It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Star Trek trailer!!! Freaking awesome!!!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Saw trailer on Imax, looks great, looks like a more modern improved version of Star Trek!

The sylar guy has the perfect role as a vulcan! Do you agree!?

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by dalek

Bad news everyone as it will have a reset button at the end just like the series Enterprise was just a holodeck simulation.

From what the people I know who worked on it told me, it does. Paramount and Roddenberry's estate would never approve of all these changes for an actual reboot; they're too radical.

Please forgive the upcoming rant,I'm privy to info you aren't.

I can't believe all the people in this thread exciting themselves off into a frenzy over the trailer. Some of you are the same people who were complaining about how bad ENTERPRISE, VOYAGER, and other Rick Berman/Brannon Braga episodes were, due to over reliance on time travel.

Abrams, Orci, and Kurtzman are doing the same thing B&B did: they're essentially pushing the Reset Button at the end of the movie. The difference is that B&B never charged us $10 to sit through it.

Kurtzman and Orci think they're being clever by essentially changing history as Trekkers know it and then saying, "But that didn't really happen."

This isn't a prequel, it's a sidequel. In other words (SPOILERS)

* Kirk's parents get killed/tortured - but it didn't really happen.
* Vulcan gets invaded/destroyed -- but it didn't really happen.
* Pike mentors Kirk, shows him his "destiny" -- but it didn't really happen.
* Chekov gets killed - but it didn't really happen.

How is that exciting? If it was lazy writing on ENTERPRISE and VOYAGER, then it's lazy writing here.

You guys ever see any of those fan fiction-based ST Webisodes that are all over the Internet? Well, based on what I know and have seen, this film looks like a $150 million dollar fan fic film (albeit with better acting).

My prediction is that this'll be ST:TMP all over again: it'll make money because everyone will go see it; it'll get good reviews, but looking back everyone will finally admit that, while they enjoyed it, it wasn't really good STAR TREK. Except instead of 2001, they'll be comparing this to DAWSON'S CREEK and (bad) STAR WARS.

The good news is that, like ST:TMP, if it's successful, Paramount will then finally hire someone to give us a real ST movie. It probably won't be Abrams and company. They had the opportunity to do any ST story they wanted and they ended up going into the past rather than dealing with the future.

So kudos to you guys who are looking forward to this. It's just hard for me to get excited about this, from what I've been told/shown. To me it looks like lazy storytelling/filmmaking. I feel that ST deserves better.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I think if we can accept C3PO being made by Darth Vader as a boy, and the stupidity of Obi Wan picking Darth's homeland to hide Luke in Star Wars, we can accept some history alterations to Star Trek...

Sure, nothing will touch the original, and it will be hard for many Trekkers to accept new actors in those characters' roles...but look on the bright side, at least they didn't change characters' sexes and the entire concept like some other SciFi franchise....(I'm looking at you BSG....
)

[edit on 16-3-2009 by Gazrok]

<< 1   >>

join