The Statue few know about

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by imd12c4funn

No problem on the Snopes link; I like the chance to throw in some source material when I can. By the way, your avatar is both awesome and creepy...well done!

On the bonus side, I suspect you'll still rake in some nice star and flag action here. Like Ecidemon said, I doubt many will see these posts or follow the link (to read about how Mr Kalat is actually "harshly critical of the U.S." and all of that that).
treacle > facts
(sometimes)

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 07:07 PM
link   
The Iraqi's hate the USA even more than they hated Saddam, and that should be obvious to even the most ignorant flag wavers. (Ask yourself, what kind of armed resistance did the Iraqi's mount against Saddam?)

GET WITH IT! The dude who made the statue was paid to do it, at the request of the USA army. Read the snopes link!

This type of lying self-glorification is disgusting. ("Oh -- look how the Iraqi's love us!") The USA is now doing the exact thing that they accused Saddam Hussein of doing, what with his plastering images of himself all over the place, making himself look good when really everyone hated him.

And now the USA is doing it. Good perspective guys! Pull your collective heads out. Sheesh!

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Vault-D

Well that sucks. I thought maybe this was one case where we were apprciated in Iraq and I was taken back a little. For one minute I actually felt as if we helped someone. I felt good, but then scope.com came along. Back to "reality" I guess...

[edit on 15-11-2008 by Unlimitedpossibilities]

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Vault-D

Ya gotta love Snopes!

In spite of all that, the idea of honoring our fallen soldiers is a good thing.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 09:23 PM
link   
This reminds me of the Veterans Day Tribute I found this year, which was created by an SFC of the 4th ID, HQ Baghdad. It was one of the best Tributes I have ever witnessed, and I promptly sent it to everyone I know. This Div. is really putting forth a great face during OIF, which is doing a Great Job at countering the pathetic MSM disinformation campaign.

This Statue and its Creation also coincide with ALL of the countless correspondence I have received from Personnel involved in OIF, and OEF. So often I have heard Iraqis declare that the Americans are "Heaven Sent Guardian Angels", and "Saviors From God" who have saved them and their entire Village. I have heard this from the very start, yet the MSM refuses to report such accolade.

Great Thread

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheAgentNineteen
This reminds me of the Veterans Day Tribute I found this year, which was created by an SFC of the 4th ID, HQ Baghdad. It was one of the best Tributes I have ever witnessed, and I promptly sent it to everyone I know. This Div. is really putting forth a great face during OIF, which is doing a Great Job at countering the pathetic MSM disinformation campaign.

This Statue and its Creation also coincide with ALL of the countless correspondence I have received from Personnel involved in OIF, and OEF. So often I have heard Iraqis declare that the Americans are "Heaven Sent Guardian Angels", and "Saviors From God" who have saved them and their entire Village. I have heard this from the very start, yet the MSM refuses to report such accolade.

Great Thread

Apparently, then, they mean "those who were sent with money", all in good faith, of course....

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unlimitedpossibilities
reply to post by Vault-D

Well that sucks. I thought maybe this was one case where we were apprciated in Iraq and I was taken back a little. For one minute I actually felt as if we helped someone. I felt good, but then scope.com came along. Back to "reality" I guess...

Don't worry, I have fought in Iraq and can tell you from first hand experiance that we are greatly appreciated in Iraq.

I honestly shed a tear every time I see this statue. I have seen a few friends buried because of this war and can relate to what this statue is depicting.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I love the sentiment of course,
Is it me, but that little girl does not look Iraqi

She looks very,for want of a better term "Western"

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by jd140

Originally posted by Unlimitedpossibilities
reply to post by Vault-D

Don't worry, I have fought in Iraq and can tell you from first hand experiance that we are greatly appreciated in Iraq.

I honestly shed a tear every time I see this statue. I have seen a few friends buried because of this war and can relate to what this statue is depicting.

I know it's personal, but could you share with us what this statue means to you? Regardless of what it's intent was, this is important to me.

Edited out personal experience as I feel it would only serve as bait.

[edit on 15-11-2008 by Ecidemon]

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 10:47 PM
link   

The sculpture pictured above is real, and it was indeed crafted by an Iraqi sculptor from bronze recovered by melting down statues of former Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein, but the accompanying explanatory text is quite misleading: The Iraqi sculptor was not "forced by Saddam Hussein to make the many hundreds of bronze busts of Saddam," he did not produce the memorial shown because he was "so grateful that the Americans liberated his country," and the monument was not his idea. Members of the U.S. Army paid the sculptor, who had previously worked on a few other Saddam statues, to create the work pictured according to a design of their choosing.

Snopes

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by jd140

And as a vet myself, I thank you Sir for your service. I don't much care what some say, i like the statue as well no matter how it came to be. and I am sure more Iraqis are thankful to the U.S. and our Allies then are sad that Saddam's gone.

Take care

Just to add what this statue means to me no matter what the circumstance of its creation. For those of us who have stood a post and have lost friends in combat. We can never fully compensate or honor them to the degree they deserve. However, we can honor them by remembering them and remembering what they gave for their country. Their life..... Sorry it is personal to me.

[edit on 15-11-2008 by geemony]

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 12:24 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Vault-D

I disagree, I think the girl shows even more Iraqi sympathy; like even the future generations will feel the same way, but that's just me.

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Don't worry. Most folks will not visit the Snopes link. They will just see the picture and caption on the first page. Then they will post something trite about how the Iraqis really appreciate us afterall. Because that's what ATS is all about, loving our government, right or wrong. Right?

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Thanx so much for the clarification..it is certainly a good human interest story, that despite the deception , in the end the deaths were very real, the grief was real, the soldiers chipping in, and the finalization of the statue to honor their comrades was real, and fulfilled its purpose..it made us remember, the deception I am sure , will not make us any less sensitive, less caring, nor feel stupid..for falling initially believing , just makes us all human, and when we here a similar story from there, it probably wont make us care any less than we did here...
Thats not such a bad thing..
The giftwrap was bad yes, but the gift itself..was very nice.

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

We had to go in because millions were dying in Iraq? Did you know the millions that were dying there were doing so because of U.S. sanctions in the first place?

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Distractions4Nothing
Don't worry. Most folks will not visit the Snopes link. They will just see the picture and caption on the first page. Then they will post something trite about how the Iraqis really appreciate us afterall. Because that's what ATS is all about, loving our government, right or wrong. Right?

Lol. That's true I guess. I mean, this is uncommon on ATS after all right? Are we not suppose to against the war completely because it just causes perpetual strife, even if we are appreciated just a little bit? I guess the greater good comes into play somewhere perhaps, or that's the justified reason for this war.

Truthfully, I would so much rather all our troops just be on pure defense for this country. I am tired. ttyl

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vault-D
Snopes dot com

The core of the story is good enough, without dishonest embellishment.

The sculpture pictured above is real, and it was indeed crafted by an Iraqi sculptor from bronze recovered by melting down statues of former Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein, but the accompanying explanatory text is quite misleading...

Personally, I'd like the statue better without the little girl, but that's just my taste. It's a nice design, though.

]{edit: you did mention the source, my bad]

[edit on 15-11-2008 by Vault-D]

Good find & clarification mate!
A well deserved star for you..

I think this 'misleading-text' case that you shown is a good example of how
any kind information can be twisted for disinformation, even before
it entered the MSM machinery...

And, of course, it also showed how ignorant MSM can be nowadays, to run
such a story without further investigations.

Again, cheers for the find!

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Vault-D

You are missing the point. Sorry.

Ideology has nothing to do with art. It is the society that has marginalized artists and forced them to work for MONEY.

That's why you're missing the ART in this and in all other cases.

Sorry, again.

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Andre Neves
Now imagine if the media found out that the man who made the statue raped a woman when he was younger, or maybe they found a picture of him in the backround of an American flag burning during the Saddam reign. Then, I bet, this would statue be on every network.

All they want is controversy.

Yup, just like the Jessica Lynch story. In reality she was wounded, captured, and then given the best bed in an Iraqi hospital at the beginning of the war. They interviewed the nurses that cared for her after the fact. The Iraqi's actually tried to deliver her back to the Americans because she was so severely injured they could not offer her top of the line care.

Remember the story the media posted on that? They claim she was sodomized and slapped around in the hospital by the doctors! That story was all over the news, when the TRUTH came out it did not receive nearly as much coverage. Much like the babies killed in incubators.

new topics
top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join