It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Once Voice, One Message (divided we fail, again)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Some Americans hope America will hear their voices, by turning their voice into one powerful voice shouting its protest of Prop 8. For those who don’t know: Prop 8 bans gay marriage in the state of California, it was put to a vote and passed by a slim margin. Why were some people encouraged to speak their minds on this issue? The impression I got from my fellow protesters was that Prop 8 lawfully affects them and their families, or their friends and friends families, or that they simply believe in equality for all and don’t support gay couples being denied marriage; especially when the alternatives to marriage do not give homosexual couples all of the same rights (or privileges). (I did not make this thread to discuss Prop 8 being right or wrong, or to discuss gays in general, I just wanted to sum up the views of the protesters I’ve met and why they are protesting- for those who don’t know or don't understand why.)

I made this thread because I am so proud of those Americans right now, doing what they can to make their voices heard, despite the fact that Prop 8 has passed and the fight may well be over, these Americans want America to know how they feel and that they will continue to fight for a cause they feel passionate about. I can’t help but think, which might be a surge of naivety coming from the spectacle I’ve taken part in, that whether you oppose Prop 8 or were for it that if you had felt the energy of these crowds you too would have felt glad to see Americans protesting, clinging to an often dismissed notion that their protest means something, as does fighting for something you believe in.

Imagine what we might accomplish if other Americans did as these protesters have been doing. Could we actually have our voices heard? Could the media ignore some movements as it does if we left the computer desk and protested it together at our separate city halls and then in larger rallies in certain areas across the nation as these protesters have been doing?

Maybe instead of focusing on issues that divide us, like Prop 8 has successfully done- which is the fault of BOTH sides, we should focus on issues that bring us together. Am I wrong to say that there are no longer issues the majority of us can agree on? Important issues that most of us would like to hear our voices heard on? Has the government divided us so successfully that we will bicker over Presidential candidates for months and rally behind one of our choosing yet we can never stand divided on one important issue enough to protest that issue with one potent voice?

The problem is not just the “them” that we blame everything on, the problem is us too. Think about this financial crisis, and how focused we were on the election that even when the majority of average citizens did not want a bail out plan passed and many did not understand it even, it passed. Were we out protesting that? Were we out protesting it after a business that received money that will be taken out of our taxes was sending their employees on luxurious trips? No, we were at our computers bitching at one another about McCain or Obama or Palin or Paul.

We are all guilty of playing into this distraction in one way or another, I’m probably more guilty than most. I’m saddened by it and disappointed in myself and disappointed that we are no longer even upset at our division; we disguise it as something else and are proud to be on one side of the argument.

I’m no longer proud of that. I was energized by the protest I took part in, but I am not proud that it was one that focuses on an issue that divides so many of us. I thought it was right to protest and I care about this issue, but what I care about the most is this stupid, hateful mentality of us against them. We should not turn our differences into something that divides us; can we not disagree with out being against each other anymore? I really am beside myself right now because I regret so much that I have supported that mentality, however indirectly, I have.

I wish there was one message that we could all be able to create one voice with. Everyone disagrees on some issues but I still have hope that there are some things we can agree on, important things that I wish to focus on more. Hope and wishing won’t get things done, but for now I don’t think there is much I can do but deny the divided mentality that has rules us for so long.

This is a huge, successful conspiracy people, and we are all in on it.

[edit on 17-11-2008 by rapinbatsisaltherage]

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Hey my pal rapin bats! Seems as though we're taking a illusory step forward by inaugurating a man of color into presidency, yet everything else is being banned and/or severely restricted.

It's not just gays they are oppressing. have you seen what has happened to the art scene since capitalism destroyed indie artforms in the early 90s?
Gays may be feeling the heat right now, but pretty soon, ANYone who is diverting from the path of the great big invisible machine will be crushed. This ste is on its way, sadly. Maybe it's not entirely the owners'. fault. It's not entirely my drummers' fault that the band is being severely disrupted because of the economic squeeze.

Revolt hard. Free love, baby!

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 01:46 AM
link   
I agree and I share your concerns with prop 8.

Let me ask you a question.

If your rights were taken away based on a vote what would you do? Remember, the people voted on the Jim Crow laws too. The difference here is that they had the rights but they were taken away from them. It would be like if the Jim Crow laws were reinstated. In some schools in the south they still are segregated.

Just with that in perspective... I think that you're right that we should all move on from these ultra-controversial issues. It's what is keeping the government from functioning. Why is there so much disagreement with people in power? Can't they just move on from issues that keep people from having rights? I think that the entire government is at fault for letting these kinds of faith-based agendas and other kinds of contrevorsial agendas for tearing the nation apart.

I currently think that our government is too corrupt. I think Hugo Chavez is right. We need to make a new constitution and overthrow this current system. Maybe we could keep Obama and his people but I don't trust the government as a whole and I never have. I only trust a few individual people within the government but not all of them. I trust my state congressman more than the others because I know his views.

I just wish that the government would move on from this state of corruption. There are a lot of factors that cause it. Money, the federal reserve, the IRS, the banking system, and several laws regarding the practices of businesses and workers rights, and, laws regarding abortion and other moralistic views, and, laws regarding trade and the free market. Just, I think this divisiveness.

The million dollar question is: how do we solve the corruption? We'd have to completely rework the system to get this mess of our government fixed.

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 01:49 AM
link   
There have been warnings and messages of "cleaning up government" now for the past 10 years, and now people are starting to pay attention and doing something about it!! Kudos!!

But I have to say....had people paid attention and heeded the warnings 10 years ago, and not been so passive, things would be alot different today.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 01:57 AM
link   
There really is only one solution. Abolish government in favor of natural communism. That is... no central power anywhere. Just people cooperating to get things done. Nobody is cooperating right now, and this is the result of capitalism.... no matter what you call it.... capitalizing upon the misfortunes of others has been around for quite a few thousand years and it never works. Neither does government of any sort. You could say government and capitalism are one in the same. Gays aren't profitable because they don't create offspring and tend to be very independent spirits, not as bound by "traditional" value systems instilled by the system at large. Anything that doesn't further the agenda of the machine will be targeted and crushed.

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 10:24 AM
link   

The million dollar question is: how do we solve the corruption? We'd have to completely rework the system to get this mess of our government fixed.

People are getting so exhausted with the system though that they are actually starting to consider this option. That is significant for us, for so long Americans have feared viewing their country through a mirror and honestly judging its reflection. For a long time the “powers that be” have scared the people into thinking that re-working the system will mean we’ll become some sort of communist regime. I don’t think all the scare tactics are working anymore, people are more desperate than scared now, however that can be dangerous too. We need to be careful that our desperation for something new does not cloud our judgment.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by dunwichwitch

Hey, interesting concepts. I think the first thing we need to do is to abolish the central banking system, but when it comes to issues like that I have no solid solution, I can’t even guess as to how consumer obsessed America would react to rejecting this warped economic structure we have that is not true capitalism.

Well, sadly sometimes I think you are right about them doing away with those who do not follow their will, if we don’t completely destroy each other first.

new topics

top topics

join