europe/Africa or the Americas. Most came from elsewhere.*

Hey Nohup I'd like go into this in more details - I'll start a thread on this in a bit.

*This presume a classic Atlantic Atlantis

[edit on 17/11/08 by Hanslune]

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Hallo Skyfloating,

I like your thought of one global civilazation. Therefore, I wanted to add a article to your research that I find very supportive of the idea.

The article is about a archeological discovery of stones slabs by professor Chuvyrov, which he named The map of “The creator”.

I could not find this information on ATS so I am posting it on this thread.

My native language is not English so I do not want to spoil the article.

Please read, because I am really interested what you and other members have to say.

The article english.pravda.ru...

Foto gallery , The Creator map: www.bibliotecapleyades.net...

Maps of the mentioned : www.fosar-bludorf.com...

If needed I can translate the last link dut to the fact it is on German language.

Thank you and have a nice day!!

Greetings from Croatia

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

Of course it was creditable. It was creditable to him.... The question is whether or not it was credible.

LOL

Jaden

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 06:59 PM
link   
By BBC News Online's Tom Housden

The remains of what has been described as a huge lost city may force historians and archaeologists to radically reconsider their view of ancient human history.
Marine scientists say archaeological remains discovered 36 metres (120 feet) underwater in the Gulf of Cambay off the western coast of India could be over 9,000 years old.
The vast city - which is five miles long and two miles wide - is believed to predate the oldest known remains in the subcontinent by more than 5,000 years.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Mod Note: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 18/11/08 by Jbird]

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 07:30 PM
link   
what is weird is today is the first day i have looked at this topic, and on the same day ancient ruins are found..

awesome.

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

Thank you.

I´ll have a look when I have time. No need for translation, I can read German.

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   

I did not provide that bit of information as a piece for scientific scrutiny but to explain why I choose to view channeling as valid - sometimes.

Im not making any claims that I can prove anything, neither do I need to prove anything to you. This thread is speculation only.

Oddly enough, you are rarely willing to discuss anything but more intent on attacking.

Dont you have anything to share on Atlantis?

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Central America just pops out the most numerous temple works on the planet and people just say they just got there by by a trickle load of people coming down from the Berring Straight. The Northern states would have been more populated by Native Americans if that were the case. Just admit the Mesoamerican culture started in the center and worked their way north and south from the epicenter.

But how did they get in the center in the first place?

I say Western Europe and Western Africa played a part with the Asian migrators.

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Didn't they find proof of Romans interacting with the Aztecs? Like found Roman coins and stuff in South America? Kind of hard to think they met way back then right? or what about that map they found that showed SA and Antartica centuries before either one was found by modern Europe AND it showed Antartica with out ice! Let me look... www.bibliotecapleyades.net... english.pravda.ru... www.nymapsociety.org...

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by merka

Originally posted by Skyfloating
Conventional Archaeology and History does not recognize advanced “pre-historic” civilizations. According to conventional archaeology/history we were primitive hunter-gatherers before 5000 B.C.

That's not really what the conventional archaelogy and history states though. There is evidence of the cities even older than 5000 BC. Isnt the first Jericho walls dated to like 7000 BC (let alone how old the city is)? And they werent hunter gatherers, but rather farmers...

Anyway, just reacted to this. Still reading the rest of the post, lol.

I am here not to argue that civilization did not exist before 5000B.C.. but I do want to let you know that finding the age of civilization based on monuments will not be appropriate because carbon dating on stone structure will not be right thing for 2 main reasons. 1) There are very few carbon to date in stones whereas is more of silica. 2) The dating on stones might give you only the date of the formation of the stone but not when the stone is actually cut or carved into a structure.

cheers!

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by GamerGal

Hey GamerGirl,
Its good to see a follow Mainer on here... The map i think you speak of is the Piri Reis map. It is a map that was supposedly compiled from "twenty older charts and eight planispheres".

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by the_spark

If you are here to argue that civilization did not exist before that time. What are you basing your argument on? Just the fact that evidence has not proven otherwise up to this point? Or do you have any deeper scientific information to back that up. I obviously cannot prove there were intelligent civilizations years ago, but i also am open minded enough to realize the possibility. Its a scientific fact that the ocean levels raised a great bit near 10 thousand years ago due to a huge flood. And I realize that a vast majority of people live near coastal areas, back then even more than now due to our advanced travel abilities. So in my opinion, if we used all our available technology and resources to explore under the sea, we may be surprised to find things that date back to earlier times then what we have recorded. Yes its possible artifacts for the most part may be lost forever, but structures may still have survived the test of time. To me its not hard to believe that there were people that were pretty intelligent 10 thousand years ago. They got wiped out by the flood and only a few survived having to start all over again. If a nuke wiped our our way of life, and for example crushed all our technology. I wouldnt know how to prove to my kids that such a thing as a computer or the internet existed at one time. But that doesnt mean it didnt exist!

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by interestedalways

I am just part way through your link but this very much reminds me of the book "Where Troy Once Stood" by Iman Wilkens. He contended that Troy was not originally in Turkey but near Cambridge. That the Athenians were French and uses linguistics to mark the route of the Odessy to move from that area back to southern France.

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Hanslune its like this. There will always be skeptics. You can show them all the scientific evidence on issues and no matter what certain elements will not believe so your idea that showing scientific evidence will make peoples minds up is a fallacy. Example...

Darwin's Theory of Evolution. There is scientific evidence to back it up. I personally however dont believe we came from apes.

That is just one example of many that I dont want to get into because I dont want to derail the thread. I personally feel that an advanced civilization did exist. Whether or not it was called Atlantis is another issue. We are still digging up pyramids and other buildings even to this day we cant explain. Im sure there is a lot underground that we still have not found. I do know this and that is we didnt come from apes 10,000 years ago. If we were apes or neanderthals or whatever we sure as hell were not building pyramids and intricate buildings in South America. That is just my opinion however.

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Atlantis is one of my favorite subject! I recently completed a book by Charles Berlitz, Atlantis:The Eighth Continent , and a book by Jess Stearn, Edgar Cayce: The Sleeping Prophet.

A thought came to me while reading this thread. I think we need to expend more money and research into our oceans, because as a race, humans may desperately need to glean all the knowledge they can from the horrible mistakes of our distant and sunken past.

If Atlantis is truly a "blanket" term to describe an advanced ancient culture, that was global, look what happened according to the myths: Atlantis was destroyed. Now, what the destructive force was, I don't know yet. But let's look at today's world. We are moving towards a global culture and I do believe in a few centuries we will be a global world (again?).

We need to learn about the destruction that shattered ancient civilization. It may be the only way we can keep ourselves going on in the future!

I enjoyed the link about Xylanthia, Interested. It was a very interesting theory!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join