It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Civil Marriages Are A Civil Right.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Marriage:a religious or legal union of two individuals.

In the legal world of the West faith has no say,civil rights are there for the benefit of every single person on the planet.

A civil marriage therefore is performed by a government official and not a religious organization.This practice dates back to the 17th century

So why,when two homosexuals want to get married,do Christian religions throw their toys out of the pram? The union is not religious,most of these people are not Christians,so what right have they to demand that this practice be stopped?

Some argue the Defense of Marriage Act,a federal law of the United States passed in 1996.But this law which actually breaches a persons civil rights.It violates constitutional rights;the Equal Protection Clause and the Due Process Clause.People can argue all they want,but it won't change the fact that this law is in violation of a person's civil rights.

Christian churches can only justify their protest if these marriages were taking place in a Christian church.But they are not.So,what right do they have to push their religious values into a place they have no right to be?
They can quote the Bible til the cows come home,but it won't change the fact that civil marriage is a union set up by a non-religious organization.(I'm sure they wouldn't like it if politicians spewed government laws at them about some of their religious practices.)

But none of this makes any difference to some Christians,they protest without a care,believing they have a right to dictate how another person lives.These people believe that because they answer to a higher power then so should everyone else.How wrong they are.Jesus gave people a choice,to follow him or not.He did not force his teachings on people,he gave people a choice.

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 09:35 AM
link   
When was the first instance of marriage? that might help you figure out who created it. The one that created it has charge over WHO it can belong to. If i had my way you would get no benifits for being married unless your raising a child. Its stupid to get a tax break just for moving in together.

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 09:42 AM
link   
what does the minister say.. when he pronounces them husband and wife.. ??? I know pronounce you husband and husband.. or wife and wife. ??? how does that work ?

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I will tell you why ...most Christians believe that if they did vote for it ..they would be condoning it (Which it would be ) ...so you will never get their approval for it ...And they are not trying to get all gays to turn to the Lord right now ...they are just saying we will not condone this behavour so we will vote no ..........

You can keep trying to get mainstream people to stand with you and vote for it though ....eventually it will more than likely happen sooner than you think ... since so many are turning away from the Lord ..and serving mammon instead of God ....

I agree with you about this in a way ...Rend unto the world what is of the world ..
As long as it does not become a MANDATE that Churches,Priests etc have to marry a gay couple ..then I personally see no problem with allowing them a marriage with the State ......(this is not me saying I condone it or would accept it as something God intented to happen or would bless ) the State and God are two different entities ................
But ...most gays do not really want to just get married ..they seem to want the blessings of God and the acceptance of people who believe in his word and that they will never get ..no matter if it becomes legal or not ...............
At least not as long as there are even a few left out here who do still believe in the word of God ..

California is about as liberal as they come and not that much of a Christian state .......if you cannot even convince them (Liberal Californians) to vote in your favor ..then I dont know what to tell you .......

[edit on 16-11-2008 by Simplynoone]

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I think I "love" the twins down the street (don't tell my wife...
) can I marry them also?

Where are my civil (special) rights?

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by RRconservative

Are you trying to set up a straw man RR?

The gay rights movement will be the next civil movement in this country... Remember the 60's? Well, its going to come back...

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.

This does not say all straight men... just as it doesn't say all white men... it is meant to be all encompassing... ALL MEN... gay, straight, Christian, Jewish... ALL...

Why is a homosexual less entitled to be happy?

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by nj2day

what about bi-sexuals???? can they marry both???? why not???

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by philjwolf

They can marry either a male or a female.. yes...

However polygamy is a completely different subject. Try to stay focused.

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 10:37 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf
When was the first instance of marriage? that might help you figure out who created it. The one that created it has charge over WHO it can belong to. If i had my way you would get no benifits for being married unless your raising a child. Its stupid to get a tax break just for moving in together.

The concept of Marriage predates Christianity and even Judaism by a longshot.

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 10:42 AM
link   
The creation of life has ALWAYS been religiously tied.... Its always been for reproduction and has always carried religious overtones.

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   

The creation of life has ALWAYS been religiously tied.... Its always been for reproduction and has always carried religious overtones.

Always is a pretty broad word...

Marriage no longer has anything to do with religion. Its the State's way of recognizing the union between two people.

Any religious connections you put on it now days is purely your own perceptions.

My wife and I are Atheists... how do we explain that one?

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 10:51 AM
link   
So call it a civil union. What is the big deal. The word "marriage" is after all just a word. Go back to when the first "marriage" was done, well fine but the word would not have been "marriage." The gay community, every single person is one of God's children. It is HIS job to decide what is right and wrong. Instead, they are being denied rights that very much affect their health, well being, and emotional being. Can not get health care through the marriage of their spouse, can not legally make that commitment to one another, and here is the worst. There are instances where they can not see their loved one if in the hospital or other facility if it is family only that are permitted. The list goes on and on. It is wrong. The Christians who support keeping rights from them are in much more sin then what they think their gay brothers and sisters are. It is none of any ones business. They are making a commitment to one person, what is the big deal. We do not rip the rights out from those who are married in the traditional form yet having an affair. What about that? I could go on and on but I won't. People need to take a deeper look at what their beliefs are doing to other people. The gays are not hurting anyone, so what gives anyone the right to hurt them?

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   

So how did you get married.... by an atheist justice of the peace?

It was a term created for a man and a woman. is that a lie?

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by jakyll

OOOH Yeaa, I love this thread it is going to be a boxing match, Whooo hooo. LLLETS GET READY TO RUMBLLLLE.
Religious fanatics you go first, followed by the extreme left. Then we will end up in some other discussion of god and the bible.
so every one get out your bible and put on the gloves.

[edit on 16-11-2008 by red 5]

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by philjwolf
reply to post by nj2day

what about bi-sexuals???? can they marry both???? why not???

Are you serious?

In your first post in the thread you asked how "it works" to pronounce a gay person married, and then you showed how it works. Words are words, and yes, they would be pronounced husband and husband if they wish.

And a bisexual person would marry a man or a woman. Bisexuality doesn't demand that you partner with a man and a woman at the same time

Seriously, some people should have a long conversation with themselves before they post.

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   

So how did you get married.... by an atheist justice of the peace?

It was a term created for a man and a woman. is that a lie?

The laws in my state mandate that you are married by an ordained priest. Luckily, I happen to have a friend... who is an ordained minister... problem solved... (we were married in Hell, Michigan on Halloween, in a very non-religious ceremony)

Gay was a term created as a synonym to happy

Faggot was a term created to mean a pile of wood

keyboard was a term created to mean the ivory keys of a piano.

Language grows and evolves... What something meant 200 yrs ago does not mean the definition is the same today.

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   

That's sad if you think the love between homosexuals is just them giving orgasms to one another. Honestly grow up ...

-Ign0RanT

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   
which is exaclty why this discussion needs to be made so that the government removes the tax breaks that it give to married people who are NOT raising a child. If you give everyone who gets married tax breaks and special privliges... then why wouldnt you assume its going to get abused? this is why they are very weary about same sex marriages because it exposes the possiblity of exploits with money as the goal.

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   
[It is none of any ones business]

Then why are you making it the States Business ..we are the state remember ..All of us (well we were anyway) ...we are all the voters who change laws etc (at least we used to be ) ...............

Your making it everyones business by asking we the people (who you say is not any of our business) to get involved to help you vote it into law (your making it our business) ..Or am I missing something here ?

The reason that my "Hubby" and I do not go and get married by the state ..is because we DONT THINK IT IS ANY OF THEIR BUSINESS ..and I do not feel as if I need their permission to marry ....I believe that it is between my hubby and me and GOD >>>..no one else ..

And I am not with him for what I can get after his death ..or what I could get while being married to him in the eyes of the state ....I could care less about any of that .
I came in with nothing ..I will go out with nothing ..I care not for worldy goods....

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join