It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Freemasonry Membership Card

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Great post, LLM. Just wanted to point out one thing:

Originally posted by LowLevelMason
The York Rite national body is styled the Grand Encampment and the national bodies of the Scottish Rite are called Supreme Councils.

The Grand Encampment only covers the Grand Commanderies of Knights Templar in the York Rite. They have no jurisdiction over the Grand Chapters of Royal Arch Masons and Grand Councils of Cryptic Masons in the various states.

There is a General Grand Chapter of Royal Arch Masons International and General Grand Council of Cryptic Masons International that serve much the same function as the Grand Encampment, except their jurisdiction extends to Mexico, Canada, and Ireland.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Masonic Light

Ah thanks for the clarification. As I've said before I'm not a York Rite member myself so I am fairly clueless about the organization - but I saw the Grand Encampment website and assumed
And we know what happens when you do that...

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Thank you guys for the good info!!!

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Masonic Light
There is a General Grand Chapter of Royal Arch Masons International and General Grand Council of Cryptic Masons International that serve much the same function as the Grand Encampment, except their jurisdiction extends to Mexico, Canada, and Ireland.

And to further confuse things, almost every individual State in the U.S. has a Grand Chapter of Royal Arch Masons and a Grand Council of Royal & Select Masters, and it is up to those bodies to decide if they belong to the General Grand Chapter or the General Grand Council...so the "General" groups are not sovereign over every jurisdiction like the Grand Encampment is over the various Grand Commanderies.

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   
One thing that was not mentioned is that there is such a thing as a liftime membership that can be granted by the blue lodge and a lifetime membership that can be purchased for the Scottish Rite (at least in the valley of wilmington, southern juristiction). That might be considered a gold card.

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by network dude

I think those people still get dues cards every year. I think you would have to with the Scottish Rite because you must maintain blue lodge membership in order to be a member. Otherwise you'd have a situation where people could get kicked out/leave their blue lodge and still walk around with a lifetime membership Scottish Rite card which would be invalid.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   
i4.ebayimg.com...

Just wanted to throw this on here, this was similar to what my friend has.

edited to add comments

[edit on 11-7-2009 by Jnewell33]

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jnewell33
i4.ebayimg.com...

Just wanted to throw this on here, this was similar to what my friend has.

edited to add comments

[edit on 11-7-2009 by Jnewell33]

This is a Master Mason (3rd Degree) card issued by the Grand Lodge of Alabama. It's similar to membership cards issued by other Grand Lodges (each one is a little different) If your friend is, indeed, a 33rd Degree Scottish Rite Mason, he would have a card similar to the one you sent the link to. It would have the Grand Lodge of the State in which you reside, the name and number of his lodge, and his name stating that he is a Master Mason in good standing. These are issued each year when dues are paid.

Additionally he would have a card from the Ancient & Accepted Scottish Rite of Freemasonry (either Northern or Southern Jurisdiction...depends on which state he became a member in) and it would have his name with "33 Degree" afterwards. These, too, are issued each year when dues are paid.

So a member of any appendant Masonic body (like the Scottish Rite) would have at least two dues cards sent to him each year. A lot of us have several cards sent because we belong to various other Masonic groups and pay dues to each.

As an interesting aside to some on this list who believe the 33rd Degree is "highest" or that 33rd Degree Members have more authority, etc. Lets say that a 33rd Degree Scottish Rite Mason did not pay his 3rd Degree Dues to the local lodge and was suspended. He's immediately suspended from the Scottish Rite as well.

If he is expelled from the local (3rd Degree/Master Mason) Lodge, he is expelled from the 33rd Degree (and any other Masonic group to which he belongs) too!

The Master Mason (3rd Degree) is indeed the Highest Degree of Freemasonry, despite the higher numbers used by the Scottish Rite.

EDIT TO ADD:

There's a scan of a Scottish Rite 32nd Degree Dues Card here;

s286.photobucket.com...

The card is the same for K.C.C.H. (Knight Commander of the Court of Honour) and the 33rd Degree members.

[edit on 11-7-2009 by senrak]

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Thanks for all of the valuable info. His apron wasn't all fancy like the ones you would see in a documentary, but rather a basic plain white one with some writing on back of it. He has referred to himself as Knights Templar. Although I have no doubt he is a mason, I have also come to the conclusion he enjoys playing with the imaginary aspect of the whole mystique, or in other word likes to tell stories, lol.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join