It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mile-thick cloud of pollution is choking the planet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Did you think it was just California, China and Mexico?

The Scotsman

Published Date: 15 November 2008
By rhiannon edward

A MASSIVE mile-thick brown pollution haze has settled over vast areas of the planet, changing weather patterns and threatening health and crops, according to the UN.
Vast areas of Asia, the Middle East, southern Africa and the Amazon Basin, are affected by the smog-like plumes, caused mainly by the burning of fossil fuels and firewood, are known as "atmospheric brown clouds".

When mixed with emissions of carbon dioxide and other gases blamed for warming the earth's atmosphere like a greenhouse, they are the newest threat to the global environment, according to a report commissioned by the UN Environment Programme.

Brown clouds are caused by an unhealthy mix of particles, ozone and other chemicals that come from cars, coal-fired power plants, burning fields and wood-burning stoves. First identified by the report's lead researcher in 1990, the clouds were depicted in the report as being more widespread and causing more environmental damage than previously known.

Perhaps most widely recognised as the haze this past summer over Beijing's Olympics, the clouds have been found to be more than a mile thick around glaciers in the Himalaya and Hindu Kush mountain ranges.

They hide the sun and absorb radiation, leading to new worries not only about global climate change but also about extreme weather conditions.

The U.N. is just noticing.
:shk:

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Disgusting how no one cares about the environment!
Air? It's free and always clean lol.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
There was a time in the US when people cared enough to demand the establishment of the EPA. With a 30 year war against regulation and citizen interests, corporations have legally corrupted politicians and govt in a defacto takeover.

Citizens have been lulled into a false sense of ecological security, as what used to be in news (reports of pollution) has been replaced with what used to be considered tabloid material (note Tiger Woods, etc.). "Brown cloud, what brown cloud, I don't see any brown cloud, and if I don't see it, it musn't exist, or it has nothing to do with me."

What if all the mercury from coal plants and manufacturing that enters our air (and then water...think fish) is enough to cause neurological damage (autism, etc), in the same way ergot from rye contributed to illnesses of the Middle Ages (Saint Anthony's Fire)?

What if vaccinations are only a small contributor to what we put into our bodies nowadays, the rest coming from pollution in the environment around us?

What if the pollution from those brown clouds flows out on the winds aloft to other areas?

People deny global warming exists, but it's pretty hard to deny pollution exists. Corporations would rather have us debate global warming in order to keep our minds off pollution.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by desert
There was a time in the US when people cared enough to demand the establishment of the EPA. With a 30 year war against regulation and citizen interests, corporations have legally corrupted politicians and govt in a defacto takeover.

Citizens have been lulled into a false sense of ecological security, as what used to be in news (reports of pollution) has been replaced with what used to be considered tabloid material (note Tiger Woods, etc.). "Brown cloud, what brown cloud, I don't see any brown cloud, and if I don't see it, it musn't exist, or it has nothing to do with me."

What if all the mercury from coal plants and manufacturing that enters our air (and then water...think fish) is enough to cause neurological damage (autism, etc), in the same way ergot from rye contributed to illnesses of the Middle Ages (Saint Anthony's Fire)?

What if vaccinations are only a small contributor to what we put into our bodies nowadays, the rest coming from pollution in the environment around us?

What if the pollution from those brown clouds flows out on the winds aloft to other areas?

People deny global warming exists, but it's pretty hard to deny pollution exists. Corporations would rather have us debate global warming in order to keep our minds off pollution.

Well said! (Better than me!)
You NEVER hear about clean air, anymore or pollution!
Airnow, the EPA website of air pollution index is so lame. Thank You!

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Thank you, Clearskies. I could write my response, only because you started the idea.

Here's an example of what makes the news and what doesn't. The only time we have heard of Uganda lately is the news of their anti-gay law. But here's another story that, while not horrific or sensational as the other one, certainly should be known as well, for it is one that has more far reaching effects for us all. Uganda solar ovens

It goes along with lessening the need for wood gathering and burning. Less plant destruction and pollution.

How much asthma, allergies and other illnesses are caused by (air) pollution? It would be better to NOT have to NEED the health care we spend so much money on. We are bombarded with advertisements for drugs/treatments to help illnesses, when we really need the elimination of the cause.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by desert

You're right.
Also, there is housing people can build that doesn't need ANY heating or cooling, you can get gas(used cooking oil) for a diesel engine at your local dairy queen and filter it yourself to make biofuel.
solar power, wind power............etc....
why not?
BECAUSE THERE IS NO MONEY IN IT FOR TPTB!
Now, we are breathing air, like a dirty fishbowl and not one word!

top topics

join