It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Goods for Guns Offer ... Turn In Guns and Get $100 Gift Card To Acme

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I was driving along the highway today and saw a billboard that said Goods For Guns ... turn in a gun and get a $100 gift card no ?'s asked with the date for the event .... what is seriously happening? why do they want the peoples only real form of protection? .... so i looked up some info on the internet and here's an article that was posted about the event....

$100 gift cards offered to people who turn in weapons

By Kathy Antoniotti Beacon Journal staff writer

POSTED: 01:34 p.m. EDT, Oct 23, 2008 Sponsors of the Goods for Guns program are hoping that the promise of a full belly and a tank full of gas will lure people to turn in their guns in exchange for $100 gift cards for Acme Fresh Markets.

The dates for the program, Nov. 21 and 22, were strategically selected this year to coincide with Thanksgiving because it's a time when thoughts traditionally turn to travel and food, authorities said.

Last year, the event sponsored by the Summit County Crimestoppers, the Sheriff's Office, the Akron Police Department and several private corporations and nonprofit agencies removed 950 guns from the streets.

This year, Crimestoppers hopes to purchase enough gift cards to increase that number and buy 1,200 guns.

In 2007, the program ran out of gift cards before the public ran out of guns. ''About 15 people turned in guns without receiving gift cards and the rest of them left,'' said Christine Croce, executive director of administration for the Summit County Sheriff's Office and the secretary/treasurer of Crimestoppers Inc.

After authorities left, a stream of people continued to the Jerusalem Baptist Church, said Marc Neal, who has served as pastor of the church for 15 years. Not all of them went away empty handed, he said.

''I will admit to it, I wrote a couple of checks to some of the people who came late,'' Neal said Thursday. ''There were people who were really in need. Some of them had small children in their cars. I'm a sucker for things like that.''

Police will be on hand to accept and secure the weapons. People bringing in guns won't be asked to identify themselves. Various organizations, including the city of Akron and Crimestoppers have pledged about half the amount needed for the program, and sponsors are asking the public to contribute the rest.

''It's a charitable donation and a tax deduction,'' Croce said. Sponsors hope to raise an additional $65,000 for the program.

Sponsors of the Goods for Guns program are hoping that the promise of a full belly and a tank full of gas will lure people to turn in their guns in exchange for $100 gift cards for Acme Fresh Markets.

Source

I think it's interesting how they won't even ask a question and won't ask for an identity they just want the weapons by any means necessary ... i mean yeah they might that's a big might reduce crime, but they're also leaving a bunch of the people defenseless....

[edit on 16-11-2008 by baseball101]

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 10:47 PM
link   
ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!

And I will laugh even harder if anyone actually follows through with it!!!!

Cheers!!!!!

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Ya I can see it now...a thug criminal who doesnt give a rat's arse about anything or anyone and would do anything to get what they want even kill for it, is going to suddenly have a change of heart and turn in their illegal guns to fill a gut.

ROFLMAO!!!!!!

Cheers!!!!

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

haha i know especially with the world how it is now-a-days.... it still boggles my mind though that they somehow got 950 guns last year....

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I would imagine that the only people who would be turning them in for money are honest law abiding citizens who need that 100.00 to feed their family .. if it came down to food to feed the family or their gun ..most of them would choose to have food *(would do it for the family ) . especially the ones who dont hunt for food at all .....................

I dont expect too many thugs in though ..even though they would do anything for money ...they would be too afraid they would go to jail...............

I remember this in Texas a few years back in our town ..not sure how many they got ...guess I should have tried to find out ..

[edit on 16-11-2008 by Simplynoone]

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Yes, I would be very interested to see WHAT they got. I bet 95% of these were broken junk weapons as anyone with half a brain can get more that 100 bucks for any decent other than total junk firearm. Seriously, 100 bucks? Please, I see a bunch of broken up rusty .22 s and broken thug pistols.

Edit: Yeah, I forgot... no questions asked... that's the story. Where else can you ditch STOLEN firearms.. those are much more difficult to unload at a pawn shop or gun dealer.

OK, think I have my answer...

[edit on 16-11-2008 by infolurker]

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 11:58 PM
link   
They had one of those guns for gift card bull in Calif a few years ago and i brought in a slightly rusty 20mm i had removed from a old airplane crash site.
might as will i could not get ammo for it.

I got the gift card.
The funny part was to see the reporters face when the cops told her what the big gun was.
i still think the reporter thought that i really was a working 20mm.

The bad part of these gun swaps is
1 The cops "never" return stolen guns from these swaps to there rightful owners.
they never even tell the rightful owners that the gun was recovered.

2 it gives thieves a safe way to make a profit from there crimes.
steal a gun and get a $100 gift card. Crime pays.

3 The cops never ballistically test these guns and they are lost to solving crimes.

[edit on 16-11-2008 by ANNED]

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by infolurker
[I bet 95% of these were broken junk weapons as anyone with half a brain can get more that 100 bucks for any decent other than total junk firearm.]

Star for you! That's what the police DON'T tell the public... Most weapons 'surrendered' are hideous, laughable pieces of junk that are only worth their money in scrap metal value.

The NWO can kid themselves all they want. John and Jane Q Public is saving up the creme a la creme of their collections just in case push comes to punch.

It's just sad how the PTB 'spins' a joke that's on them to try make it seem like they're succeeding

Oh well, not my problem. The joke's on them

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Where is this held, and the dates and times of the offer? Much appreciated, Thanks.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Where I once lived they did this every year. It was a battle to get the city and the cops to release the statistics.

The guns that are turned in are from adult who have recently lost a parent and left some guns in their estate and didnt know what to do with them, are elderly widows/widowers who had a gun around the house from their spouse, are broken non-function arms that is they werent traded for a gift card would just be destroyed and thrown out, MOST of the guns turned in come from dealers who are getting rid of stock that is worth less than the turn-in value. We had one guy from a pawn shop pull up a car and empty a trunk load of crappy and busted guns.

Like any punk kid who sees his illegal gun as a tool of his drug-dealing gang-banging ways is going to turn in a gun for any reason?

There are some studies out there that show these buy-back programs actually increase the number of illegal guns on the street through theft incentives (steal a gun and get $100 no questions asked) and crooked authorities or holes in the system that causes numerous guns to turn up 'missing' or be 'lost' after collection.

Buy-backs are another pointless attempt to make idiots feel good about being idiots in the best case. In the wort case they promote burglary and reward criminal behavior.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Just read that this year, along with gift certificates, they are also giving everyone a free flu shot. Crazy.

Link

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
All the stupid sheep line up to get sheared and turn in their wool.

The government will keep them warm now.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Somebody's momma who finds the kid's saturday night special will turn it in for a $100 voucher but most guns today are worth several times that...a decent AR rifle is close to $1000 and you can spend twice that or more for higher calibers. It is doubtful someone would take a loss like that.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by infolurker
Edit: Yeah, I forgot... no questions asked... that's the story. Where else can you ditch STOLEN firearms.. those are much more difficult to unload at a pawn shop or gun dealer.

OK, think I have my answer...

We have a winner!

This is a classic case of providing an incentive for the dregs of society to do what the government cannot legally do. They float a carrot out there hoping that homes will be broken into, firearms stolen, then turned in to a system which will never check serial numbers to ensure the weapons weren't reported stolen before destroying them.

ETA: *Facepalm* Just saw the date of the post I replied to...

edit on 19-12-2012 by burdman30ott6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
i dont think its to bad.

many of the guns will be coming from street gang types, and likely many of them were previously stolen guns.
its kinda of a win-win-win situation for them all around. especially when its no questions asked.

those who actually need to defend themselves know better then to do this trade anyways.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by baseball101

haha i know especially with the world how it is now-a-days.... it still boggles my mind though that they somehow got 950 guns last year....

There are a lot of real crappy guns out there working or not....

BTW does a homemade gun count? I can make a gun (or 1000 evil grin) from a metal pipe and a nail trigger.

I just might be a millionaire very soon....

edit on 23-12-2012 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

top topics

join