It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada - Obtaining a survival firearm

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I don't need to get into why I am considering getting a survival/home defense firearm (I think it's obvious enough), but I live Canada. So far I think I have figured out the rules for obtaining a firearms license:

Type 1: No restrictions. Allows you to have a bolt action rifle or shotgun.
Type 2: Must have a reason to obtain this license (belonging to a gun club is an excuse). Type 2 covers handguns and semi-auto rifles (as long as the clip is 10 rounds or less)

Now into what type of firearm(s) to get.
For home defense I have heard a lot of mixed opinions on whether or not to use a shotgun. So far I am leaning towards a revolver as I am not experienced at all with guns and I like that I can rely on a revolver never to jam up. I have also heard many people swear by the effectiveness of the .357 round. However as I mentioned before, this requires getting a type 2 license.
For survival, I have heard countless people say a .22lr bolt action rifle is a staple. They are also the least restricted rifle in Canada as far as I can tell.

I would really appreciate some input here from experienced users of firearms, especially Canadians who have gone through the steps of obtaining a Canadian firearms license.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Trauma

Canadian Firearms Program FAQ
www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca...

Non-restricted firearms are ordinary rifles and shotguns, other than those referred to below.

You can get a restricted license if you claim to collect firearms. Silly I know.
But with a restricted license you can buy handguns, semi-automatic, centre-fire rifles and shotguns with a barrel shorter than 470 mm (about 18.5 inches); rifles and shotguns that can be fired when their overall length has been reduced by folding, telescoping or other means to less than 660 mm (about 26 inches); and firearms restricted by Criminal Code Regulations and possibly prohibited firearms (full auto etc) although I haven't looked into that bit.

LeBarons sells .50 cal hunting rifles for $149 and up, a lot of decent ones running in the $229-$249 range.

So basically you go take the test and if you pass you get a license that's good for 5 years. You must renew it every 5 years or else you'll have to take the test again. Test runs $125'ish depending on your area and instructor.

.22's are great for small game but you'll really need a larger caliber for animals like deer

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Just my 2 cents..but a gun for your protection, is silly. It makes you a target.
Your brain is a far better weapon.
Use it.
Yes, I'm Canadian.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I don't live in Canada but have traveled there on a hunting trip with firearms. If you do not intend to practice with a hand gun I would stay away from it. I think that you can have shotguns with 20" barrels but I am not sure. If so get a "coach gun" this is a side by side shot gun with 20" barrels. This should be a type one permit and very handy for in the house. You can also use it to shoot birds. My permit was a class one for traveling and hunting and I was able to bring in my lever action rifle. These are a little quicker for follow up shots for most people than a bolt action. Given my short time hunting up there I would say get something along the lines of a .308 or 30-06. Your animals run to the larger size there than down here in the states. Only person from Canada that I ever met that I didn't like real well is my mother in law.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Hmm thanks for the replies! I guess I will have to start being an amateur gun collector then so I can obtain my restricted license. I know the .50 caliber is really powerful and a .308 would probably be better for a beginner like myself.
To accessdenied, I think that's a gross oversimplification and I would beg to differ. If a robber knows you have a gun or sees you pointing one at him, I have a feeling you will cease to be a target. A gun is by all means, a LAST RESORT. I would much rather be fending for my life against an attacker with a gun than with a knife.
As far as survival, I think we can all agree that hunting is easiest and most effective with a gun. However I have considered the implications of not being able to find ammunition (especially here) so a crossbow may also be a good alternative for hunting.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by AccessDenied
Just my 2 cents..but a gun for your protection, is silly. It makes you a target.
Use it.
Yes, I'm Canadian.

Silly? Really? So you're saying that in a survival situation, you'd rather forgo the gun? And just how are you going to hunt for food? Unless you're a vegan or something like that.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Canadian here. When I've got my own place, I'll probably get a shotgun. It's really the way to go for any kind of urban defense.

In a survival situation with a shotgun, you'll always have the advantage unless you happen to come across someone with a rifle (with a scope) who is specifically trying to attack you, which is pretty slim unless you are expecting a police state.

Don't forget about slugs, which basically turn your shotgun into a rifle.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 03:21 PM
link   
If you are speaking from a home defense weapon, the I think you are on the right track. A shotgun is great for home defense because they have stopping power and you can use shot. Shot will not go through walls like a .357 will. A revolver is also superlative in a home protection firearm. Reliable.

As for a survival rifle, I do not belong to the .22 school. .22 handgun in a survival role? Yes! However, I like the SMLE, K31, SKS, Mosin, Mauser, M1, Even a hunting rifle like a savage 99.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerico65

Originally posted by AccessDenied
Use it.
Yes, I'm Canadian.

Silly? Really? So you're saying that in a survival situation, you'd rather forgo the gun? And just how are you going to hunt for food? Unless you're a vegan or something like that.

Vegan, no..smart yes.
Use a small trap for animals like rabbits.
Use a crossbow for larger game.
The minute you take a shot, it's heard all around you. Others looking for food or ammo will begin to hunt YOU. The hunter, becomes the hunted.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Threads like this make me very very glad I live where I do. I walked into a gun dealership two nights ago and walked out with this

If I were in your shoes and could pick only one weapon for defense/survival, I would have to go with a shotgun, preferably a Remington 870. However, Mossberg and Winchester make fine firearms as well.

As another poster said, load a slug and you have a rifle to take deer and bear with. Load 7 1/2 shot and you are shooting rabbits and birds. Buckshot for home defense. All around, you really cant beat it. Also, easy enough to load shotgun shells once you get set up.

A .22 is okay for certain situations. Granted, no one likes to get shot, but if I must pull the trigger, I want to know my would be attacker is on the ground, not looking for a little hole in his shirt.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Also a Canadian here. I got a type 2 license, and I think if your going the effort of any kind of license, this is the type to get. You are able to purchase cross bows as well as handguns and are far more likely to be able to collect them if you choose.

I bought a Berretta FS96G which is a .40 cal version of the popular police issue Beretta. I have found it to be exemplary for ease of use, and in ease of cleaning. www.beretta.com...

Each person may have different reasons for owning a gun, but I feel that by taking the courses and familiarizing myself with the guns, and their pro's and cons I was able to make better choices about the type of gun I wanted to have around my house. (IE: A desert eagle is cool, but at 5$ per round and in a world meltdown I would be hard pressed to find ammunition for it.) Safety is a big concern around guns, so proper education is very important with any guns.

I am going to buy a couple more guns, probably a Remington R700 (for hunting) and a Shotgun (general defense), but thats dependent on how the world goes in the next little while. For people that insist that you do not need guns, I would have to disagree, as the person or persons invading your home and violating your family probably wont have the same aversion to guns.

Thanks for reading
..Ex

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 04:53 AM
link   
For home defense nothing beats a good 12 gauge shotgun. you dont even have to be a good shot, just point the barrel at the target and fire, odds are that a good 90% of the shot will hit them. For survival a .22LR bolt action rifle is a must. and for a handgun id look at a glock 17 9MM, or a colt 1911 .45. A .357 revolver is a great gun but the recoil is a bitch if you dont hold it right.
hope this helps, cheers.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Trauma:
Semi-auto is not restricted in Canada. Anything (unless specifically prohibited) over 26" in total length in firing mode is unrestricted.
As far as the license goes, it really isn't that difficult. My licence is good for unrestricted, restricted as well as one class of prohibited.
v3_exceed; No license necessary for bows or crossbows as far as I know. Check the regulations.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 04:40 AM
link   

LeBarons sells .50 cal hunting rifles for $149 and up, a lot of decent ones running in the $229-$249 range.

Where do you see that? The lowest I can see is around 600$...

join