It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Definition of "Noob"...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 03:08 AM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

That's not fair. Change it to 'newbie' and I'll be content. It's so much cuter.

Oh my look at that post bar. I guess you can't be a newbie or noob ashley.

Ok I guess "noob" should go by post bar..

0-20 posts = ATS little bity baby
21-199 posts = ATS "noob" aka newbie
200-999 posts = ATS Journeyman
1000-1999 posts = ATS Veteran
2000-3999 posts = ATS Pro
4000-9999 posts = ATS Hardcore
10000+ posts = ATS Underground Addict

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 03:39 AM
link   
I personally do not like the term n00b in reference to my membership at this forum. Personally I have been a lurker of this site since 2004 and only decided to join this year. I am not really 100% sure why I decided to become a member but I did. Seeing as how I have been visiting here for quite some time now, I do not feel as if I am a n00b, but unfortunately since I only came up with a screen name this year(as opposed to using the good ole "Anonymous" ID) I am going to be labeled as someone that just discovered this place in May.

It is a little unfair to be calling people n00bs just because they have a membership of less than one year old. Quite honestly it is disrespectful and really goes against the motto of this site. "DENY IGNORANCE"

How about instead of labeling people, we take a step back, regroup and decide to work together to make this site a friendly and accepting place.

Remember you can't judge a book by its copyright date.

JesterMan

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by JesterMan

How about instead of labeling people, we take a step back, regroup and decide to work together to make this site a friendly and accepting place

Hmm...

What about using the post count to decide what noob is? I mean there has to be some way we can label people noobs or??

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Scramjet76

I know this is a bit of a revolutionary mindset but wouldn't you prefer quality over quantity?

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Scramjet76

What about using the post count to decide what noob is? I mean there has to be some way we can label people noobs or??

Why label people "noobs" at all? Seriously. Why? What is to gain? Nobody else will actually benefit from it other than a few insecure people who get to feel a bit smug because they're not the 'noob' and a bit of relief from knowing that, perhaps for the first times in their lives, they're not the bottom of some sad pecking order.

Why the need to call someone a 'noob' like a badge or a label? Don't people's actual posts actually speak well enough or loud enough as to whether they're a 'noob'? Surely that's all that matters? What people actually say? If you think someone has something worthwhile to contribute then give them credit. If you don't, then either ignore them or pick them up on it within the thread and actually contribute yourself. Calling someone a 'noob' contributes nothing in itself.

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 06:09 AM
link   
I still consider myself a "noob"

Why?

Because I have barely scratched the surface of all the knowledge on this site.

It's quality that matters, and frankly, I couldn't care less how long someone has been here if what they write makes for good, informative reading - the very last thing I look at is a members date of joining.

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by JesterMan & Merriman Weir

Relax peeps. Like Budski said, we are all noobs and pros.

I just find this whole noob thing to be hilarious.

Seems we were just dicussing the same thing not long ago on CallofDuty4 Forums... but that's for a videogame.

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 09:29 AM
link   
I don't think it's the posters start date or post count that makes them a noob. It's more of their inability to post or respond to someone else's posts without automatically going into defense mode if someone disagrees with them, and their inability to post without getting outright rude and condescending merely because they think they are right and everyone else is stupid for not conceding to their "superior" logic. Of course, I define "troll" the same way, so maybe that's just me.

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   
A word overused in the realm of Runescape.

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by NGC2736
As "OutaHere" said, everyone was new at some point.

The fact is, your posting reflects the "you" of this moment, and we're all in a time machine set in motion towards the future.

I'm an old man, and when I look back at "me" of just a quarter century past, I hardly know the fella. And don't much like him, either.

So true, so true..in particular the second sentence. I would definitely be considered a newbie here but some of you that have been her a long time, if you read back would you still agree with everything you posted, have your opinions changed at all, are you more articulate in the ways of posting on ATS...give us all a break. We are still learning.

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Is this ATS material? I dont think so. Go to a different forum please. Thats like me starting a thread "Whats everyones favorite movie?" or "What did you eat for dinner last night?" Its got no need to be here.

[edit on 17-11-2008 by DroolsAlot]

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I think the dumbest thing I have ever heard told to me was that I was looking to bolster my points.....

I responded by repling : yea....

I think a n00b is someone who takes pride in having an opinion, period, no other sense but just to feel like they belong. AKA quantaty

While a newb AKA newbie is just a new comer to the arena, whether it be ATS or an only video game filled with pro's. He and or she or both.... idk... has the capability of adding AKA quality

[edit on 11/17/2008 by FoxStriker]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join